Tetris tournament for newer players

Started by Katatoniopeth, October 04, 2012, 08:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andraslu

I want to join, my best sprint is 01:46.32

Katatoniopeth

All of you qualify, I will add you to the list   I usually prefer playing people as opposed to sprint times, it definitely isn't a perfect way of doing things, but it is a faster way, and if I am in doubt I can just set up a date with any of you and play you in a couple of games just to be sure.

I have seen and or played a decent amount of the people with the faster times already, and played some of the others as well, so I think I have a decent handle on making sure that there won't be anyone dominating this event.

pizzapizza

Katatoniopeth

pizzapizza

Quote from: Katatoniopeth
No problem
hopefully sooner or later my time is getting better

yoyotonyz

XaeL

What happened to my entry? Oh u deleted it. Wow

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Katatoniopeth

@ players with a sub 40 time, I am still in the midst of figuring things out, I may be able to squeeze everyone in, give me a bit of time to work this out.

InkofDeath

Quote from: Katatoniopeth
This could work well, yeah using sprint times as a basis for determining how good players are is imperfect in itsself, do you mean having 4,5, or 6 people playing each other simultaneously?
Might not be setting up brackets according to sprint time anymore, though I edited it anyways just in case.
Say 50 people registered.
You would have 10 groups of 5 players.
Those 5 players would play 4 games.
Each game would be 1vs1 against an opponent in their group.
Also known as a round robin.

It wouldn't be a 6-Player FFA.

Also, limiting a tournament to a specific skill level is a difficult route to go. You won't be able to keep out those who are going to try and ruin it. Faking accounts, and other shenanigans will create a headache for you. Hold a normal tournament and allow newer players the ability to play as much as possible through proper tournament structure.

Katatoniopeth

Quote from: InkofDeath
Say 50 people registered.
You would have 10 groups of 5 players.
Those 5 players would play 4 games.
Each game would be 1vs1 against an opponent in their group.
Also known as a round robin.

It wouldn't be a 6-Player FFA.

Also, limiting a tournament to a specific skill level is a difficult route to go. You won't be able to keep out those who are going to try and ruin it. Faking accounts, and other shenanigans will create a headache for you. Hold a normal tournament and allow newer players the ability to play as much as possible through proper tournament structure.

I like this idea, I suppose it will just boil down to how many participants I get as to whether round robin will be viable or not. I definitely would like to do it that way if I get enough participants. As far as skill level goes, I don't want newer players getting discouraged, any ideas?

Thanks for your input , it is definitely going to help shape this tournament, and for someone like me being new to this (this is my first time doing something like this) I need all the help I can get.

riisssaaa

A round robin is okay if there aren't too many people or else it can become very very lengthly and very messy. ^^

Paradox

Quote from: XaeL

no questions allowed, ur killing esports

I heard Belze is going to work with the tourney host, true?
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Katatoniopeth

Quote from: Paradox
no questions allowed, ur killing esports

I heard Belze is going to work with the tourney host, true?

Yep, we are going to be collaborating on this, though it is still in the early stages. I am kind of overwhelmed at the moment,  I have been given a ton of suggestions as to how to set things up, I like InkofDeaths idea of a round robin style tourney the most thus far. Paradox you have done this sort of thing before right? Do you have any suggestions? I want to make this thing concrete so I don't confuse everyone on here.

myndzi

Quote from: XaeL

He didn't delete it, I did. I deleted a page and a half of what appeared to be troll replies from veteran HardDrop members.

You are too fast and too experienced for this tournament, that's all. Do not post in this thread further. If you have a problem, take it up with me somewhere else.

Katatoniopeth

Alright I got this figured out, I am going to pm everyone involved with the new set of rules dates, and any other necessary information  

edit: this tourney is now closed for entry 12 players is enough for the format.