Nullpo Tetris League: SEASON TWO HAS BEGUN

Started by Rosti_LFC, January 03, 2011, 03:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosti_LFC

ZeroT

Z E R O 15-8 Rosti ggs.

EDIT:

Z E R O 15-13 Blazen_azn ggs! (he was lagging :/ )
☠ ZeroT

cubixcreature

Well done with the charts Rosti, this is going to be fun =)

Caithness

Caithness 15-13 Aaron

Those were some pretty intense games.

I've decided that I like this format a whole lot more than elimination brackets.

Paradox

me vs sonic

15-8

he likes to do cheap combos to steal some luck wins. This time I decided to do it back and won. other than that ggs
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

berry

I have to say this guy - Sonic - has mad skills and is extremely creative when it comes to mid-game setups and twists solutions.
I'm not defending combo-reliant players but Sonic isn't one of them!

I had a 6-10 game against him in my favor yesterday and that's only possible when he's got an off-day so he prolly did combo's as a last resort in your match.

cheers

cubixcreature

Quote from: Rosti_LFC

Also, if someone would like to volunteer to help me out updating the Google docs, it'd be appreciated. Even more so if someone would like to code webpages so this is a slightly bigger and more professional and automated project.

I can certainly help on updating the Charts, not sure if you still need it but PM me if you do.

sonic

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: cubixcreature
I can certainly help on updating the Charts, not sure if you still need it but PM me if you do.
I think I'll be OK for now, but thanks for the offer and I'll PM you if I reckon I need the help.

Something I might do for next season is to split up the divisions onto separate docs, so that the workload can just be split up and there won't be any issues with multiple people editing the same file.

Nice to see games already being played before the weekend

Paul676

Quote from: Paradox
me vs sonic

15-8

he likes to do cheap combos to steal some luck wins. This time I decided to do it back and won. other than that ggs

spot the gracious winner....

nope not found
               Tetris Belts!

Paradox

I'm not saying hes a bad player or that he relies on them. But a lot games he just 4-wided and there wasn't really much chance for me but to do it back. That's the thing I hate about combos, your only option is to do it back if you want to secure wins. Once somebody does as 4wide it transforms the game into type c in HDTL. In one game I t-spinned the first 3 bags and topped out before I could pull of another one. I was pretty surprised because I did it pretty fast.

[fumen]110@pbC3jbF3jbF3jbF3gbL3gbI3gbF3gbI3gbI3gbI3gb?I3gbF3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbQ3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbA3pbA4G?[/fumen]

I ended up topping out without any chance to downstack.

Besides that the games were good he probably won 1-2 without combos.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]spot the gracious winner....[/quote]

If you can't tell I hate combos and I'll be blunt about it. I especially hate that I have to do them back... I was tempted to forfeit the match. w/e i'll just make them taste their own medicine.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Paul676

If you can't see what you have written in the post in question was rude and offensive to Sonic, then you should probably just let the other player report in future.
               Tetris Belts!

Rosti_LFC

massi4h 15 - 10 Rosti

And Paradox, if it's 1v1 you don't need to combo back to beat combo players. Just don't waste time making any elaborate setups and try and send as much garbage as you can in the first 20 seconds or so. If you force them into starting the combo early, when they've only got eight or nine lines to play with, then you'll have the upper hand. It doesn't work if they're faster than you are, but if that's the case then you really can't complain about losing matches to them.

Paradox

Yeah because that will definitely work with two players at close speeds.

I was sending quick t-spin doubles and I wasn't going for elaborate set-ups. They were just quick tsds. It worked most of the time don't get me wrong. But there were times where I executed it pretty well and got topped out. Its too chancy. Thats why I said that to secure wins you need to do it back. Every loss counts in your point system. My best option was to 4wide faster.

Rosti_LFC

That test isn't entirely fair, given that it rules out the effect of the comboing player panicking and starting the combo earlier than they'd ultimately need to - which can make a fairly big difference to the amount of garbage sent. Ditto to the fact that maintaining the 4-wide combo can require a bit more thought time than just continual stacking. Also the fact that when playing games at full-speed players are going to misdrop, and that misdrops can be far more devastating to combos than any other way of playing. Though yeah, it makes it fairly clear which one is probably the stronger strategy to go for.

Combos are stupidly overpowered in the latest guideline games, but there's no Nullpo rated ruleset that can really bypass that fact and offer a weakened combo table (I didn't really want to go for BB, with no t-spins or combos, and it's not fully clear what Nullpomino Allspin actually is - plus people are used to the TOJ ruleset). I don't particularly like the way combos dominate either, but I don't see a particularly elegant or optimal way around it.