The "RATE MY TETRIS GAME" thread

Started by KeroKai, December 30, 2010, 11:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul676

@25 seconds Alex [fumen]110@ldB3lbD3kbE3gbA3hbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbC3gbF3pb?NxVPAQDsuEFbEwCFbkzDFMdCA7eAa6OzAGD0dEFbsYE0Sg/?DFb8bDO388AQlrTAS4nrDF388AQurTASIDAEpE98Aw3CwBF?r4AA[/fumen]
               Tetris Belts!

DAS44

Just for downstacking. The beginning is really the last 6 or so seconds on acid, I have no idea why, messed up recording software I guess.

Any tips?

Paradox

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Any tips?[/quote]  

No.

Haha jk. I suck at downstacking, help me compile downstacking tips!
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Alexsweden

Quote from: KeroKai
I haven't looked examined the entire thing but...
There's some really odd situations where it'd have made more sense to clear out the messy garbage or at least attempt to create a T-spin out of it. Do you recall what you were thinking at these points?

00:39 - Would have been better to just downstack or create a T-spin setup.
00:43 - Here I assumed you were attempting to create another T-spin. Especially when you had a T piece in hold already, followed by a square block to create the overhang (00:46).

01:08 - Was this just mistaking the Z piece for an S piece? You would have been better off placing that I piece elsewhere, and stacking the two Z pieces on that column. Building upwards while maintaining no messy holes are created.

01:17 - Again sort of like 1:08 point. You place the Z/S piece in places where it'd normally not fit. Essentially creating more difficult garbage for yourself. You could have placed the S piece down on the side first, followed by the Z piece. Here's a fumen of what I would have done so high up. It's not the greatest downstacking but it's to ensure that I live. Perhaps someone else will come up with a more efficient pathway.
00:39 I think I here just wanted to do a T-spin at first but decided against.. But I see that everything at this point was just wrong, especially the T piece..
00:43 yeah I think i miss-holded here..
01:08 The I piece was stupid and maybe I could have stacked better the few sec. before as well.
01:17 yhea i knew i made a mistake alredy when I placed my O piece and I went for speed rather than thought on that problem (since often I when I get a problem I stall way too long and I was close to the top) Your suggestion is way better than what i did

Both of you seem to agree, i need to downstack more - and I will play more BB

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
One thing is extremely clear. You play a much more offensive game than I do. I'm pretty much usually on defence.
[/quote]
Yeah, I have noticed that this doesn't work well in ffa on TF, while its better in 1v1. Maybe I should be a little less offensive when I dont have the capability to defend

Ty KeroKai, Paradox and Paul676 for the help

crackerrrjackk

New member, first post. Thought I'd start off by asking for basic tips?

Paradox

Quote from: crackerrrjackk
New member, first post. Thought I'd start off by asking for basic tips?

Since you wan't basic tips I won't go into finesse. When you feel you are ready for more advanced tips let me know. I'll give you parts of it right now to help you out.

When playing Tetris Friends Sprint there is line clear delay. Because of this, it is faster if you completely 10 Tetrises (which equals 40 lines). This way you have less delay throughout.

It is also best to use the hold piece as little as possible. Since you need to perform Tetrises in Sprint, it is often required that you hold pieces. Most of the time if you need to hold it is because you are stacking awkwardly. It will definitely make you progress a lot faster if you go at a slow pace and just make sure that your stacking never gets awkward (meaning you are forced to hold or skim)

What I just mentioned is the major cause of your time being slower than it could be. After you overcome those milestones the there will be smaller things you can do to help your efficiency while stacking (which cuts down your time). I'll get into some basic things you should learn regarding finesse.

[fumen]110@ceB3mbD3gbA3hbA3gbB3pb2jwgAEXpTAyi1TAS4gNE?0i2rDFbEcEIMVrDFbEcEpElaE7eDOrpAAG2b+Ac+hB[/fumen]

[fumen]110@ceB3mbD3gbA3hbA3gbB3pb2owhAZH5TASIvdDuoo2A?z+uQEsW98AQrTeEBPVTASIfkDXBAAA7eB+Ac+hB[/fumen]

following this you will save 2 keypresses in those situations (even one keypress is worth it)

There is actually a lot more to finesse. There is an optimally efficient way to place any piece in position and in any rotation.

finesse page in wiki

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

coolmaninsano

Funny how my best 40L has the worst stacking.

No idea what's wrong with the first two seconds, and sorry about the bottom being cut off (you can kinda see the bottom row though). :/

I KNOW I NEED TO ROTATE BOTH WAYS.

meow

^ I could have sworn that was a 20g game.

Paradox

Quote from: coolmaninsano
I KNOW I NEED TO ROTATE BOTH WAYS.

Do it then, to the point where it feels natural.

Finesse is a really great thing to master. Unfortunately I have all the placements memorized but I have bad habits from tapping in games with slow AR.

coolmaninsano

Quote from: Paradox
Finesse is a really great thing to master.

Funny thing. I actually used finesse to some extent when I used way too fast DAS. But as soon as I realized I used it, I thought about it and got slower ._.

Paradox

obviously you will be slower until you can do it without thinking about it. That is no reason to just quit on it.

KeroKai

So I thought I'd post a new video of me getting completely trashed to the point where I'm more focused on surviving than actually setting up T-spins and stuff. I'm gutted that I didn't really record some of my early games considering I was on a lose streak of 25+ matches.

I'm more curious about what he was doing against me that forced me to lose so quickly. It's a shame if this video can't capture that element but I recall looking at his stats where he had something like 5-6 points in T-spins.

I'm just looking for some overall feedback on the difference between our games and that (especially since I did terrible on the some of the recorded games). You don't need to go into an indepth second by second analysis.

On a completely sidenote: I have no idea what my real rating is on TOJ since it goes up and down if I luck out against a higher opponent.

larrytetris

Quote from: Paradox
------------------------
Player: Xael

Rating: 8.0
--------------------------

0:05

It was a great idea to do a follow up T-spin. However this t-spin made your stack pretty awkward. Not only that but it caused you to hesitate. With the pieces you had you could have done this :

[fumen]110@ceIwgb1llbIwYi1lRpgbkzgbJwpbA4G7eGuhBvbBac?BMaBdMcliBAAA[/fumen]

Didn't read the rest, but this is what Xeal should have done:

[fumen]110@ceIwgb1llbIwYi1lRpgbkzgbJwpbvZI7eLGbBkXBKR?BZVBliBjWBMjBPNPbA08taEFb82Dzoo2AX9zdEFbkzDloo2?AoiaCAuiB6fBhnBAAA[/fumen]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

Noogy

clincher

You would have more places to pick from if you IRS'd your pieces when needed. I'd recommend playing 20G mode for now
It's all about the love