Basic finesse explained in pretty pictures

Started by Barneey, July 29, 2012, 01:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barneey

********* WORK IN PROGRESS *********

Hi hi, I am Barney, and this is my little finesse tutorial.
A lot of players don't realise that there are multiple ways to get a piece to a certain location in the matrix, and some ways require less key presses than others, I'll include the most KPT (keys per tetromino) efficient ways.

If you've never paid any attention to KPT, you might do stuff like:
1. tap>tap>tap>tap, as opposed to the much more efficient wall>tapback.
2. left>right rotate instead of left rotate.
3. right rotate>right rotate>right rotate instead of left rotate.
The list goes on, but it varies from player to player.

Note:
I did not include the basic wall>tapback method. (Working on it)
Edit: I also left out wall>tapback>rotate, as Paradox pointed out. (Also working on it)
I'm sorry if it's not colorblind friendly, please let me know which colors to substitute with to make it so.
L and R are left rotate and right rotate, they're just there to tell you which way to rotate the piece. (Spoiler: the blue ones are the only ones that have R, don't tell anyone)

In the examples below:
RED pieces are wall>left rotate, in other words, you hold down left or right until it reaches the respective wall, then you left rotate it once.

BLUE pieces are wall>right rotate, same as the above, except rotate opposite direction.
Note: The sequence for BLUE S and Z and be replaced by left>left>left rotate for S, and left>left>right rotate for Z

PURPLE pieces are the prettiest pieces, and they are quite simply, left rotate.

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/ISmHj.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/ISmHj.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Fumens to explain the images above, just in case:
[spoiler][fumen]110@7eTBkihapEA3iMDEpapNAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBAAAp?KPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CABcpAAhapEA3iMDEZbpOAyeh1D0oo?2Ay3WeD0oBAAZLPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CABcpAAJcpNAsI/dE?FbUVEPP0dEFBAAAJMPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CABcpAAhdpEA3i?MDEpdpNAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBAAApNPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31C?ABcpAAhdpEA3iMDEZepOAyeh1D0oo2Ay3WeD0oBAAZOPLAo?CaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA[/fumen]
[fumen]110@7eIVpi1fpEA3iMDEtfpOAy3WeD0488AQLOyDI/BAAt?PPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAVhpAAVjpEA3iMDEdjpNAsI/dEFbU?VEPP0dEFBAAAdTPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAAA[/fumen]
[fumen]110@7eLHkinapEA3iMDEPbpOAy3WeD0488AQLOyDI/BAAP?QPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAHcpAAfcpNAy3WeD0488AQCtuDUBA?AAfRPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAHcpAAHepEA3iMDEfepNAsI/dE?FbUVEPP0dEFBAAAfTPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA[/fumen]
[fumen]110@7eLEkikapEA3iMDEsapOAyeh1D0oo2Ay3WeD0oBAAs?PPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAEcpAA8bpNAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBA?AA8gBEcpAAEepEA3iMDE8dpNAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBAAA8S?PLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA[/fumen]
[fumen]110@7eISpiyfpEA3iMDEqfpOAyeh1D0oo2Ay3WeD0oBAAq?PPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAShpAASjpEA3iMDEajpNAsI/dEFbU?VEPP0dEFBAAAaTPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA[/fumen]
[fumen]110@7eIWpi2fpEA3iMDEufpOAyeh1D0oo2Ay3WeD0oBAAu?PPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAWhpAAWjpEA3iMDEejpNAsI/dEFbU?VEPP0dEFBAAAeTPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA[/fumen]
[/spoiler]

In the examples below:
GREEN pieces are left>left rotate, move it to the left once, then rotate it left once.

YELLOW pieces are a little complicated, but bear with me. They are right wall>tapback>rotate.
This means you move the piece to the wall by holding down the arrow key, tap back once, then rotate it left.

Note: You should not use this method to get the piece to the mirrored position (left wall>tapback>right rotate), this is because when the Tetromino spawns in the matrix, it is one column closer to the left wall than it is to the right one, so if you want to place the piece in the mirrored position, the best way to do so is left>left>right rotate

Note 2: This way could be replaced by right>right>left rotate or right>right>right rotate

