The Current State of Nullpomino

Started by VladtheImpala, April 21, 2013, 07:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladtheImpala

So Nullpomino is kinda a dead-ish server. I feel like I'm the only one who's online with any degree of consistency... However, whenever i play someone good, i notice that many of them remark that "wow i forgot how fun this client is" or something like that. But then they just kinda go on their way to the client they usually frequent (C2, TF) and aren't seen again, at least for a while. Basically what i'm trying to say is that it feels like no one plays on nullpo b/c no one plays on nullpo, and it's not actually about the quality of the game, which i feel is strictly better than, say TF, and arguably better than Cultris (though i can see convincing arguments to the contrary in that respect). Therefore, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting some sort of monthly tourney or the like (maybe not even a tournament, just a time that there will be guaranteed people online) just to have some activity on the server. I just think that Nullpo is a great client, and it's sort of sad to see it fade into obscurity like this, especially when i think that the games that are replacing it aren't even better than it...

tl;dr Nullpo is awesome, and it feels like people choose other clients over it mainly because it is unpopular, which is kind of a vicious cycle. anyone interested in starting up something regular?

Shuey

I'm surprised that nobody has developed Nullpomino to the next version.  I'm also surprised that the League version hasn't been developed and improved more...

Extruderx

Zeromeaner is still actively developed. esialb is planning to organize a tournament, if i'm right.

Shuey

Thanks for the reply EXtruder.  I love the motto of Zeromeaner, LOL! ("falling block game that actually receives updates").  Nullpomino is one of the coolest clones, with a ton of modes and potential, but if nobody keeps working on it, adding more features and improving it, it WILL die and/or be replaced by something else.

dkorn725

Drew- Sprint-45.11; 2.2616 PPS

StS

Has zeromeaner progressed to the stage where online multiplayer can happen without too many game-breaking bugs? Are there people on?

I'm assuming that zeromeaner uses a different server than the old Nullpo did; this didn't occur to me before, which is why I always assumed it was dead/only solo play.
Sandal that Stinks

Current 40L (Nullpo): 35.32s

MarioThePhenom

this issue has been discussed so many times. currently we have 3 clients going around of null( league zeromeaner and 7.5) we really dont need three first of all...also, because of the mentality of "im not gonna go on cause no-ones on" will always keep nullpo dead. its not that hard to see how it's the best tetris client there is, but because of the already popular tf top c2, its not gonna come up out of the underground anytime soon.

your idea of a time where everyone will log on sounds good, though just like quickfire tournaments and always having people running bots, it will die out and stop, so good luck with keeping it going.

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

SecretSalander

nulpomino online is a desolate and un user friendly place but once you get used to it its the bestest thing ever... i find that hte only way i get games is when im on shoutbox like zomg play me nubs and i get thrashed by some sub 30
40 line sprint in Nullpomino: 32.88

VladtheImpala

Mario i see where you're coming from (as it has happened before) but that's a negative attitude that tends to stop things like this from ever starting up again. Yeah it'll probably die out eventually, but it'll be fun while it lasts!  I just want to see if people will be on board, at least for this ride, however short it ends up being. You better show up!

MarioThePhenom

Quote from: VladtheImpala
Mario i see where you're coming from (as it has happened before) but that's a negative attitude that tends to stop things like this from ever starting up again. Yeah it'll probably die out eventually, but it'll be fun while it lasts!  I just want to see if people will be on board, at least for this ride, however short it ends up being. You better show up!
as negative as the attitude may be, its the cold hard tuth, unless YOU can keep it going forever. and of course, ill be joining in on the nullpo party's, nullpo is my favorite game

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

Paul676

Once esialb makes the gui of zeromeaner any good, then we may see a more playable clone.
               Tetris Belts!

VladtheImpala

Do you think that current (i.e. 7.5) Nullpo is unplayable. I think it's at worst not user friendly; i think the game itself is fine. Though yeah, I suppose 0mino will make things better.

esialb

Quote from: Paul676
Once esialb makes the gui of zeromeaner any good, then we may see a more playable clone.

My UI redesign has progressed to the point that I released it into the snapshot builds!  Check it out at http://www.0mino.org/snapshot/

Quote from: VladtheImpala
Do you think that current (i.e. 7.5) Nullpo is unplayable. I think it's at worst not user friendly; i think the game itself is fine. Though yeah, I suppose 0mino will make things better.

Nullpo 7.5's user interface is poorly designed from a users' perspective and just plain hideous from a software developer's perspective.  I sincerely hope 0mino's will be thought of as better.  I merged it into the snapshot builds because I desperately need feedback on it.

The new UI was actually designed with touch screens in mind; my new laptop has a touch sensitive display (and even rotates to turn into a tablet, whee!) and I wanted to be able to easily play on it.  For normal play, with a touch-sensitive display, you don't need the mouse.

esialb

Quote from: esialb
My UI redesign has progressed to the point that I released it into the snapshot builds!  Check it out at http://www.0mino.org/snapshot/
Nullpo 7.5's user interface is poorly designed from a users' perspective and just plain hideous from a software developer's perspective.  I sincerely hope 0mino's will be thought of as better.  I merged it into the snapshot builds because I desperately need feedback on it.

The new UI was actually designed with touch screens in mind; my new laptop has a touch sensitive display (and even rotates to turn into a tablet, whee!) and I wanted to be able to easily play on it.  For normal play, with a touch-sensitive display, you don't need the mouse.

Stable 1.0.15 is released!  It features, among other things, the new user interface.

http://www.0mino.org/play is the direct link to try it out.

Beastin_Shen

idk where the right place for it, but a few things bugging me for 0mino,

cant see my piece preview colors, just black

couldnt find out how to disable sonic drop

<div style="overflow: hidden; background-image: url(http://harddrop.com/design/pic/badges/bg_black.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 285px; height: 80px;position:relative;"><span style="width:60px;height:80px;float:left;overflow: hidden;margin-top:10px;margin-left:10px;"><a href="http://hard