Only spinning in one direction

Started by appdirect, March 18, 2016, 08:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

appdirect

Usually when I play Tetris, I use only one button to spin, if it is on a keyboard it's counter-clockwise. I feel like doing this gives me more space to focus more on the game. Besides, the only pieces that would benefit from double spinning are the L, J and T pieces, the rest can be played fine with just one button.

Also some Tetris games only let you spin in one direction and they seem OK with it.

How do you feel about this technique?

Master

hmm thats not the only pieces that would benefit from that I Z S as well .. youll understand when you learn finesse  (if you dont already know ) specially in sprint plus if you keep playing with 1 rotation you are going to get tired easily and you are more likely to make mistakes ..

caffeine

There are some really fast 1 direction rotaters. The only problem you may run into is that it can become an issue when doing certain twist moves.

Quantumechanic

While there's nothing wrong with playing with one rotation, I think that learning both rotations is an important way to learn about how the game works. With the different twists that need more than one direction of rotation. It obviously will increase your speed too. In my opinion, there's no reason to not learn both kinds of rotation, besides of course the sometimes infuriating option of limiting yourself because of knowledge of controls.

arf

Can you get by playing with one rotate? Sure, but two rotates will always be better.

I played using one direction rotate for years and I ended up getting way too used to it. So when I tried to make the adjustment to using both directions, I found it quite difficult simply because using both rotates using the default scheme of a lot of platforms are in a completely different area of the keyboard as opposed to only using the up arrow key to rotate CW.

I came up with a solution that I wouldn't really recommend unless you've been playing long enough that using the up arrow key to rotate is hard encoded into your tetris playing. All I did was add CCW rotate to the key next to my CW rotate key and it felt completely natural. This only worked by readjusting my directional keys to the numpad so that '7' becomes CCW rotate and '8' becomes CW rotate.

XaeL

I highly recommend learning rotating both ways once your sprint is below 60s.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Master

to be honest .. just do whqt you feel like doing  .. look at dotamistern .. he got like sub 25 or something with only 1 rotation .. and now he is at 21 ( with both rotations .. )
basically you dont have to rush in learning both rotations right now .. .

Line69

I was always playing with one button for rotation... Until I tried to play TGM. ARS do care about direction of rotations so much, that pieces usually stick in place, if you will try to rotate it (for example: if you rotate it clockwise it's ok, but if you try to rotate in counter-clockwise it will not perform any action and vice versa).