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/LN97k.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/LN97k.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Fumens for ^:
[spoiler][fumen]110@7eEBkihbpEAsI/dE5WpNAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBAAA5?LPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA[/fumen]
[fumen]110@7eFVpiVjpEA3iMDE1ipEAsI/dE9ipNAsI/dEFbUVEP?P0dEFBAAA9SPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA[/fumen]
[fumen]110@7eJHkinbpEAsI/dE/bpNAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBAAA/?QPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAXcpAAXepEA3iMDE3dpEAsI/dE/ip?NAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBAAA/SPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA?[/fumen]
[fumen]110@7eJUki0bpEAsI/dEcgpNAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBAAAc?QPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAUcpAAUepEA3iMDE0dpEAsI/dEcip?NAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBAAAcSPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA?[/fumen]
[fumen]110@TeF3hbI3gbI3gbB3pbSpi7eJSjpEA3iMDEyipEAsI/?dE6ipNAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFBAAA6SPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CA?ShpAASjpEA3iMDEyipEAsI/dEqipOAyeh1D0oo2Ay3WeD0o?BAAqSPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA[/fumen]
[fumen]110@TeG3hbH3gbI3gbB3pbWpi7eJWjpEA3iMDE2ipEAsI/?dEuipOAyeh1D0oo2Ay3WeD0oBAAuSPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CA?WhpAAWjpEA3iMDE2ipEAsI/dE+ipNAsI/dEFbUVEPP0dEFB?AAA+SPLAoCaoDFbEmDy31CAAwNAA[/fumen][/spoiler]

Koplex

Herpy derp derp

Destiny

I understand this but it took me a long time because the pictures confused me

Lucho

[div align=\\\"center\\\"][spoiler]
Funky Ruskie[/div][div align=\\\"center\\\"] [/div][/spoiler]

xenoslash

I'll be sure to put this into good use. Thanks barney  

EDIT: and, this is much more convenient for me to use compared to the wiki. Good thing you filtered out tapback, and the tap2 scenarios.
"I just know everything." - kwillin

Paradox

this doesn't include all the special cases but its enough for someone who is new to studying finesse. The basic concepts can go a long way.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

Barneey

Alright, thanks for the feedback, I'll make another little picture thingie where i include wall>tapback>rotate, and left>left rotate, i'll probably make one for just the wall>tapback too, it seems like people might be having difficulties understanding.

perfectclear

Quote from: Lucho
http://harddrop.com/wiki/0G_60_Hz_SRS_L_Movement_Finesse

7c. movement is very unorthodox, that would be a good case to write
7c is wrong. the proper finesse is tap twice right, rotate left. if you do as it says on wiki you will end up one space right of where you should be. someone should probably fix that...

Barneey

Quote from: perfectclear
7c is wrong. the proper finesse is tap twice right, rotate left. if you do as it says on wiki you will end up one space right of where you should be. someone should probably fix that...

This is only true if you do left rotate>wall>tapback instead of wall>tapback>left rotate (alternately wall>left rotate>tapback)

Edit: However, you are right in that it could be replaced by right>right>left rotate, both of these sequences are 3 key inputs, although the one you presented may be favorable because you don't have to charge DAS.

caffeine

Quote from: perfectclear

7c is correct. Look again. Tapping right twice and rotating left is 6c.

Achille

You should call the thread "basic finesse" instead of ''advanced', shouldn't you ?

If they ever tell my story, let them say I walked with giants.

Men rise and fall like the winter wheat but these names will never die.

Let them say I lived in the time of Hector tamer of horses.

Let them say... ...I lived in the time of Achilles.

Barneey

Quote from: Achille
You should call the thread "basic finesse" instead of ''advanced', shouldn't you ?

What would I have to cover to justify calling it advanced finesse?

Achille

Well, I might be wrong but, IMHO, it looks like a simplified guidebook of all the finesse movements.

If they ever tell my story, let them say I walked with giants.

Men rise and fall like the winter wheat but these names will never die.

Let them say I lived in the time of Hector tamer of horses.

Let them say... ...I lived in the time of Achilles.

Barneey

Quote from: Achille
Well, I might be wrong but, IMHO, it looks like a simplified guidebook of all the finesse movements.

This is indeed correct, my mission was to bring awareness to the existence of finesse, and make a few drawings of the different placements to explain how to do it.

But I am still wondering, what do you consider advanced finesse?
I would categorize wall>tapback and left rotation into basic finesse, and the rest, (wall>rotate, wall>tap>rotate...) I would put under advanced, because they are not at all intuitive and they usually need to be learned through reading about it somewhere, hence my thread.

myndzi

Advanced finesse? I'd say, mostly ARS in this case. SRS is pretty unpredictable about floor kicks, but "advanced" could be considered doing things like drop and then rotate to take advantage of kicks.

I actually found myself doing this quite a bit with SRS anyway, while practicing with a hidden active piece (when I was cheating).

The definition of finesse is the moves you are describing, so while some of them aren't intuitive, they are pretty much the very essence of "basic" when talking about finesse