4-Wide Guide

Started by ZeroT, May 20, 2010, 06:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarthDuck

Quote from: yazichima
Hey anyone use 'mini' 4- wides mid game?
I know there's a lot of anti-4wide sentiment here on Harddrop, but as I've been trying to learn 4wide recently I've noticed how well it merges with other styles. Say you are trying to spam fractals and you want TBlocks, you can just stack everything to the left and right until you get what you want. After your btb tspin you have a 4wide mini.

I think if 4wides are looked at as a way to deal with unwanted pieces, then just about any technique can be incorporated. This is even true in the opposite regard: if you are "trying" to stack a 4wide center then you put your unwanted pieces in the middle. Often this gives you tspin double or triple setups as well as tetrises down the middle.

But if you want to stick to using 4wides and limit how much you use other methods, then I think that starting the combo as soon as you run into a stacking error (rather than putting it in the center), can give you a nice 7 or 8 combo (13 or 17 lines) in 10-20 seconds.

And I hate items as much as anyone, but I find myself joining party item rooms sometimes just to build a 4wide for those line piece items. If you do that then you are sure to get some "wtf"s.
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

zaphod77

Um, I fever isn't even a party item. it's a standard item, as I recall.

ANd yes, it's by far the easiest way to abuse 4 wide. ANyone who sets up a decent 4 wide and gets that item just wins, and that goes double for center gap..

ManOfMiracles

Quote from: DarthDuck
if you are "trying" to stack a 4wide center then you put your unwanted pieces in the middle. Often this gives you tspin double or triple setups as well as tetrises down the middle.
Lol no. If you are getting setups in your 4-wide then you are doing it wrong.

Do you know how many rows are required for a tetris? Four. The point of the 4-wide is to get a long combo chain, and a tetris in your combo would send four lines in exchange for four rows; but if those four rows were empty, then you could have potentially sent 16 lines.

You and yazichima are trying too hard.
MiracleMan

yazichima

Quote from: ManOfMiracles
Lol no. If you are getting setups in your 4-wide then you are doing it wrong.

Do you know how many rows are required for a tetris? Four. The point of the 4-wide is to get a long combo chain, and a tetris in your combo would send four lines in exchange for four rows; but if those four rows were empty, then you could have potentially sent 16 lines.

You and yazichima are trying too hard.

Whoah.... waita minute. My idea didn't include anything actually inside the 4-wide gap, just building over tetris gaps from garbage, or using prophecy tspins over the actual built-up part, not inside the gap

Paul676

MoM - you don't get it - if you can't stack/get a bad piece to upstack your 4-wide, you can plonk it in the bottom of the well. With those, you can sometimes use 2 or 3 of the lines to get tsds or tsts. That's what he's saying, and it's true
               Tetris Belts!

DarthDuck

Quote from: Paul676
if you can't stack/get a bad piece to upstack your 4-wide, you can plonk it in the bottom of the well. With those, you can sometimes use 2 or 3 of the lines to get tsds or tsts. That's what he's saying, and it's true
Right, deviating from a pure 4wide stack is not ideal, but if leftover pieces cause you to tetris down the center, then you can start restacking until you have it about 19 rows high. Disclaimer: Only do this in big rooms.

The problem is if it's 1v1 and you INSIST on sticking with 4wide, then it's better to have a nerfed stack then send the tetris because any noob will be able to exploit your clean garbage. So in 1v1, if the stacking really starts to go haywire, then I would abandon the 4wide and just do back to backs down the center which is arguable more respectable anyway.

To respond more personally, I am over my 4wide phase and this has become the reverse. I am "trying" to open with fractals down the center but when I mess it up or don't get an early line piece I just default into 4wide.

Overall, my point is that if you are trying to 4wide, then you often get a surprising opportunity to do something else which is comparable or better. And likewise when you are trying to use tspins dominantly, it's easy to end up with a 4wide-mini if you are stacking unwanted pieces to the side. Even if this unplanned 4wide mini is only 5 rows tall it can be enough to clinch a game.

Quote from: zaphod77
Um, I fever isn't even a party item. it's a standard item, as I recall.
I doublechecked and it is available both in standard items and party items.
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

Paradox

Ima 4 wide every game now, and if it fails i'll just top myself out
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

coolmaninsano

Just sayin'.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x347/AaronHD/screenshots/c4ad8ce6.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x347/AaronHD/screenshots/c4ad8ce6.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

ZeroT

Wanna fight me Aaron :O

JS
☠ ZeroT

cloudstack

Can't seem to understand the 4 way method.  this one a nice technique. but I do prefer to learn the t spin plus tetris method as a way of winning although this one is much more easier to learn I think.

XaeL

Quote from: cloudstack
Can't seem to understand the 4 way method.  this one a nice technique. but I do prefer to learn the t spin plus tetris method as a way of winning although this one is much more easier to learn I think.
this method is easier to win and easier to learn.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Chopin

Ok, I moved this post to its own thread titled 'Chopin's Strength Ratings for Tetris Skills.'
In short, the power of the skills can be seen as the following ratings:

TST: 41
TSD: 47
Tetris: 24
Combo: 69

Post on the new thread for comments and complaints ~

Chopin

Might be mean to get good at ;D
[fumen]110@GcD3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3Jw?hbF3IwibF3IwgbZiF38ehbYiF38egbkzYiA3ssA3IwB38eg?blzusIwRp8ehbkzYi1lJwRpgbai1lpbA4G[/fumen]

cloudstack

I guess I should start practicing this first, before I enter the world of continuous T-Spins its been weeks since I'm practicing T-spins and sad to say I don't see any improvements. maybe this one It shed some light on my journey to become a good tetris player.

xbxcv

w/c is much better middle 4 wide or side ( i will practice >.< it's so hard  and any tips