Correlation between tetris skills and intelligence?

Started by apm10, December 19, 2012, 01:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apm10

Does it take an above average intelligence to get good in tetris? Most of the top players here seems to be of high intelligence. Or perhaps a good deal of practice will do the trick.

XaeL

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

myndzi

First, you've gotta define 'good'. But then, you have to realize that there are plenty of smart people who aren't super pro at the game. We just talk a lot about Tetris here for, well, obvious reasons - and we've kind of exhausted all the simple things

I believe the most significant factor is dedication and practice, really. Everyone starts at a different place, and what and how you practice can impact your development as a player - but you'll get there eventually just by dedication and practice.

apm10

I would like to think myself as of average level, so anyone better than me is considered good? Yeah, i'll agree that determination is the most important factor. Still, my average intelligence friends gave up tetris easily, as they don't improve much within the first few weeks they played. Whereas I felt fun as improved quite quickly while beating a handful of others . I think that the higher the intelligence, the easier you get good in the game. In the end, more people with higher intelligence tend to get better while the others quitted early on. That is my hypothesis anyways, based on my own observations.

riisssaaa

I think the quick and only way to correlate intelligence to tetris is...

Without the use of wikis and Tetris guides the faster a player learns set-ups the more intelligent they are likely to be. Likewise the more efficient they get in the shorter the practice time at stacking and sending lines the more intelligent they are likely to be.

Simply because they learn faster and notice patterns faster.

Panda

Quote from: apm10
I would like to think myself as of average level, so anyone better than me is considered good? Yeah, i'll agree that determination is the most important factor. Still, my average intelligence friends gave up tetris easily, as they don't improve much within the first few weeks they played. Whereas I felt fun as improved quite quickly while beating a handful of others . I think that the higher the intelligence, the easier you get good in the game. In the end, more people with higher intelligence tend to get better while the others quitted early on. That is my hypothesis anyways, based on my own observations.

Implying that advanced tetris skills need high intelligence?

Eh no, it's really more about refined motor skills and good foresight. These skills can be developed through simple repetition and practice, no genius intelligence required.

apm10

I agree with that. Still, better players seems tend to be of a higher than average intelligence. My last post was me theorising why is that so, but yeah I did not make myself clear.

caffeine

I don't think it takes above average intelligence to be a good Tetris player at all. It's mostly just skill acquisition (time and effort invested).

What I will say is that, judging by some of the folks I've met through Tetris over the years, the game tends to draw in that sort of crowd. But to be fair, I think puzzle-type games in general tend to appeal to the smarter crowd.

riisssaaa

Quote from: apm10
I agree with that. Still, better players seems tend to be of a higher than average intelligence. My last post was me theorising why is that so, but yeah I did not make myself clear.

Perhaps its because higher intelligence people like looking for patterns in rather simple things.... So ermm... lower intelligence people might pass Tetris off as "dropping blocks, disappearing blocks -- repetition" and find it boring. They might play once or twice then decide to go for a shoot them up, GTA, KABOOOMPOWPOWPOW----PEWWWW----CRASH or Simpsons Road rage. (Don't get me wrong though.. driving over people is fun.)

Paradox

I'm super good and super smart so I think there is a correlation.

seriously speaking though, getting good at this game is just working really hard. You can achieve that either by addiction or determination. For some, both
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Chopin

XaeL

I thnk tehres a higher correlation between determination and skill level for tetris.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

MarioThePhenom

who said motor skills and foresight?
ive always had above average reflexes, which has translated over well to tetris. and a few other skills that ive acquired over the years of gaming  (nothing like sc2, or aoe, more like zelda). id say im above average intelligence, but not the reason for being good. i told my friend to try out marathon (first time he had ever played the game) and he scored about twice as good as i did on his first shot. hes about as smart as me, although his visualizing skills/art skills are out of the ordinary. so i think part of tetris comes from your ability to visualize things rather than pure intelligence

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

riisssaaa

Putting intelligence aside...
There is definite correlation between trauma-minimisation and Tetris!

Lost the articles though.

CaptainPaul

Yeah, I think caffeine nailed it. Tetris seems to attract smart people. My smart friends are my only friends who have tried it in the first place. But when some not-so-smart ones try it, they do just as well as the others.