Is tetris dying?

Started by Wojtek, April 08, 2013, 04:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wojtek

Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

XaeL

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Wojtek

Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

t0x

a little easy to say that a search graph means that less people are interested in something.

i d say the fact that ppl already found their favourite tetris clone is also a reason why less ppl search for it.

or when was the last time you googled for "tetris"?

this may be affected with the tetris-facebook games, which make it easy for new players to find a fitting clone.

Wojtek

Quote from: t0x
a little easy to say that a search graph means that less people are interested in something.
search graph is just excuse to start stupid topic.

i d say the fact that ppl already found their favourite tetris clone is also a reason why less ppl search for it.
but what if some of them get bored eventually and quit?

or when was the last time you googled for "tetris"?
i don't remember, but i did it few times last week.

this may be affected with the tetris-facebook games, which make it easy for new players to find a fitting clone.
facebook games have very short lifecycle. and i don't see new ones showing up.
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

t0x

if ppl play a tetris clone that much that they get bored, they at least know about harddrop, where they can find other clones.

also, i m not even on facebook, it was just a guess cause lately i heard a lot of friends talking about their new "high"scores..

its not like new players need updates on their fb-tetris clones. they simply dont care enough imho

@topic: in c2 we had a huge increase of players lately, i dont exactly know why. it may be cause of the several tournaments, or the fact that a few more colleges/highschools found out about the game. however: i dont think that tetris itself is dying, it might just be that the player-base changes the game they play.

Lettuce_Rose

Tetris is totally dying. (judgement only about TF...IDK about the clones)

I notice that with a lot of people I play Tetris Friends with are beginning to feel kinda 'addicted' to tetris, because they play it so much....but that feeling is causing them to get on less cause they feel lazy and like they could be doing something with their life rather than sitting there playing a game on the computer all the time.

When I talk about this with my friends random people in the room also say the same things about themselves.

So, people being addicted is pushing people away from TF.

So when everyone does this tetris will be dead. YAYYYYYY!

t0x

people leaving TF?

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8002/7590083342_686a3f3abb_z.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8002/7590083342_686a3f3abb_z.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

excellent!

Wojtek

i won't be suprised if TF close this year.
but i am born pessimist, however in this case this is also optimism.
I never really hated TF, just hated some people who supported it.
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

Blink

Darkness covers the land.  Tetris hides underground, badly injured but the heart still beats.  It lies still and does the only thing it can do, wait.  Wait for the arrival of the chosen one.  The one foretold in the prophecies to usher in an age of light and prosperity by vanquishing the powerful demon from the East. Until that day approaches, it is our duty as the guardians of light to ready our skills for the impending war.  The evil empire grows restless, eager to stomp out the few remaining survivors strong enough to oppose its reign.  Will you be ready to face them when the time comes to defend everything you love?

myndzi

I don't get the obsession with "Is X dying?" discussions. My mom once asked "are we heading for a divorce?" and reality confirmed her fears. If you like Tetris, play it. If you don't like Tetris, don't play it. Correlation != causation, search results mean a whole aggregate of things.

Tetris is how old? And how many people are still playing?

caffeine

A++ post blink. Would read again.

SecretSalander

the thing is new people that join tetris f=play for fun until they get better, then they have a phase where they want to be like the pro guys they seen on youtube, etc. they play moar (peak phase) then they realize that improving is difficult then they quit...
40 line sprint in Nullpomino: 32.88

Wojtek

Quote from: myndzi
I don't get the obsession with "Is X dying?" discussions. My mom once asked "are we heading for a divorce?" and reality confirmed her fears. If you like Tetris, play it. If you don't like Tetris, don't play it. Correlation != causation, search results mean a whole aggregate of things.

Tetris is how old? And how many people are still playing?
I want to know.

No i don't mean search graph, rather inactivity of TTC and also of clones and also of players. if new game launched today do you think how many people from hd would try it?
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

myndzi

Quote from: Wojtek
I want to know.

No i don't mean search graph, rather inactivity of TTC and also of clones and also of players. if new game launched today do you think how many people from hd would try it?

Why should it matter? Everyone grows up. You can't expect the same people to be around all the time doing the same things forever, that's boring.

I'm not terribly interested in how active TTC is, and 'clones' are currently more active than they've been in years.