Explain to me what's your perfect DAS

Started by VienVong, October 21, 2011, 05:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VienVong

In an attempt to improve and control your pieces and hence your matrix better sometimes you have to step back a few steps before you can move forward.  Please avoid the simple cliches.

What's the perfect das for you?
Explain what it feels like.
And estimate your md rate at this das.

Thank you

PolarisTR

Quote from: VienVong
In an attempt to improve and control your pieces and hence your matrix better sometimes you have to step back a few steps before you can move forward.  Please avoid the simple cliches.

What's the perfect das for you?
Explain what it feels like.
And estimate your md rate at this das.

Thank you

For me, it's max DAS on Tetris Friends, with a few MD's (from the lag). On Nullpomino it's around 5-6 with NO md's (god bless my brain).

If I find I'm md'ing alot then I'll turn it down (or up on Nullpomino) for a few hours to make sure I can get my efficiency back.

- Pol

Ravendarksky

Recently I've moved beyond DAS - This has been at the expense of my 40L time, which has slowed back to >40 average.

I now happily move from TF (4/5) to Nullpo(7,0) to Tetris battle(max) to Cultris 2(default, i think).

I just take the MDS as part of the game now, I MD in all a little bit, but nothing major. I'm not willing to get uber pro at a certain DAS unless it's for a tournament, and I'm still a long way away from being good enough to compete...!

Paradox

I use 3-5 for nullpo. 3 is nice and super fast, perfect for 40L. 5 is slower but very relaxed so I use it when I need to downstack a lot and avoid misdrops. I use 4 if for some reason 5 is feeling slow or 3 is feeling too fast.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

DarthDuck

I don't care about Tetris friends anymore, but I used 5/5 for 2 solid months (over 10,000 games) and "thought" that I liked it. But finally snapped after enough unforced DAS errors, dropped my DAS to 3, and then started enjoying the game much more. That is when I raised my nullpo DAS from 7, and likewise started enjoying nullpo much more.

Currently, I use 8/0 on Nullpo. I can tell whenever I use 7 because I will misdrop noticeably.

I tried 9/0 for a while to have zero misdrops (I had the occasional one on 8 ). But as of a couple days ago dropped back down to 8 and essentially have no misdrops.

I have tried to make 7 work many times but it just makes me unhappy to play that way. In 1P modes in can work sometimes but but in multiplayer it just ruins too many games. I notice from watching people that use low-margin DAS that they rage quit a lot. I would rather have my multiplayer synched with my DAS and have that extra control.

While low-margin DAS is the theoretical ideal, when I push myself for speed, my accuracy goes down and so that's when I want that higher-margin forgiveness.

I also wonder how much of it is keyboard-related. Even doing experimental taps (as fast as I can), I cannot get 3 DAS to work. If I invest in a better keyboard, I might be able to get away with 7, but then again, maybe not comfortably.

And not to start any fights here, but in many some cases, cranking DAS seems to be an attempt to show off. You will restart much more just to spike 1 high score that doesn't really represent your skillset. Say you get a score that's 12 seconds below your previous best time because of high DAS, then you run around and try to compare your score with everyone else. In online rpgs the word for that is epeen. In high school, it was getting a 98% on a test and running around the class "comparing scores"; lots of words for that.
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

Pikiwedia

Quote from: DarthDuck
And not to start any fights here, but in many cases, cranking DAS seems to be an attempt to show off. You will restart much more just to spike 1 high score that doesn't really represent your skillset. Say you get a score that's 12 seconds below your previous best time because of high DAS, then you run around and try to compare your score with everyone else. In online rpgs the word for that is epeen. In high school, it was getting a 98% on a test and running around the class "comparing scores"; lots of words for that.

Don't forget that learning how to control fast DAS is a skill itself! And where are these 'many cases' you speak of?

Also, in 40L, only your best time counts, so I don't really think people care if 'it doesn't really represent your skillset'
[div align=\\\"center\\\"][/div]

ohitsstef

And not to start any fights here, but in many cases, cranking DAS seems to be an attempt to show off. You will restart much more just to spike 1 high score that doesn't really represent your skillset. Say you get a score that's 12 seconds below your previous best time because of high DAS, then you run around and try to compare your score with everyone else. In online rpgs the word for that is epeen. In high school, it was getting a 98% on a test and running around the class "comparing scores"; lots of words for that.

How long have you been playing for?
Just because you can't handle lower DAS settings doesn't mean other players cannot.
and 40lines is NOT a representation of how skilled a player is, I don't think a lot of players on HD even think it is.. it's just a mode we play to practice stacking faster. Whatever our high scores are don't represent how well we play.

I use 7/1 on bb and nullpomino
TF 3/4
TOJ 4/5

and I think there's already a thread about DAS somewhere in the forums.

http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3902

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

caffeine

Quote from: ohitsstef
and 40lines is NOT a representation of how skilled a player is, I don't think a lot of players on HD even think it is.. it's just a mode we play to practice stacking faster.
Do you mean that being good at 40 lines doesn't necessarily mean you're good at the multiplayer? If so, I agree, but I'd say they're definitely both skillful--just in different ways.

