IQ and Tetris?

Started by FireTstar, December 07, 2013, 07:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salami_pastrami

I don't think it does. I was in the gifted class growing up because I have a high IQ and i'm pretty poop at tetris.
I always took it that if you are good at strategy you can be good at tetris. Maybe i'm wrong?

Shadow_Mime

Quote from: FireTstar
Well im assuming that most of us here have an IQ of over 100
Unless anyone here sets to prove me wrong...
If you do post your IQ score it cant be some IQ test from the internet it must have be taken with a psychologist

Only if you had said the following (or like): Who believes that their IQ is above a hundred.
Then we could've had the Lake Wobegon effect.  Because most people think their IQ is above average (100).

You can't go under the assumption at least average until proven wrong. With a large enough sample size, you're bound to be proven right or wrong (if everybody here were to take an official IQ test and post the results honestly).
That's not the case here.
You've made a statement that's hard to prove and hard to contradict.

EDIT: The thread topic is hard to prove and hard to contradict with official IQ tests
We could go for a internet IQ tests, but then we would still need a randomized sample of volunteers. It'll be harder to set up the experiment than to actually run the experiment.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://25.media.tumblr.com/849980ecb9f023a336f580cda828fc26/tumblr_mfb8otFU2e1rl3u9no1_500h.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"500\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://25.media.tumblr.com/849980ecb9f023a336f580cda828fc26/tumblr_mfb8otFU

Paul676

meh IQ is a flawed measure of intelligence. tetris is a skill you learn and people who are good at learning skills generally do well in life. As people who practise IQ tests and are in mensa show, IQ tests are a skill you can practice as well...just don't confuse it for natural intelligence
               Tetris Belts!

Shadow_Mime

Quote from: Paul676
As people who practise IQ tests and are in mensa show, IQ tests are a skill you can practice as well...just don't confuse it for natural intelligence

I realize that intelligence doesn't mean IQ, but a statistically significant percentage of a person's IQ score is heritable. So then it would have some natural appeal as well.

EDIT: Identical twins reared apart are the best support for this claim.

I also think practice makes people play better than natural ability.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://25.media.tumblr.com/849980ecb9f023a336f580cda828fc26/tumblr_mfb8otFU2e1rl3u9no1_500h.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"500\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://25.media.tumblr.com/849980ecb9f023a336f580cda828fc26/tumblr_mfb8otFU

pizzapizza

Quote from: morningpee
My first post in this topic was a poor-taste joke, not a serious comment.  It wasn't meant to be analyzed because it wasn't meant to be logically rigorous.  Sorry for offending people, because it's clear that I did.

I was very mad about it but not now apology accepted

FireTstar

Um im not assuming my IQ is above 100 i know it is... I took a real one with a psychologist in 5th grade
Tetris Friends: FireTstar_ (on most)

NullpoMino, Tetris Online Poland, and Cultris II: Inferno (on sometimes)

Short Term Goals: Sub 35, piece preview

Long Term Goals: Sub 30, APM and LPM 50+, learn perfect clears, master T-Spins, 0 finesse errors (consistentl

Dark8Dragon

An interesting question which I have already questioned for myself FireTstar.

In the beginning I was nearly convinced that skilled tetrisplayers have an IQ above average.
But I read a lot of comments of skilled players in the Platinum League in the TF-Arena and I am really shocked how many "not too smart people" with a poisoned character are running around there so that I am not so sure about that anymore..
Tetris always stood for nerdy people in the wide mass of population like Sheldon Cooper for example is.
But if you ask further questions you can think about why tetris is so successful and played by so many people.
I think one good reason is because it is a very simple kind of game which appears to be different in every single game but still even people with an IQ of 80 are able to learn it properly.
Easy to learn and hard to master if you would say that mastering Tetris means to get 40 Lines in 30 seconds.
But its hard to define a border here.. The biggest challenge in the old Tetris was to build and make a Tetris in a certain amount of time. Nowadays you can make T-Spins and combos as well but thats it.

A high correlation can not be made in my opinion because just a few set of skills (which are tested in an IQ-Test) are needed to be a very good tetris player. This would be mainly the processing speed, awareness and the Hand-Eye Coordination, dexterity. The rest is at such a low level that it doesnt count to much and can be done by nearly every human. However, some scientists claim that there is a correlation between the speed of the Informationtransport/Reaction Time and the IQ.
Which could mean that extremely skilled players with 150+ or sub 40 have a very good chance on being very intelligent as well.

zaphod77

My opinion is that there is not much of a correlations between IQ and tetris. practice, coordination, and thinking on you feet are much more important.

Tetris is easier to learn then most puzzle games. IQ is not needed to fit pieces together.

medicalsnack

Lol no...tested ...not dumb...but still noob:)))