Bringing NullpoMino back to life

Started by lenny, April 02, 2015, 05:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

I recently started a NullpoMino fork to continue it's development. I hope to have a beta of 7.6 within the next several weeks with some critical fixes, and 8.0 a couple months after to fix up some of the main complaints. If there's anything you want to see fixed or changed, just file an issue. Pull requests are always welcome!

Paul676

will your 7.6 beta have line race race, dig race race, etc like the current 7.6 has? and will it have the belzebub league mod?
               Tetris Belts!

Alexsweden

Awesome! Hope you will have time to do what you have planed to do!

Rosti_LFC

It needs an overhaul of the entire GUI to make it actually usable by people who aren't tetris nerds - something in the vein of what Zeromeaner is doing. In its current state Nullpomino isn't a game, it's a huge sandbox toolkit that allows you to make various games to play with no inherent indication or direction of what the fuck is going on. Likewise the options menus present far too many settings to the user, a lot of which have no real clear indication of what they do. For people who just want to get stuck in and play some Tetris it's a long way from ideal.

When a program relies on users to make guides on how to use the program, then it has crappy UX design Users shouldn't need to make guides like that, and people shouldn't have to read them to navigate the game. I'd say some actual thought and development around the UX, in particular towards less hardcore players, is easily what Nullpomino (and Heboris before it) has always lacked.

Sisu

previous forks:requests:OR

if you really want to knock our (and Puyo Nexus') socks off...

integrate existing other nullpomino puzzle modes into online multiplayer, starting with "Avalanche":

see Tetris to Puyo damage conversion

ToastyKen

Hey thanks for doing this. code.google.com is going away, so if nothing else having a github branch will keep the game alive.

I discovered that the existing lwjgl didn't work with Java 1.7 or Java 1.8. Looks like you probably ran into the same issue and updated it already..

I love the existing UI. Please keep that! I mean, feel free to add an "easy setup" menu if you need to, but please don't take options away or completely change the UI like some of the existing forks...

Corrosive

Quote from: Rosti_LFC
It needs an overhaul of the entire GUI to make it actually usable by people who aren't tetris nerds - something in the vein of what Zeromeaner is doing. In its current state Nullpomino isn't a game, it's a huge sandbox toolkit that allows you to make various games to play with no inherent indication or direction of what the fuck is going on. Likewise the options menus present far too many settings to the user, a lot of which have no real clear indication of what they do. For people who just want to get stuck in and play some Tetris it's a long way from ideal.

When a program relies on users to make guides on how to use the program, then it has crappy UX design Users shouldn't need to make guides like that, and people shouldn't have to read them to navigate the game. I'd say some actual thought and development around the UX, in particular towards less hardcore players, is easily what Nullpomino (and Heboris before it) has always lacked.
"私は高速ブロックとセクシーな女性が好き"
"Put some stank on those blocks."

ToastyKen

I agree that the menu layouts could use work!

I mean more that the general "feel" of the menu seems fine to me, and is better than replacing it with Swing or something.

tpanderson

I think Extreme needs to be nerfed down a bit, so that it won't be too fast, especially in last 5 levels, Level 16-20

derder

I agree with the peeps stating that the UI is complicated for beginners, but what is important is, that you don't get rid of functions that are already implemented. users who want those functions should have access to them, maybe getting some more explanations about them, but should not be reliant on modding them back in themself.

KOManiacJim

The Features are essential and I might look at the code and try to make my own fork with Randall Cook's Supertris. You know, The one with the burps and farts.

CH4F

I don't know if this project is dead or not.
But, if I have request, it will be adding other Tetris Worlds modes, like Sticky or Avalanche.

Either way, I'd like more to se an entire new code, being an actual replacement of Nullpo than a fork. Like, the same idea of being basically an arcade puzzle engine, but with tons of customizations, inspired by powerful engines like StepMania.

Master

attentionwandered

Nice! I have been taking a look at the nullpomino source and the swing version runs fine.  The GUI is minimal but even nullpo league wasnt very friendly.  I am gonna try and drop as much code as possible into GWT and see what comes out. wish me luck!