I believe that a player should choose the fastest possible AR, and then bring their DAS as low as possible WITHOUT causing misdrops. Other than that, I don't believe playing with DAS any faster than that will make a player faster. Instead, I believe playing faster will make a player faster. For example, Lapsi uses 8/0 7/0 on nullpo. He's fast be cause he's actually fast, not because he uses 2/0 or something.

That said, I use 4/0 on Nullpo and 3/0 on hi-games.net.

ohitsstef

Quote from: caffeine
Do you mean that being good at 40 lines doesn't necessarily mean you're good at the multiplayer? If so, I agree, but I'd say they're definitely both skillful--just in different ways.

Yeah this is what I meant
A good 40 lines time doesn't necessarily mean you're good at multiplayer

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Anonymous

Me playing Blockbox on das 7:

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1070099/pictures/faces/tumblr_lrhaovjs811qd659d.gif\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1070099/pictures/faces/tumblr_lrhaovjs811qd659d.gif\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Um, not sure what to say about misdrops besides I rarely misdrop?

I don't think das is really a big factor in how much you misdrop. As long as you can play comfortably at around das 6-8 (i'm basing this off of nullpomino), I think you should be fine. Sure, you can have lower dases, but I don't think they actually help. Both Lapsilap and Apocalypse use das 8 (on nullpomino). I think Maserati uses das 7 (I'm not 100% sure though). None of these players use a crazily fast das like paradox or caffeine, yet they still have really fast times.

I think one of the main reasons is lack of confidence in piece placement. When I was a Blockbox amateur, I probably misdropped maybe one in ten pieces because I was hesitant to place pieces and changed my mind often despite being comfortable with my das. (Also, because I misdropped so much, I decided I needed to learn all the most useful spins to fix my misdrops, which is why I know how to do so many spins c:)

Here's another reason I suspect can cause misdrops. I posted this in another thread:
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
Also, I just had a random thought. I think when people misdrop (and it's not due to lag), it's probably because sometimes the key inputs don't match up with our muscle memory (I don't know how to explain, just look at the fumen).
[fumen]110@7eSBfITfB2lB1iB0bBKVBvcBMYBJUBlSB2cp3AmXyT?AS4WSASYM5Dl1UTAyE88AQOUQEFbEcEvoo2A3iMDEFb8bDO?388AQ2baEFbUfDhVqCA2qbWrbWWBTXpnAmXyTASIiSASYM5?Dl1UTAyE88AQOUQEFbEBEFq2TASYloEp1cCAzmbTmbTMBAA?A[/fumen]

In the last step, we want to das to wall and tap back once, but if we dased to wall, we would have to tap back twice. Instead, we have to tap left twice, which is incongruent with our muscle memory, and it sometimes causes us to misdrop. Just a thought though. I don't actually know if it's true or not.
[/quote]

On nullpomino though, I misdrop a lot more. It's difficult for me to see the previews, so when I go fast, sometimes the upcoming piece isn't the piece I think it is.
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

Paradox

as far as I know maserati uses 4-5 on bb when I asked him. And btw no one said you had to have low das to be fast. It just helps if you are able to get used to it.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]And not to start any fights here, but in many cases, cranking DAS seems to be an attempt to show off.[/quote]

Wrong. Cranking DAS is about decreasing delay and increasing comfort. Showing off is just a wonderful byproduct of that ;P
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

caffeine

Oops, I misremembered lapsi's DAS. It is 7. I oughta know better... I did a frame by frame analysis on him after all.

/shame

Still, I think the point I made stands.

DarthDuck

Quote from: caffeineOops, I misremembered lapsi's DAS. It is 7.
Thanks for the update. I will go back to 7 DAS out of respect for this guy's accomplishments.

I don't enjoy tetris as much on this setting, but I'll go on faith from the consensus here (that it's easy-enough to acclimate to 7 with enough practice). Also, I noticed my DAS on ToP is a little faster than my nullpo DAS, so at least that will translate more smoothly now.
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

Paradox

Thanks for the update. I will go back to 7 DAS out of respect for this guy's accomplishments.

I don't enjoy tetris as much on this setting, but I'll go on faith from the consensus here (that it's easy-enough to acclimate to 7 with enough practice). Also, I noticed my DAS on ToP is a little faster than my nullpo DAS, so at least that will translate more smoothly now.

As I told you before, 5 is a reasonable goal for any player imo.

This is how I get used to lower das:

say i'm at 10 das and want to be 9. I'll go down to 9 and if its too slippery then I'll go down even further to 8. I'll play on 8 for a while ( in single player). Then after a bit i'll go back up to 9 and then go "wow this feels like 10 now".

pretty much how I did it.

DarthDuck

ok Paradox. I will try 5 DAS for a month. And if I don't kill myself in the process, I should enter December being able to handle 7 fine, and God knows, maybe 6.