Countering combo's (without combos)

Started by DAS44, July 16, 2010, 10:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAS44

Since there is such an uproar about overpowered combos...

How do you counter combos without comboing back?

Usually I try to get off a single TST then go for TSDs until the storm is over :x

themysticalninja

if you fast enough, many strategies could counter well
Morpheus: What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on!

Paul676

the most effective I've found is quick tsds. But this is impossible with tf's soft drop/line clear delay
               Tetris Belts!

Noogy

chopin had moderate success with perfect clears against 4 widers, though you can probably get away with it only once or twice before they notice

DAS44

Quote from: themysticalninja
if you fast enough, many strategies could counter well
But what do you use?

themysticalninja

Quote from: DAS44
But what do you use?

well i conter 4 wide combos with 3wide combos, since i can usually do it faster than my opponent, so they  can stack as high.
but the best way to conter combos  without combos well i dont know, guess its got to be tspins.
but thats the way tf is, combos have become crazy
Morpheus: What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on!

chopin

Four TSDs under 25 seconds isn't even enough sometimes :s
Perfect Clear works once in a while, but sometimes it even makes their combo stronger.
I find the best way to counter 4-wide without combo is to just give up.

SecretSalamander

KeroKai

Ravendarksky

perfect clear... and abort it into 3 lines + tsd if its not happening then stack a two wide really fast to deal with garbage.

chopin

Quote from: Ravendarksky
perfect clear... and abort it into 3 lines + tsd if its not happening then stack a two wide really fast to deal with garbage.

I think this is fail :/

ManOfMiracles

Quote from: Ravendarksky
stack a two wide really fast to deal with garbage.
A two wide cant counter the garbage that the 4 wide will send to you. Your better off stacking for tetrises and tspins.

^^^Chopin pretty much summed it all up for me^^^
MiracleMan

iphys

If I know someone is going to open with a combo, I usually stack up for 2 tetrises or a tetris + t-spin.  If they stack themselves into a position where I can top them out, then I go for 2 quick b2bs.  If not, I use my tetrises/t-spins to counter garbage and dig through the rest.

Paul676

the way tf is, if you come across a good 4 wider and you don't combo back, in the end there's no way out of death if they don't mess up. It's sad but it's the truth
               Tetris Belts!