The Anime/Manga Thread

Started by Rosti_LFC, July 19, 2009, 02:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosti_LFC

A thread for proper anime (ie not Bleach, Naruto, Pokémon, Digimon - though at a stretch I'll allow One Piece) and also manga. Post thoughts on your favourite shows or shows you're currently watching. Use spoiler boxes for spoilers (the 'hide' tags), seeing as there's no point in recommending someone a show and spoiling it at the same time.

List of what I'm currently watching, plan to see and have seen: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/RostiLFC

Currently watching the second series of FullMetal Alchemist, which is everything the first series should have been. Better animation, better plot pacing, and now that they've finally split off from retelling the first series, it's looking like the overall story is better as well.

Also watching the second series of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. First series is one of the best anime series I've ever seen, but this Endless Eight arc in the second series is really starting to piss me off.

Halfway through Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which is so far living up to it's #1 place at myanimelist. It's really really good, and I'm loving it so far, despite not usually being a fan of mecha series. Good story, and some of the twists in the plot really came as a surprise.

Blink

so lately besides Bleach/Naruto and DragonBall Kai i've been watching an AWESOME Capcom anime called Sengoku Basara, that member iLLWiLL introduced me to.  I definitely recommend it, there's only been 1 seasn so far (12 episodes) , and the action is nonstop.   Here is the intro:

kitty

Quote from: Blink
so lately besides Bleach/Naruto and DragonBall Kai i've been watching an AWESOME Capcom anime called Sengoku Basara, that member iLLWiLL introduced me to.  I definitely recommend it, there's only been 1 seasn so far (12 episodes) , and the action is nonstop.   Here is the intro:

whoa. hot guys + cool moves = i will watch
kitty

iLLWiLL

i told him about it and he watched all 12 in the same day. =]
"You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don't trust enough."

AOL Instant Messenger: iLL WiLL Fo Real
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/William.Pham

I <3

cubestang04

oh, cool thred, iam into some more hardcore shows and movies tho, i will list all the ones i like, i just got finished watching elfin lied, and i dint like it that much

elfin lied
gundam
fist of the north star
evengeilieon
ninja scroll
guyver
devilman
genocyber
cybernetics guardian
ledgand of the ovierfiend
tekkomon
genorator grawl

ahh, i could keep on going tho, but i wont, i will say i did enjoy most of thoes, iam trying to find another anime to watch, any thing new out there?

Baxter

This is what I've seen http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Baxter_

Quotei just got finished watching elfin lied, and i dint like it that much
You didn't? The ending was awesome!

QuoteAlso watching the second series of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. First series is one of the best anime series I've ever seen, but this Endless Eight arc in the second series is really starting to piss me off.
Only watched the first new episode sofar... that one I definately liked.

I_AM_SAND

I really liked Toradora!.

virulent

;o there's a 2nd series to fma?! do you have a link to where i can stream it :x
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
[/div]

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: virulent
;o there's a 2nd series to fma?! do you have a link to where i can stream it :x

Don't stream it. If you're not going to pay for DVDs then watch it properly. Eclipse probably have the best fansub for the new series, so google "eclipse fansubs" and go find the torrents for the proper episodes. HD (even if it's upscaled) is way better than streaming, unless you're stupidly stuck for hard-drive space.
It's not a new story though. It's the same story as the old series, just without all the crap at the end and they've fixed the dozens of things that made the first series suck.

cubestang04: if you liked Gundam and Eva, then go watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Code Geass.

clincher

Key's animes are great
Clannad
Air
Kanon
It's all about the love

Caithness

Quote from: Rosti_LFC
Don't stream it. If you're not going to pay for DVDs then watch it properly. Eclipse probably have the best fansub for the new series, so google "eclipse fansubs" and go find the torrents for the proper episodes. HD (even if it's upscaled) is way better than streaming, unless you're stupidly stuck for hard-drive space.

Streaming FMA from Funimation's site is free AND legal, though.  And way easier than downloading via torrent.  The only thing I use Bittorent for any more is Linux images.

As for what I'm watching right now, it's mainly just Dragonball Kai and Cross Game.  Some Saturdays I also catch Shinkenger/Kamen Rider Decade and Fresh Precure, but I don't go back and find uploads of those if I miss the live broadcast.  And sometimes on Friday I watch Atashin'chi, but I don't know if anyone even uploads that any more.

There are quite a few series that I've watched the first few episodes of, and am interested in seeing the rest, but for some reason just never get around to it. These would be:

Kurenai
Michiko to Hacchin
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode
Higashi no Eden
Galaxy Express 999
Edit: Oh, and also Scrapped Princess

Rosti_LFC

Since when was downloading via torrent something which was difficult? More difficult perhaps than an online video stream, but hardly a mental or physical challenge.

Legality and supporting companies that licence anime is a different story, but I'll still buy DVD's or torrent, and boycott the video streams until they start putting up ones that are a proper video quality and, presumably, not with appalling English dubs (wouldn't know for sure because streaming doesn't work in the UK any more).

I've seen Kurenai, and for the short length of the series I thought it was very good. For a 13-episode anime with an actual plot it was done very well IMO.

Red_Star

Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star) by far my favorite action anime there is. The key to it being so great is it doesn't have that issue of tons of talking in between fights. In fact the main character hardly talks at all.

Lupin the Third is always fun to watch, great art style and hilarious characters. It is a good anime to watch when you want guns and comedy. Trigun was one of my all time favorites as far as stories go and one of the coolest protagonist. Besides those I watch a few other older animes. Not really into the new animes, especially after I tried to watch Bleach only to find it reminded me of Inuyasha and its 200 or so episodes of fillers and no character development.

I also watch fan service animes and loli animes when I am bored. Honestly their stories seem as deep as most of the animes I have tried watching.

I was going to mention Pokemon, but I believe the first post asked for no Pokemon(It was amazing in its own ways, but I will avoid getting into it).

Ohh, and for mangas, Love Hina is where it is at. First manga I have ever read and I loved it. It isn't an incredible story, but it was very funny.
Play Cultris

Rosti_LFC

Finished Gurren Lagann a couple of days ago. Fantastic series.

Started on Baccano!, which is pretty good so far and a bit of a mindfuck. Some of the characters in it are awesome though.

Also started Hajime no Ippo, which is shaping up to be really good from the first few episodes. Part of that is a bit of nostalgia from when did boxing for a few months though.

Monte

hajime no ippo is dat shiz. best anime ever without a doubt and anybody that says otherwise is some loli lovin weeabo! not really watching anything this season. Tried out the first two episodes of Canaan but I wasn't wowed so I don't know if I'll continue with it.
Monte: you scared of the rookie of the year
Digital: sigh, I'm soooo scared
Digital: *digital pees in his pants*