anime fans: is it possible for humans to grow blue hair?

Started by oofw, June 25, 2013, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oofw

hi i';ve been watching a lot of "anime" this summer and i'm just curious is it possible for humans to have natural blue hair ?? if not , how about through evolution ?

MarioThePhenom

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

FelipeMayrink

ManOfMiracles

MiracleMan

t0x

if this actually is a serious question, here is a serious answer:

humans hair-colour is made by 2 different kinds of pigments:
Pheomelanin and Eumelanin (both together are called "Melanine".

Pheomelanin is for red + blonde hair. (this pigment is way smaller)
Eumelanin for brown/black hair. (way bigger pigment, thats why asians have such strong hair)

Grey hair is made by small air-bubbles in the shaft of the hair cells instead of pigments, which are missing at this point.

and obviously those pigments can be mixed.

so no, its not possible to have blue hair.

Integration

Is it possible to have pink hair? Answer quick, I have to know!

t0x

Eumelanin for brown/black hair. (way bigger pigment, thats why asians have such strong hair)

Grey hair is made by small air-bubbles in the shaft of the hair cells instead of pigments, which are missing at this point.

so no, its not possible to have pink hair.

ManOfMiracles

Wait so does that mean it's prossible to have green hair?
MiracleMan

oofw

Quote from: t0x

so no, its not possible to have blue hair.

thanks for your reply but i was actually more interested in my follow up question... is this possible through evolution ? or perhaps genetic mutation ? (to be completely honest i already knew the answer to the first lol )

thx!

Integration

Quote from: t0xPheomelanin is for red ...

Grey hair is made by small air-bubbles in the shaft  ....

so no, its not possible to have pink hair.
y?

Pink is a mix of [color=#FF00000]RED[/color] and WHITE (gray). If they are possible both, they can be mixed to bright PINK!!!!.

In your face!

Quote from: ManOfMiraclesWait so does that mean it's prossible to have green hair?
Stop trolling!!! Post serious questions like I do.

t0x

@ManOfMiracles: thats a tough question, here s my answer:

so no, its not possible to have green hair.

@misstake: the hair gets grey (with more air bubbles) cause the amount of Pheomelanin gets less. bubbles + pheomelanin do NOT mix, they just replace each other.  

oofw: i highly doubt that.
the synthesis of the pigments is not that easy, you need enzymatic oxidation, an amino-acid, L-Dopa (from Dopamin) and some other stuff. humans themselves dont even have something that would be able to make the colour blue. IF there was some sort of mutation, we would also see that on our skin colour.

e.g. if you have a gain of function in the pituitary gland, it could be that you produce too much ACTH (a hormone, that mainly regulates the cortisol level). its mandatory for the regulation of MSH, which is a hormone that stimulates melanozytes. this leads to a hyperpigmentation of the skin (can be seen on ppl who suffer from "Morbus Addison").

atm, we only know that there could be a loss of function of the melanin-synthesis -> Albinismus
and a gain of function would lead to darker skin (afro-americans, part of the asians)

basically we dont own anything that could make the colour blue, maybe if we were able to mix our genes with blue animals, or if you d fuck a parrot...

Integration

Yeah, but if half of the Pheomelanin is replaced with bubbles? I've seen already grannies with pink hair.

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/7544689990_69f8dc2edc_z.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/7544689990_69f8dc2edc_z.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

egane in ur fase!

LOL t0x what have you studied?

t0x

misstake IF that was really happening, we should see more old ppl with pink hair on the street.. also "red" hair is not really red, its more like orange-ish

i m a med-stud, pretty familiar with this stuff

XaeL

So, is it possible to have BLACK hair?

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

FelipeMayrink

Quote from: XaeL
So, is it possible to have BLACK hair?
if this actually is a serious question,