Best way to learn finesse

Started by FireTstar, January 14, 2014, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireTstar

Hey guys, i read thru the finesse stuff in wiki but i was hoping you guys can recommend me the best way to learn the finesse for each piece, the most efficient too

Thanks so much for your opinions!
Tetris Friends: FireTstar_ (on most)

NullpoMino, Tetris Online Poland, and Cultris II: Inferno (on sometimes)

Short Term Goals: Sub 35, piece preview

Long Term Goals: Sub 30, APM and LPM 50+, learn perfect clears, master T-Spins, 0 finesse errors (consistentl

Aaron

The best way to learn finesse is to practice finesse.

The best way to learn ______ is to practice ______.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
Quote from: AlexandraI don't really know much about hot dogs but I do know Aaron is the greatest moderator ever.
[/div]

perfectclear

Quote from: Aaron
The best way to learn finesse is to practice finesse.

The best way to learn ______ is to practice ______.

you could at least link him belzebub's finesse mod. I'm too lazy to find it. back to lurking

morningpee

Quote from: perfectclear
you could at least link him belzebub's finesse mod.
Mod is here.  Or, as FireTstar knows, use Nullpomino League.

FieryLight

Best way is to learn a few rules at a time.  First thing you should learn is to rotate AFTER shifting the piece left/right (unless the piece should go all the way to the end).  Learn that and to double tap.  That is the majority of finesse moves.  After that you learn when to DAS and tap back.  Then learn the more complicated ones (Z, S and I) where in general, you rotate the same direction you're moving the piece EXCEPT when trying to get 1 from the wall.  That covers most of it

Paradox

Learn one bit at a time , even the ones that seem intuitive. Practice x10
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

FireTstar

Quote from: morningpee
Mod is here.  Or, as FireTstar knows, use Nullpomino League.

I will use nullpo league after I get better at finesse

Long Term Goals: Sub 30, APM and LPM 50+, learn perfect clears, master T-Spins, 0 finesse errors (consistentl

Aaron

NullpoMino League is to help you get better at finesse.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
Quote from: AlexandraI don't really know much about hot dogs but I do know Aaron is the greatest moderator ever.
[/div]

FireTstar

Quote from: Aaron
NullpoMino League is to help you get better at finesse.

Well it only tells you the faults you made but how you can correct it

FieryLight

Watch the replay and see what finesse you haven't gotten down yet

savior

Quote from: FireTstar
Well it only tells you the faults you made but how you can correct it

Once you make the fault, you should pause the game and observe the piece you just dropped. Then look on the wiki for what the correct movement finesse for that exact piece orientation is. Compare those key inputs with the key inputs you used to place the piece there, and see where the difference is. Then try practicing the correct key inputs - wait until you get the same piece again and try to put it in the same orientation, but this time without making a finesse fault.

Since you're practicing finesse, it's OK if when you attempt to place the piece again, it creates a messed up stack. Focus simply on placing a piece with perfect finesse.

You can also turn your ghost piece display off and don't look at the position of your current piece. This will force you to have to know the exact inputs required to place a piece in a certain orientation. If you don't know the exact inputs, simply pause, look at the wiki, unpause and use the inputs they specify. Repeating this process will slowly build up your muscle memory, and eventually you won't need to pause and look at the wiki.

coconutcrusher

Whoa, just looked it up and this Nullpo League thing looks awesome! When I first started playing TF, I was struggling a lot and was thinking "Someone should make a training program .." and there ya go. Thanks for the head's up, going to give it a try now.

EDIT: Ok, this DAS is weird. I'm trying to set it closer to my DAS in TF but haven't quite found the right number yet. Will have to spend more time figuring it out later ..

Agamemnon

Play tons, review some games, understand which of your movements make you faster/slower, keep the good and throw out the bad. Practice makes perfect. Perfect doesn't always equal perfect finesse, but when you get close you will notice!

FireTstar

Quote from: Agamemnon
Play tons, review some games, understand which of your movements make you faster/slower, keep the good and throw out the bad. Practice makes perfect. Perfect doesn't always equal perfect finesse, but when you get close you will notice!

Thx for all the help whoever posted here! Will try this!

FieryLight

DAS = 5 is Tetrisfriends settings