NullpoMino

Started by Caithness, April 06, 2010, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burbruee

Quote from: Wojtek
what's with Burbruee's server?
It's been down for several weeks. You guys haven't noticed until just now?

It produced some sort of kernel error when booting up after a crash, and I haven't been able to physically be where the server is at because of full time occupation. I will have a look at it eventually.

But to be honest, there has been nothing but troubles since I upgraded the operating system from ClarkConnect to ubuntu 10.04, it has not been able to hold an uptime of even a week since the switch to ubuntu. Could be a hardware problem such as the HDD which I have suspected for some time.

xlro

Quote from: Spirale
did u try to open up the java console to see if there was some messages.
EDIT : you could also try to run some java code analyzer like findbugs and look for infinite loops i will try this at home
there weren't any
sadly I don't have the time atm to run a code analyzer or debug the code in any other way, but if it doesn't get fixed, I'll def have a look into it myself in a couple of days/weeks

Quote from: Burbruee
It's been down for several weeks. You guys haven't noticed until just now?

It produced some sort of kernel error when booting up after a crash, and I haven't been able to physically be where the server is at because of full time occupation. I will have a look at it eventually.

But to be honest, there has been nothing but troubles since I upgraded the operating system from ClarkConnect to ubuntu 10.04, it has not been able to hold an uptime of even a week since the switch to ubuntu. Could be a hardware problem such as the HDD which I have suspected for some time.
I remember you writing about the hardware failure, etc. - but I thought I read (on TC I guess) that you brought the servre back couple weeks ago, that's also why noname added your server back to the default list, no?
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]NullpoMino[/div]

Spirale

Quote from: xlro
there weren't any
sadly I don't have the time atm to run a code analyzer or debug the code in any other way, but if it doesn't get fixed, I'll def have a look into it myself in a couple of days/weeks
I remember you writing about the hardware failure, etc. - but I thought I read (on TC I guess) that you brought the servre back couple weeks ago, that's also why noname added your server back to the default list, no?

I've ran FindBugs on the NetServer.java file and couldnt find anything related to that issue.
I would think the bug must be somewhere in the server  listener main loop, ive seen in the source code that it should write to the log everytime it writes or reads from the socket so if the server is stuck in this loop then you should probably have tons of the same message in the end of the log. Then again I assume this is the first thing you checked so...Could you post your log somewhere, though ?

xlro

I've started to make a detailed list of all nullpo single player game modes on the wiki, 'cause I couldn't really find one (the official readme just gives vague descriptions, and ofc doesn't reference the original games).

http://harddrop.com/wiki/NullpoMino

I just listed all game modes and filled in a few off the top of my head.
Would be nice if someone could fill in the list, especially the modes, which are replicating 1:1 some other game and which rule is intended to be used with that mode to get the right gameplay experience.

xlro

Same bug again after ~2 days - took the netplay server down for now, it's just not stable enough in the current state.
I'm sorry that I can't really help debug this in the next couple days - but I also can't leave it online like that, everyone with a server will understand I hope. Maybe you find someone willing to host an alternative for now, who always has an eye on it.
If/When I get around to debugging this, I'd def. let it run once with log level on DEBUG, which could give some hints (as Spirale pointed out). The problem is that as long as we don't know where this could come from, replication of the bug can easily take days. I guess our best shot lies with the developer atm, he should know the code best and where there could be hidden problems, he might not have addressed properly.

PS: thanks for filling out the wiki page guys, looks almost perfect now

Spirale

i created a temporary server : 82.216.221.245

XaeL

is ther a way to tone down the line clear animation? the animation covers up the surrounding lines, making it difficult to see a viable downstack path.

by tone down i mean reducing, not REMOVING it (i know how to remove line clear animation)

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

jennr246

Yes you can turn it off, as I also did not like it.

Start nullpo and go to config, then general options then change line clear effect to x
☠ Jennr246

XaeL

oops, i edited p[ost after u replied. i mean tone down not remove.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

jennr246

LOL, ummm don't know then...
☠ Jennr246

meow

i think you can edit res/graphics/break#_0.png to tone it down. of course, i've never tried it.

XaeL

it did nothing!!

Spirale

i stopped the server.

Jes

anyone knows if nullpomino has problems working on 64 bit computers, or on windows 7? I downloaded it, and i can open it, but the game just doesn't wanna start. I NEED HELP! : =)

jennr246

Try copying the files from the lib/LWJGL2_4_2 into the lib folder and see if that helps.

I'm not sure exactly what you can't get to work if you could give a little more detail. Did you try opening Play_slick? What happens if u do?
☠ Jennr246