Tetris tournament for newer players

Started by Katatoniopeth, October 04, 2012, 08:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katatoniopeth

Hi everybody, I am looking to create a more casual styled tournament for new/newer players. I am planning on setting a date for the tourney once I start seeing a decent amount of participants. It is basically going to be my way of creating an outlet for newer players to play on nullpomino without getting super frustrated by losing every game to all the leaguers that are 2x faster or more. To create fun and fair match lineups.

Having said that, anyone interested in participating, post your sprint times, so I can begin to fill the brackets and create fair lineups. All of the games are going to be played on nullpomino. Anyone with a sprint time under 50 seconds isn't eligible to participate in this tournament. My current personal best in sprint is 1:00.16. For now I am just going to play everything by ear, once I start getting some participants I will then figure out how exactly I am going to set this tournament up. I have heard this idea was tossed around in the past, but has never happened, so I am really going to put in my best effort to make sure it happens. As long as there are participants, something will be worked out . Myndzi is helping me out with this, so don't worry about it being legit, it is just that right now it is in the beginning stages, so depending on the # of participants, depends on how I will set it up

edit: If your sprint time is under 50 seconds, then play me in a couple games so I can determine whether it would be fair or not to have you as a participant. (if your time is sub 40, then you're probably going to dominate this event, and wouldn't be eligible just sayin)

Here are parameters of this event:

Everyone is going to be playing everyone, then the wins will be tallied up and a ladder will be created.  

Rules of the event:

You play 3 sets on nullpomino league, then report the winner and the score.

Other then the finals, pm to set up games.

Edit:As of now all active players have finished their round robin matches.
Double eliminations begin now!

Brackets are here:
http://challonge.com/tetrisfornewer

Still best of 3 sets, report the score after the match like before.
Pm to set up matches, gl hf

List of players and sprint times

Katatoniopeth- 0:59

Bigruss91-  1:20

Risa- 1:10

StS- 0:45

jezevec10 -0:54

Tk198 0:49

Sammmm-

I am interested in participating... My fastest sprint time is like 2:20

Katatoniopeth

MarioThePhenom

Quote from: Katatoniopeth
Myndzi is helping me out with this
this is good because myndzi has been around for while, so he can tell you who is actually a beginner rather then a slow experienced player

great idea though, of course im not joining

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

Katatoniopeth

Quote from: MarioThePhenom
this is good because myndzi has been around for while, so he can tell you who is actually a beginner rather then a slow experienced player

great idea though, of course im not joining

Was thinking about doing teams so I didn't need to make restrictions like these, and that would allow for more people to join however, that would just be ridiculously complicated, so I am just gonna stick to new players only.

myndzi

I would like to see this happen. I'll just put it out there that any smurfs will be banned from Harddrop for at least a week.

StS

What exactly are your criteria for 'newer player'. Like, I would consider myself a noob, but that's possibly cause I'm being overly pessimistic, but on the other hand you might not think that.

Btw, my Sprint time is 45.xx on Nullpo, so let me know if I'm eligible.
Sandal that Stinks

Current 40L (Nullpo): 35.32s

Katatoniopeth

Quote from: StS
What exactly are your criteria for 'newer player'. Like, I would consider myself a noob, but that's possibly cause I'm being overly pessimistic, but on the other hand you might not think that.

Btw, my Sprint time is 45.xx on Nullpo, so let me know if I'm eligible.

Play me in a couple games on Nullpo, I originally wanted the time to not be under 50 seconds, but speed isn't everything. There are going to be a lot of people who have times of 60 secs or higher, so I just want to make this as fair as possible, and not have a couple players who just dominate everyone playing.

So having said that, lemme know whenever your available to play on nullpo, we can play a few games and see how things go

pizzapizza

Katatoniopeth

Alright cool, you can join, just download nullpomino http://nullpo.it.cx/ and play a couple games of sprint (40 lines mode) and give me your best time so I can match you up with someone of your skill level to make things even and fair  oh and btw Aaron is just pulling your leg ttot is just a tetris tourney held on tetris friends, the best players compete and the top 4 win prizes. Sorry Aaron but messing with new members isn't really that funny in my opinion...

have_i_lost_yet

Katatoniopeth

Quote from: have_i_lost_yet
I'd be interested in this.  51:48

Yeah your in for sure , I remember playing you once we had some close games

riisssaaa

My sprint time is about 1:16 (1:12 - 1:23) ^^

Katatoniopeth

myndzi

Don't shit up the thread. This is your only warning.

Edit: You guys should seriously be ashamed of yourselves, I still can't believe this. And you wonder why we don't grow as a community?

Anyone coming late to the thread, you missed about a page and a half of deleted posts. Please don't mind the interruption, and I hope to see you at the tournament!