minor changes

Started by hienwa, December 24, 2009, 05:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

Added Tetris 3DS Master & Sprint mode to the records section.

Blink

So I added in a forum plugin a few months back and didn't realize it actually worked until today.

When you're inside a forum, you can mouseover a thread's icon on the left side to preview the post without going in it.  Example:

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4841/previewsr.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4841/previewsr.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Now Hard Drop Inc. stock is worth double.

DarthDuck

ha I never noticed that
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

XaeL

Quote from: Blink
So I added in a forum plugin a few months back and didn't realize it actually worked until today.

When you're inside a forum, you can mouseover a thread's icon on the left side to preview the post without going in it.  Example:

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4841/previewsr.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4841/previewsr.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Now Hard Drop Inc. stock is worth double.
nice feature blink!

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Blink

Okay good news and bad news.  

Bad news first:

The shoutbox script was lagging the site, this caused this morning's suspension.

The good news:

This is a result of HD getting more popular.  Our amount of unique visitors has been increasing steadily each month and November's amount is double what we had in July.  We're doing our best since the site launched, it's barely December 7th and we have more than 1/3rd of our November total.

I can see from the host statistics page that we are starting to catch the attention of Taiwanese and Chinese visitors.

As a result I've disabled the shoutbox script for visitors, and replaced it with an IRC chat embed.  Visitors weren't able to chat before anyways, so now they'll have a way to while also freeing up some server load.  I also increased the refresh time for logged in members to 3 seconds instead of 2. I do realize this is a temporary solution because once we get a lot of members on the shoutbox it will lag again, but for now the site shouldn't be experiencing any performance problems considering ~80% of our traffic is visitors.

ALSO:

I contacted our webhost to see how much they'll charge to host the Nullpo server on the harddrop.com IP.  If it isn't too expensive i'll cover it.

ohitsstef

blink what's the point of having an irc shoutbox for visitors to see? when members can't see that irc chatbox unless they're signed out? :/

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

coolmaninsano

Quote from: ohitsstefblink what's the point of having an irc shoutbox for visitors to see? when members can't see that irc chatbox unless they're signed out? :/
Because we can access IRC by clicking (IRC)Nickname on the shoutbox. Also, only authed users can send messages on the shoutbox channel, so no we won't get random spammers, and if we do, it's easier to ban them.

ohitsstef

Quote from: coolmaninsano
Because we can access IRC by clicking (IRC)Nickname on the shoutbox. Also, only authed users can send messages on the shoutbox channel, so no we won't get random spammers, and if we do, it's easier to ban them.

true lol but not everyone uses IRC. we should not show the shoutbox to visitors so they have to make an account in order to participate

coolmaninsano

Quote from: ohitssteftrue lol but not everyone uses IRC. we should not show the shoutbox to visitors so they have to make an account in order to participate
Yeah a "shoutbox hidden until sign-up" box in the correct color scheme could work, it would also unfuck the requirement to auth before talking on IRC.

Also everyone should use IRC, it's older than 95% of the members here.

Paul676

everyone should study Ancient Greek, it's older than 100% of the members here.
               Tetris Belts!

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: ohitsstef
true lol but not everyone uses IRC. we should not show the shoutbox to visitors so they have to make an account in order to participate
How would they know they're missing something if they can't see it?

Also, 99% of the time the stuff in the shoutbox is totally retarded chit-chat and people actively just being childish, stupid, or random in-joke crap that external visitors wouldn't get anyway. If we were going to have a focal point for advertising the site then it's the last thing I'd want to use.

ohitsstef

Quote from: Rosti_LFC
How would they know they're missing something if they can't see it?
Also, 99% of the time the stuff in the shoutbox is totally retarded chit-chat and people actively just being childish, stupid, or random in-joke crap that external visitors wouldn't get anyway. If we were going to have a focal point for advertising the site then it's the last thing I'd want to use.

not knowing what you're actually missing out on might be a good thing. lol
but i find it pointless to have an IRC chat thing in the shoutbox for non-members.