Dig Race Challenge!

Started by Ravendarksky, October 24, 2011, 03:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravendarksky

Downstacking Competition

I've decided to hold a contest for you guys on Nullpomino.

The challenge.... if you dare to accept it... is to play 5 consecutive games of Dig Race 18L and try for the LOWEST piece count.

Once the contest ends the top 4 players will move onto a 4 way live online dig challenge where you will have to prove your mastery LIVE to myself and perhaps a roaring crowd of eager spectators!

The two players with the lowest score over 3 live games will move onto the final BATTLE for downstacking glory!
[spoiler]
This will take the format of an 18L dig race Fumen I will create.

- I will announce the first 4 pieces (next piece + 3 previews)
- Each player then tells me what their move will be
- Once both players have told me their move, I will announce the next preview piece and update their fumens.
- Lowest Piece count wins.... if we have a draw I'll come up with an exciting tiebreak.
[/spoiler]

Rules:
- You must play all your games consecutively... It's lowest score across 5 consecutive games... not across your 5 best scoring games.
- Score is total piece count across each game (So if your scores are 49,51,60,59,61 your score is: 280
- Time doesn't matter
- This is impossible to moderate so please don't cheat! If you suck at this you will just get owned in the final battle. Ultra low scores will be viewed with suspicion. (It's likely you will get some starts which require more pieces than others)
- You are allowed two insta-restarts... this must be done before any pieces are placed.
- Players can enter as many times as they like
- 180 Spins are allowed.. but custom ruleset 180spins are not (you can program your own crazy kicks and stuff I believe). NO OSPINS.

Why Enter?
I've tried to create a competition which allows for a demonstration of tetris skill, but is simple enough to be accessible to everyone. Also this challenge doesn't require you to be super fast, and does have some luck involved! Competing in this will definitively improve your downstacking ability, which is something most of us need/can all use

Prize
I will bless the winner of this competition with a badge they can put in their signature to show off their downstacking glory...! What? you want physical prizes not pixels?!? OK. I'll arrange for a Hard drop T shirt to get posted your way as well =O =O

Dates
Start date for this competition is the 24th of October
End date for the challenge is the 14th of November
I will arrange the semi finals(if we get a lot of interest) and finals during the rest of November, depending on the timezones of the players involved.

Scoreboard:
175 - ZeroT
178 - Paul676
182 - billtsar
192 - Anonymous
209 - vipjun
210 - Caffeine
216 - Antifate
216 - myndzi
245 - Ravendarksky
255 - Pikiwedia
284 - Shuey
289 - Lucho
294 - StS
328 - Paradox

caffeine

Great idea. I'm definitely going to do this once I get a chance.

Anonymous

My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

vipjun

I'm In,
LOL, i freakn MD'd on this !!!!!!!!

restart

237 Total

restart

209 Total

caffeine

(Two restarts)

253 Total

Someone get billtsar in on this.

EDIT:

(Two restarts)

234 Total

Paul676

So far:

(RESTART RESTART)

Total:
               Tetris Belts!

Antifate

Restart
Restart

Restart
Restart

caffeine

Restart
Restart

230 Total

Lucho

restart
restart

total 351

[div align=\\\"center\\\"][spoiler]
Funky Ruskie[/div][div align=\\\"center\\\"] [/div][/spoiler]

Pikiwedia

(restart)
(restart)

Total: 255

[div align=\\\"center\\\"][/div]

vipjun

Are 180 spins acceptable in this mode ?

not that i will be using it, just for clarification purposes.

billtsar

Played exactly 5 games without restart: 33,40,45,46,35. Times were around 50-55sec.

caffeine

Quote from: billtsar
Played exactly 5 games without restart: 33,40,45,46,35. Times were around 50-55sec.
Alright! This challenge just got interesting real fast.

Ravendarksky

Nice work everyone! We will definitely have a semi final live dig race on nullpomino to decide the last two for my fumen challenge.

I'm going to have another go now that I'm not at work .

@Lucho don't worry about a score of 351. I guarantee we will see higher! even if people don't post them.

I'm allowing 180 spins (I've added them to the rules). I'd be tempted to say they aren't allowed to keep this competition as accessible as possible... but  I guess some entries might have used them already!

Damn you guys are PRO....

70, 43, restart, 57, 55, 59 = 284

Paradox

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]NO OSPINS.[/quote]  

I love how rules have to accommodate for me now
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]