TTO Playoffs (PLAY ASAP!) + Prize photos

Started by Blink, September 24, 2010, 04:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnanimous

Magnanimous over LordDjango 15 - 5

I forgot to take the screenshot at the end though, and when remembered the score had been pushed off the chat log. :S Here's the best I could do, which at least shows that I won... Though I could ask LordDjango to confirm it.
Best 40 Lines: 37:74 (162.18 TPM) on NullpoMino

doperide

Hey, just wanted to report a match. I would have used the form at http://harddrop.com/tourney but I don't have an accurate screenshot...

Winner's Tetris Friends Name:
DoPeRiDe

Winner's Score:

Loser's Tetris Friends Name:
Mind_Swept

Loser's Score:

Here's a link to the screenshot I took the game after the 'first to 15' match ended. http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3415/tetrisscreen.jpg
As you can see, Mind_Swept got the last win after I already reached 15. Sorry I stuffed up and forgot to print screen it when I should of.

ragnatic

It's considered fair play if I use my gamepad (with joy2key) instead of the keyboard?

Blink

Quote from: ragnatic
It's considered fair play if I use my gamepad (with joy2key) instead of the keyboard?

yeah, joysticks/gamepad is okay.

Brackets after day 1:  http://harddrop.com/file/tto2.html

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: doperide
Winner's Tetris Friends Name:
DoPeRiDe

Winner's Score:

Loser's Tetris Friends Name:
Mind_Swept

Loser's Score:
Was spectating this game and can confirm 15-12 is the correct score.

myndzi

Quote from: Rosti_LFC
I disagree. Finding the top 16 or whatever doesn't really work without a heavily seeded system, but in theory the top player should win the final regardless of whatever path they have to take to get there. It doesn't matter if you're playing tough opponents in the first rounds or the last few rounds, if you're going to win the tournament you're still going to have to face them and beat them eventually.

I guess I agree. I'd still rather see the best matches at the end than the beginning, though. And it's undeniable that elim produces a different "type" of matchup scenario than Swiss, I just didn't nail the distinction down as well as I liked.

By the way, I have been considering the 1 vs n/2, 2 vs n/2+1, etc. seeding order. The intent, to my understanding, is to offer the low players the best match while still being fair, however if you consider it all the way towards the end, you will see that what it really does is offer everyone in the bottom half the hardest matches all the way through, in fact increasing the likelihood that the top N/2 players will stay the top N/2 players. If we consider that seeding is representative of skill, this seeding method makes hard games slightly easier for the very bottom players (though they'll still almost certainly lose, so this isn't really an advantage), but it completely eliminates the "close" matches in the middle of the bracket, instead forcing everybody in the bracket to play at an N/2 seeding gap. I was considering advocating this for next time until I realized that.

In all, the traditional seeding elim is still best to me. It starts out with highly disparate matches, yes, but as the bracket compresses, the match intensity increases straight up through the finals.

mippo

maybe there should be a notice on the tourney page asking people who spectate to only leave matches in between games, to minimize lag from spectators entering and leaving?

Rosti_LFC

myndzi, I'm still perfectly fine with seeding the top 25% or so of players, to make sure that the very top people aren't playing each other until later on, but I don't think with a playing field of 256 that it hurts too much if the rest of the people aren't seeded. You're still going to be knocking the same number of people out each round, so the same number of people are going to be annoyed at losing, but personally I'd be less annoyed losing 15-13 than I would be losing 15-1. If you keep the top players apart and then mix up everyone else then you're far more likely to get close games than if you pit the fairly good directly against the fairly bad.

Case in point would be that I watched DoPeRide vs Mind_Swept last night, and it was a really good close game that was entertaining to watch, and presumably entertaining for both players too. They're seeded 115 and 142, so fairly close, and from the looks of the results so far there weren't many other close games like that, just because when you've got 64th seed playing 212th, the game is never going to be particularly close unless the seedings are wrong to begin with.

Shuey

So we have to get a screenshot after every game, until someone reaches 15 wins, winning by at least 2 matches, right?

What is the best/fastest way to get a screenshot because there's really only about 15 seconds between each game, and that's not much time to get a screenshot and save it to a file.

Is anyone using a good freeware program to do this?

Thanks

larrytetris

Quote from: Shuey
So we have to get a screenshot after every game, until someone reaches 15 wins, winning by at least 2 matches, right?

What is the best/fastest way to get a screenshot because there's really only about 15 seconds between each game, and that's not much time to get a screenshot and save it to a file.

Is anyone using a good freeware program to do this?

Thanks
Print screen button
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

iphys

You just need one screenshot at the end.  Keep track of the score in the chat, and then it will be visible for a while.  I think on Windows computers you just have to hit a key on your keyboard that says something like Print Screen to get a screenshot.

Rosti_LFC

Yeah, you only need a screenshot at the end of the match, not after the end of each individual game. That'd be a bit crazy =P

DarkERocker

DarkERocker over Slappingthemonky, no show, played for 40 minutes with RyanJCarlson

DDRKirbyISQ

already submitted a match report, but TC_DDRKirbyISQ over BuffaloCrossing, noshow.