How do I fix a 4-wide well with more than 3 residuals?

Started by nagonago, August 28, 2018, 11:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagonago

Sometimes, for some reason or another, I end up with a 4-wide well with 4 or more residuals, for example:

[fumen]v115@heF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8De?F8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8BexhF8xhBeF8JeAgH?ThQaIewhQeAAARhwhceAAAHhwhLeQaZeAAA[/fumen]

Is there an established technique to "fix" the well without having to clear the whole thing and start from scratch?

So far as a kind of work-around I've just been laying an L, J or T piece on top like so:

[fumen]v115@heF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8De?F8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8AeilF8AeglxhF8xhBeF8J?eAgHHhg0BtgWGegWwwIewhQeAAAHhSaGewhwwgHaeAAA9gi?0GeAPQLwhHeQLAeQaZeAAA[/fumen]

This is not the best solution though because the usual 3-residual continuation techniques don't always work due to the holes below.

Please let me know any advice you have on how to "fix" a 4-wide well with more (or less) than 3-residuals!

filipemtx

Okey_Dokey

Quote from: nagonagoSometimes, for some reason or another, I end up with a 4-wide well with 4 or more residuals, [...] Is there an established technique to "fix" the well without having to clear the whole thing and start from scratch?
Isn't that the basic idea behind 4-wide(?): The amount of filled blocks stays constant in the decisive 4 columns so that you can iterate through a handful of fields there. It's just that certain residuals make it very unprobable to continue the combo. 4 residuals is the worst case.

6 residuals is actually as good as 3 residuals. In this case, the bottom row should contain 3 filled cells whereas the hole is ideally in one of the 2 middle columns. And you've got basically a 3-residuals 4-wide on top of it.

Examples (blue = row with 3 filled cells, red = 3res 4-wide):

[fumen]v115@jgF8DeF8DeF8DeF8BeBtF8CeAtF8g0Aeh0F8JeAgHJ?hBPFeAtAeAtaeAAAShAtAPaeAAAHhAtJeAPbeAAAIhAtKeA?PZeAAAIhAPKeAtGeg0gHQeAAAHhAPAtleAAA[/fumen]
And I think that's what you should also do for 4 or 5 residuals, just with a further row at the bottom having the correct amount of filled cells (2 cells in case of 4res, 3 cells in case of 5res). You also did this in the first frame of your fumen but I would place the L piece in a different spot to have the second-row hole in one of the 2 middle columns:

[fumen]v115@heF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8De?F8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8ilAeF8glAexhF8xhBeF8J?eAgHHhilGeAtAexwZeAAP6AyoSTASoTABEoo2ATLlaEFbEE?B3ow2BFbUfDsQVTASoTABEoo2Ao3krDFb82Duoo2Atu6nDs?oBAA[/fumen]
Your third frame looks good. In case of the second and fourth frame I would do the following:

[fumen]v115@heF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8De?F8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8DeF8h0BeF8g0CeF8g0BewhF8yhAeF?8JeAgH9ghHAeg0FeQLBeg0FeQLAeg0wwZeAAA[/fumen]
The second frame in my fumen is self-explanatory (if you subtract the bottom row, you have the basic 6-res setup). If you subtract the bottom row in the first frame, you get a 5-res setup where only the corners are filled in the lower row. That's actually the most stable 5-res case as the following bot stacking proves:

With other words: With 5-res you have 2 options: either try to have just 2 filled cells in the bottom row where those cells are in the corners OR make it 9-res where the 2 bottom rows contain 3 filled cells each (second row should have hole in the middle if possible). In case of 4-res, make 8-res out of it with 2 filled cells in the bottom row and the standard 6-res on top of it (i.e. second row should contain 3 filled cells with the hole in the middle if possible).

nagonago

Thank you Okey_Dokey, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! Those videos are very helpful for learning the continuations for 5 and 6 res.