4-Wide Guide

Started by ZeroT, May 20, 2010, 06:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManOfMiracles

A complete 99 combo on nullpo combo race is rare. I've done it a few times. But that's it, a few times.
A 4-wide pro would get about 50 at most before the combo breaks very soon.
But you shouldn't really make a 99 combo top priority; that mode should be used mostly to build up your speed.
MiracleMan

ZeroT

Quote from: ManOfMiracles
A complete 99 combo on nullpo combo race is rare. I've done it a few times. But that's it, a few times.
A 4-wide pro would get about 50 at most before the combo breaks very soon.
But you shouldn't really make a 99 combo top priority; that mode should be used mostly to build up your speed.
I disagree, combo race mode is great because in its length, it allows you to encounter many different situations. In my opinion it is the best tool around to build your combo string proficiency. So if you can do the build, but are having trouble with the actual combo, playing this mode on nullpo will help.

Oh and as MoM said there are only a handful of people that have actually done a 99 combo, so dont get discouraged. Start with a much lower goal and build up from say 20 to 25 to 30 etc. Practice  GL
☠ ZeroT

Profane

My biggest problem right now is countering combos.  I've had to switch my starting approach a ton to adjust to combo's.  I think most know me as a BB player who's drowning in this TOJ/TF world lol.   So far the only way i seem to be able to counter combos is to combo myself.  i pretty much have to start stacking for a combo and if i don't get immediate garbage from my opponent then i know he's stacking for a combo and we combo duel i guess and thats for opponents who are considerably slower then me.  i just don't understand the system sometimes, i remember the other day on Null i sent over three tetrises one was B2B before my opponent even started his combo and i still got topped out.

ManOfMiracles

Well profane, the reason combos get to you is because you don't have an apm as high as you need to. I know you already do, but you need to try to add some t-spins to your arsenal.
Once you perform them well, combos shouldn't be a problem for you at all.
MiracleMan

kevincentius

Yea especially if you are using some effective T-Spin openings and do it at fairly fast speed combo stackers might just end up starting the combo early if not topping out  .
Well except the 4-wide on the center O_o I haven't thought about it before (coz I've never faced anyone with any 4-wide openings)

I hope I understand this thread correctly.

So are these the conclusion of this thread?
- the 4-wide center is overpowered?
- combos on TF is overpowered?
- something has to be changed to prevent the two things above?
- combos are very good for beginners?

coolmaninsano

Quote from: kevincentiusSo are these the conclusion of this thread?
- the 4-wide center is overpowered?
- combos on TF is overpowered?
- something has to be changed to prevent the two things above?
- combos are very good for beginners?
- 4-wide side is just as powerful
- combos on TF are just as powerful as combos on TOJ or NullpoMino
- equal anyway
- Combos are good for beginners looking for edges against better players.
Also, four wide sh**-flinging civilized discusion thread.

yazichima

hey, I just encountered an impossible situation when starting with a l piece (starting with a left l start I got J, z and s). Do you know if there are any impossible situations for starts with z/s? or the s/z alt?

ZeroT

There are tons of times where you will have impossible situations. If you are talking about combo race, then you can simply restart. In game you have use those pieces in your build up or skim them away.
☠ ZeroT

myndzi

If you have to start stacking to cancel, you're screwed. If it was allspins, you could maybe have set up a JSD to cancel with and ditch a couple pieces. If it's combo race, you could lay the J flat, blocking the hole, and knock out a 4-residue combo up until you're able to stack into the bottom again with a vertical I or something.

[fumen]110@pbC3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jb?F3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbE3/egbC3pbA?4G7eDsbBe9cmhBAAA[/fumen]

[fumen]110@pbC3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jb?F3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbE3/egbC3pbA?4G7eHedBXcB8bB6cBZdBuAd57cC8c[/fumen]

yazichima

you're right... there are sooo many impossibles
it just seemed like all the pros never ran into them how often do you think you run into them? (I just wanna know if I'm getting any good at planning ahead with my previews)

ZeroT

I made a quick video of me playing combo race. I make tons of mistakes all the time and frankly im not as good at this as I was a year ago.

Read the description: Combo Race Gameplay
☠ ZeroT

caffeine

DarthDuck

That is exactly the mindtrip I've been looking for... I just made it my new homepage.
Quote from: caffeine
http://waka.nu/tetris/ren/
tyvm!

I don't fully understand this chart but I like staring at it:
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://waka.nu/tetris/ren/renpat2.gif\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://waka.nu/tetris/ren/renpat2.gif\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

ZeroT

Well there you have it lol
☠ ZeroT

yazichima

Hey anyone use 'mini' 4- wides mid game? Maybe just six or seven high, even less. I was thinking they could be especially effective because they don't have to be tall, they could be built on the side more safely because of their shortness meaning they'd be fast to build, and it gives good messy garbage. This could be combined with a prophecy TSD into a Tetris over the optimal garbage. I think this would be a great KO move that could be approached even from a great height by simply modifying it to a center gap style. I doubt I'm inventing this move, so if you've used it, tell me what you think.