Puyo Puyo Tetris @ AnimEVO 2018

Started by Kiyobi, March 27, 2018, 02:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiyobi

Hey guys, it's been a while, hasn't it?

If you haven't been following the AnimEVO announcements yesterday, Puyo Puyo Tetris is a thing again for this year's Evo. The thing is, currently, I am currently only running Swap and Puyo Puyo at the moment. I'm having friends helping me run the event this year, because last year was unexpectedly rough on me. I've pretty much converted to Puyo, I'm sorry guys.

I figure I let you guys know here to keep you all informed, but I am not wholly opposed to adding a Tetris bracket at all. I'm gonna need help. I need help forming a ruleset, and I absolutely need a person or three to help me run the tourney at Evo proper.

I don't know how long a Tetris Guideline tournament normally runs, but we only have two days to finish the event. I'd like some guidance on what to do here. Double elimination? First to 3? First to 5?

And if anyone is willing to step up and help me run Tetris, please let me know. I really don't want to run two entire tournaments by myself like last year.

XaeL

Quote from: Kiyobi
Double elimination? First to 3? First to 5?
Usually double elimination first to 10 in early stages, first to 15 in later stages.
However, due to puyo's slow pace, i think first to 5 (or 7) is acceptable for early stage and first to 11 in finals.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Blink

Hi Kiyobi, sorry I just saw this. No guarantees yet because I have a buddy's unplanned Bachelor party for a week in either late July or early August that coincides with EVO dates, but I might be able to help out with tournament organizing this year.

For format, I disagree with XaeL's first to 10 or first to 15 unless we want matches to last 30 minutes to an hour.  I'm not sure if XaeL is taking into account the lack of a hurry-up/sudden death mechanic in TvT.  I believe first to 4 or 5 early rounds and first to 5 or 7 Semis and Finals might be sufficient.  

Double elimination would work too but it really depends on how many players we're expecting to enter.  How many entered last year?

iljain

i think ruleset with 3 wins  is good. or 2 sets with 3 wins, or depend on the bracket/elimination /players left

owo

Any luck figuring out that bachelor party, Blink? AnimEVO side tournament signups just opened up this week.

AnthonyMyers

KennyBenny420

Kenny uwu