HD Team League Season 2

Started by myndzi, April 25, 2011, 10:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

you wasted your time, we were just trolling :x
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: myndzi
Glancing over the results, the spread appears very even.
Potentially not relevant at all, but people often mistake how spread something looks to true randomness or fairness. In tests people will usually pick out a sequence generated to be fairly equally distributed as the "random" distribution and not a test sequence that was actually randomly generated.

killahbee

please add anonymous to the element roster

Anonymous

oi, i don't know if this is the right thread, but since this is an attempt at "team tetris", can we add a mode that's like 2v2 typea/b/etc mode c:

maybe you can have a randomizer that determines if it's just 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3 or something? i haven't thought it out completely, but it would be a cool idea!
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

myndzi

Quote from: Rosti_LFC
Potentially not relevant at all, but people often mistake how spread something looks to true randomness or fairness. In tests people will usually pick out a sequence generated to be fairly equally distributed as the "random" distribution and not a test sequence that was actually randomly generated.

The goal here isn't "random" in the true sense, it's "unpredictable but as evenly spread as possible." Last season was "true" random, and we had some teams that pulled one type once and some that pulled it every match - and that is the nature of random - but for my purposes, it's not ideal.

Anonymous: 2v2 and the like has been suggested multiple times, but I've declined each time. In my opinion, 2v2 matches have extremely few traits that involve teamwork at all, plus it would be hard to work into the format as I have defined it. Besides which, there are 2v2 tournaments already being run. In short, I don't believe it would add anything solid to HDTL.

bee: done.

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: Anonymous
oi, i don't know if this is the right thread, but since this is an attempt at "team tetris", can we add a mode that's like 2v2 typea/b/etc mode c:

maybe you can have a randomizer that determines if it's just 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3 or something? i haven't thought it out completely, but it would be a cool idea!
I also think this would be pretty awesome.

Ravendarksky

Update the first post in this thread with the new type G information please.
Ie game rules, preset code etc.

It might also be useful to give the games shorthand names. We have been calling them:

Game Type|Shorthand
Type A   TOJ
Type B   AllSpins
Type C   Combo
Type D   BlockBox
Type E   Tnet
Type F   Tetris DS
Type G   TGM

ohitsstef

@ myndzi.. what other 2v2 tournaments are there currently?

I'd think the 2v2/3v3 would be more team orientated than your current format.. just switch some rules around or whatever. It'd certainly be much more fun.. and instead of having every play 5 matches you could just do best out of 3 again. -shrugs-

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

goofer

myndzi

Quote from: ohitsstef
@ myndzi.. what other 2v2 tournaments are there currently?

I'd think the 2v2/3v3 would be more team orientated than your current format.. just switch some rules around or whatever. It'd certainly be much more fun.. and instead of having every play 5 matches you could just do best out of 3 again. -shrugs-

There has been one on TF and one on Cultris in recent history. I don't think "running exactly now" is a requirement that needs to be met for this sort of thing

I understand if you guys have a desire for 2v2 competition, but I am fairly firmly decided against it in HDTL. If you want to convince me, you will need to make a case for how it would contribute significantly to HDTL. Just telling me you want or like 2v2 is not enough. I want to know two things specifically: 1) what about it actually foments team spirit and 2) what makes it markedly different from the modes already offered. Even if these are answered satisfactorily, implementation is still undesirable: you will wind up with something that may randomly favor one team over the other simply because they showed more players. A 3 player minimum is the current requirement, but "4 or 3 if you get lucky" is not something I'm in favor of.

If there is a lot of demand for 2v2 competition "right now", I have a couple interesting things up my sleeve, but they may require you to download a modified/dev nullpo to play. I'll post a thread about them and if there is enough interest I'll get it put together for you guys. I think a separate one-off 2v2 tournament would be a much better idea.

Raven: How did I forget that?! Thanks.

myndzi

Standings updated to reflect set points from both wins and losses. Set points are basically how much you "won" or "lost" by - for winning matches, it is 3 minus the number of sets you gave up; for losing matches, it's the number of sets you took. This means that winning 3-0 and losing 0-3 will put you in the same position as winning 3-2 and losing 2-3. If this needs tweaking later on, I'll do it. Tie breakers will still be governed by something with a higher resolution, such as match differential, if necessary.

Please note that since we have an odd number of teams, you won't be able to easily compare who is "in the lead" across teams that have played different numbers of matches. Hopefully this sorting system is intuitive and should make that easy.

Chopin

Let's have it so if it's 2 to 2, the fifth game will be a 2v2 tie-breaker match.

myndzi

The format won't be changing mid-season, but if you make a good case for why that will contribute significantly to HDTL I may consider it for the future. It'd have to be a really compelling argument, though.

myndzi

I owe everyone who was complaining about 180 kicks an apology for getting on your case. I though that I had verified that 7.5 came with rules set to the new 180 kicks, but apparently it does not.

I won't be changing the rule files for HDTL, but I understand your complaints a little better now. I can only recommend practicing with the HDTL rule files, and expect that they will reflect the kicks in future versions of Nullpomino by default as well - so it's a good idea to learn them regardless. I'll see about putting up a set of fumens or something demonstrating which kicks are valid.

Ravendarksky

I made the mistake of spending all week practising Allspins without using HDTL-B ruleset.

Many of my setups such as this simply don't work:
[fumen]110@JeKwhblzgbkzgbIw1lgblzRplzYi1lgbusRpkzaihb?ss/epbA4G7eC62cqgBAAAEekzjbRpiblz1l8eIwRpgb1lkz?1l8eKwgb1lus8embssgb8epbAAA7eC67cqgBAAAxdD38ekb?D38eibF38eIwgbG38eIwgbA3ssRpA31lJwgbtsgbRp1ljbs?suba2c7eBKgBAAAOeYimbaiBcAAA7eAFgBVeIwobKw4bAAA?7eBkfBAAA[/fumen]
Now I'm forced to make the wall higher which makes the following LSTS EZ (sends 0 lines)
[fumen]110@6dA3nbB3jbKwgbA3lzgbkzgbIw1lgblzRplzYi1lgb?usRpkzaihbss/epbA4G7eB62cqQPDAMN2BA1d8eibF38ehb?G38eIwgbG38eIwgbB3gbD3JwjbD3mbA3gbA3pbamqAA7eBK?LPjAln88AQyTxCFbcRATG88AwcsJEkN98AQo78AQC2JEldh?AAAAA[/fumen]

My fault entirely but still annoying... How was I to know your ruleset used different rotation tables :<