Tetris Ultimate is making a special announcement tomorrow…

Started by Aaron, June 01, 2015, 03:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonlc

Quote from: KurisuKaatsu
Not going to waste my time with a lengthy review. If anyone wants to help me make a real tetris game, please PM me.
I've been working on a new tetris game for a while now (not tetr.js), I sent you a PM, but if anyone who is interested in helping can PM me.

Ravendarksky

SIGH

The wait for PC version continues. Also my expectations are going down daily. It really shouldn't be hard to get this right!

Gambral

So uh this just happend I'm laughing pretty hard right now.

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/EHvDFug.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"500\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/EHvDFug.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

derder

Quote from: Gambral
So uh this just happend I'm laughing pretty hard right now.

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/EHvDFug.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"500\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/EHvDFug.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

tbh: I would be less angry at TTC and ubisoft if they just hadn't send a tweet the last days...

poopmo

Pretty weird how the 3ds version has a different garbage sending system and more piece previews. I'd expect these things to be the same on all versions.

Kevcel

Quote from: Sisu

Not sure how my post is related to the topic, but I wanted to share what just came in mind.

It was painful to see him play not knowingly there is a harddrop or a hold feature. But at the same time, it was very 'refreshing' for me to see some "less experienced" reviewer play this game. Clearly a lack of explanation that causes much confusion can be noticed in the first video.

Nowadays I'm quick to judge and call things shit or praise the effort, because 'we' have seen it all. We recognise when gameplay is really interesting or new, when the old modes are just still good, when we miss something or when things could have been done better.

Personally I wonder what can we realistically expect from TU PC? Imo we are just a financially uninteresting niche market. The most simple modes can be experienced as new and awesome for most players.

Also I'd like to know what do you (the reader) want to see in TU PC?
I would mostly be interested in multiplayer. My expectations are low. I just want decent gameplay, not driven by micro transactions, accessible for the whole world and most importantly supported by TTC. It's kinda amazing that they still haven't managed to do this on pc after 30 years. (Or maybe I've missed something).
Day One Member of harddrop.com

kastle09

A couple of months ago I ran a survey on here asking about peoples opinions on Tetris as Esport and some aspects of gameplay and planning.

There were a couple of really clear trends in those results though maybe it was a little skewed because I was asking people who already know and play Tetris. Some of the most notable were:
  • PC was overwhelmingly the choice of platform over Console, Handhelds or Retro Consoles.
  • Battle was overwhelmingly the choice for multiplayer over Sprint, Marathon or Ultra.
    - When Asked for the best example of Battle People nominated Cultris, Nullpol and TOP.
  • When Asked about Skill Differentiators
    - Speed, Downstacking and Critical Thinking based on current situations were the most important
              - Consecutive Line Clears and T-Spinning were more mixed but still appreciated.
              - Item use was least important.
I disagree with you and say that Microtransactions can be really good for a game for a number of reasons.
The biggest for me is that in a business sense, if a product is available that can generate money, you are far more likely to patch/fix that game to make it as good as it can be and continue that profit. Games like League of Legends, Counter-Strike:Global Offensive or Hearthstone prove that. The developers are more willing to help fix the game make it better for everyone, and thats a good thing.

The only reason most people don't want it, is if its implemented poorly (I'm looking at you Tetris Friends, Seriously pay money for sensitivity settings. What??)

Unfortunately what I actually thinks gonna happen when or if Tetris Ultimate will be released on PC is its gonna look exactly the same as the next gen consoles, Its gonna have the stupid menus, its gonna be buggy and game breaking to begin with, and we will again be begging for a patch that will take an absurdly long time to come out or it wont come out at all. There has to be some major flaw with how they began to code this because it seems like they either don't have the Talent, or the Resources to fix these basic bugs. Because if they had those things they would of done it by now.

Kevcel

Quote from: kastle09

I disagree with you and say that Microtransactions can be really good for a game for a number of reasons.
The biggest for me is that in a business sense, if a product is available that can generate money, you are far more likely to patch/fix that game to make it as good as it can be and continue that profit. Games like League of Legends, Counter-Strike:Global Offensive or Hearthstone prove that. The developers are more willing to help fix the game make it better for everyone, and thats a good thing.

The only reason most people don't want it, is if its implemented poorly (I'm looking at you Tetris Friends, Seriously pay money for sensitivity settings. What??)

Unfortunately what I actually thinks gonna happen when or if Tetris Ultimate will be released on PC is its gonna look exactly the same as the next gen consoles, Its gonna have the stupid menus, its gonna be buggy and game breaking to begin with, and we will again be begging for a patch that will take an absurdly long time to come out or it wont come out at all. There has to be some major flaw with how they began to code this because it seems like they either don't have the Talent, or the Resources to fix these basic bugs. Because if they had those things they would of done it by now.

Yeah, I think we can all agree on the fact that paying to unlock skins et cetera is perfectly fine, paying to unlock core gameplay mechanics is pure bs. For Tetris Friends this was the difference between being decent/just good (and thus having my support) and being terrible.

I share my concerns about TU. Right now I assume that they're working to fix bugs that'll make your pc explode, and then just release it to prevent wasting more time and resources on this project. I believe everyone involved in the project knows that it's just not very good, don't really care about it anymore and accept the current state. Therefore this will be my last post about my thoughts on TU until release to prevent wasting my time. Just wait and see, I guess.
Day One Member of harddrop.com

MicroBlizz

Quote from: kastle09
A couple of months ago I ran a survey on here asking about peoples opinions on Tetris as Esport and some aspects of gameplay and planning.

There were a couple of really clear trends in those results though maybe it was a little skewed because I was asking people who already know and play Tetris. Some of the most notable were:
  • PC was overwhelmingly the choice of platform over Console, Handhelds or Retro Consoles.
  • Battle was overwhelmingly the choice for multiplayer over Sprint, Marathon or Ultra.
    - When Asked for the best example of Battle People nominated Cultris, Nullpol and TOP.
  • When Asked about Skill Differentiators
    - Speed, Downstacking and Critical Thinking based on current situations were the most important
              - Consecutive Line Clears and T-Spinning were more mixed but still appreciated.
              - Item use was least important.

You should do that poll again with casual Tetris players who've never seen competitive Tetris before. I'm curious to see the results. I also agree that microtransactions can enhance the game if done correctly. However, I do think there would be less incentive for microtransactions for Tetris because 99% of the world play the game casually and probably wouldn't spend too much time on it anyway, especially when most people don't know about us and competitive Tetris.
☠ MicroBlizz

cycle

buy this if you want to support 3 criminal, greedy and incompetent companies (the tetris company, ubisoft, soma play).
still selling a broken/dead game that hasn't been fixed in 6 months.

read their tetris ultimate facebook comments... (none are mine btw).

Aaron

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/JfycNWR.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"500\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/JfycNWR.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
Quote from: AlexandraI don't really know much about hot dogs but I do know Aaron is the greatest moderator ever.
[/div]

Boingloing

dang aaron you beat me to it : (  

I wonder what these will be?

"now adding right circle pad support for 3DS!"

g u r l g a m e r

VitoKing

Quote from: Boingloing

Yeah... but that would require actually updating the game... and effort. My guess? A "future" Wii U release... just to keep the PC players annoyed.
This is a signature... enjoy.

EagleLover58

Quote from: Boingloing

I think that could be one of the things they would announce, but hopefully it will have more dlc than just that.  I actually think using the circle pad though would break it like it did with Super Smash Bros. http://kotaku.com/24-hours-in-playing-smas...king-1644450677