Correlation between tetris skills and intelligence?

Started by apm10, December 19, 2012, 01:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManOfMiracles

There are a number of dumb players that are really good, too.
MiracleMan

tk198

I think generally speaking, the "intelligent" people are the ones that will actually be interested enough to look up the more advanced techniques involved in the game (such as t-spins). Most people don't realize how strategic the game can get and don't really expose themselves to a whole new aspect of the game (all spins, timing, etc).

But tetris is a relatively simple game so you do get a whole range of players.

myndzi

Quote from: riisssaaa
Without the use of wikis and Tetris guides the faster a player learns set-ups the more intelligent they are likely to be. Likewise the more efficient they get in the shorter the practice time at stacking and sending lines the more intelligent they are likely to be.

I think this pretty much covers it. Take IQ tests for an example. You score better on an IQ test by noticing and comprehending new things quickly and easily.

I don't think any knowledge or skills in the game *require* intelligence, but that's not the same thing as benefiting from it.

Panda

Quote from: tk198
I think generally speaking, the "intelligent" people are the ones that will actually be interested enough to look up the more advanced techniques involved in the game

Well there's a fine line between "intelligence" and "interest", two terms you use quite interchangeably. It could just so happen that an intelligent man chooses not to devote his time to a puzzle game and instead cranks out a 3.9 GPA. Just because he didn't have the same interest for Tetris, or just because some other person does, doesn't explicitly state anything regarding one's intelligence.

Also, conceptual/perception skills seem to be the most prominent and "required" in Tetris. While these are certainly aspects of intelligence, they are not the sole determinants by any means and thus, you can't really make a comparison and say a good Tetris player is any more "intelligent" than a poor Tetris player. More conceptual, perhaps, but not necessarily more intelligent.

tk198

Quote from: Panda
Well there's a fine line between "intelligence" and "interest", two terms you use quite interchangeably.

Well I used the word "interested" right after I used "intelligent" so I wouldn't say I used them interchangeably in my last post. All I said was that it seemed as though intelligent people were more drawn to the game of tetris, and therefore were more likely to find supplementary material to improve their game.

That's speaking from my own experience.

Panda

Quote from: tk198
Well I used the word "interested" right after I used "intelligent" so I wouldn't say I used them interchangeably in my last post. All I said was that it seemed as though intelligent people were more drawn to the game of tetris, and therefore were more likely to find supplementary material to improve their game.

That's speaking from my own experience.

In regards to Tetris, intelligence does not determine interest, and vice versa. Just because you're intelligent doesn't mean you'll be interested, and just because you're interested doesn't mean you're intelligent.

Yet you persist in saying statements like "the intelligent people are the ones that will actually be interested enough" and "it seemed as though intelligent people were more drawn to the game of tetris".

You tend to classify intelligent people as a whole and establish a correlation between their intelligence and their interest for Tetris. When in fact, their interest is purely trivial and their intelligence is simply a supplement to their interest, given that conceptual skills are present.

tk198

Quote from: Panda
In regards to Tetris, intelligence does not determine interest, and vice versa. Just because you're intelligent doesn't mean you'll be interested, and just because you're interested doesn't mean you're intelligent.

Yet you persist in saying statements like "the intelligent people are the ones that will actually be interested enough" and "it seemed as though intelligent people were more drawn to the game of tetris".

You tend to classify intelligent people as a whole and establish a correlation between their intelligence and their interest for Tetris. When in fact, their interest is purely trivial and their intelligence is simply a supplement to their interest, given that conceptual skills are present.

OMG I'm pretty sure that I didn't use "determine". Just saying that there is a correlation between the two does not imply cause-and-effect -_-. If it did then I might as well conclude that firetrucks cause house fires cause they seem to be at the site of most reported fires.

All I'm saying is that I've noticed that many tetris players happen to be intelligent people and I've hypothesized that it is because they are more likely to be interested in the game. Why do I have this tendency to make this classification? Because my friends who play tetris are all relatively intelligent people (I'm not talking about people on HD cause I don't know them personally). Yes, it's based on a small sample size but it doesn't change the fact that I've noticed a CORRELATION between the two (not cause-and-effect).

The topic title uses the word "correlation" not "causation". The OP may have made the same fallacy but I've been responding to the title.

apm10

I noticed a correlation as well and I was asking whether that was a causation. If you read my post is did not imply that there is a cause and effect relationship after the first post.

riisssaaa

There is a correlation between intelligence and interests... but its not a direct correlation. I think I summed it up earlier with the fact that more intelligent people are more likely to find deeper meanings, patterns and purposes in simpler things whereas less intelligent people will see the surface and not look further. Hence they may not have as much interest in something simple like Tetris.

tk198

^bingo, and my first post agrees with that completely.

riisssaaa

Mr Sjhfdgkg is an intelligent being.
All Ettsir players are intelligent beings.  

Therefore Mr Sjhfdgkg plays Ettsir.

True or,
False or,
Cannot be determined?

UJS3

I read a paper a few years ago that studied the way playing tetris alters brain function, so to some extent playing tetris may also improve skills that are associated with intelligence (visualization etc).

toppingoutivan

I'm pretty dumb, that's why I'm so bad on this game

poopmo

Panda

Quote from: riisssaaa
Mr Sjhfdgkg is an intelligent being.
All Ettsir players are intelligent beings.  

Therefore Mr Sjhfdgkg plays Ettsir.

True or,
False or,
Cannot be determined?

LOL never thought my logic course would actually be of use but no, your argument structure is in fact a logical fallacy (converse error). It would be true if you changed your second premise to "All intelligent beings play Ettsir" instead.