Basic finesse explained in pretty pictures

Started by Barneey, July 29, 2012, 01:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barneey

Quote from: myndzi
Advanced finesse? I'd say, mostly ARS in this case. SRS is pretty unpredictable about floor kicks, but "advanced" could be considered doing things like drop and then rotate to take advantage of kicks.

I actually found myself doing this quite a bit with SRS anyway, while practicing with a hidden active piece (when I was cheating).

The definition of finesse is the moves you are describing, so while some of them aren't intuitive, they are pretty much the very essence of "basic" when talking about finesse

Thanks for chiming in, Myndzi.
I am a little unclear about what you're saying though, do you mean that "movement finesse" is just a subcategory within the term finesse?
Also, I find this quite intriguing "drop and then rotate to take advantage of kicks.", is this something that is usually overlooked, or is it just rare to stumble upon in a normal guideline multiplayer game? Nevermind, I found it on the wiki!

myndzi

Quote from: Barneey
Thanks for chiming in, Myndzi.
I am a little unclear about what you're saying though, do you mean that "movement finesse" is just a subcategory within the term finesse?
Also, I find this quite intriguing "drop and then rotate to take advantage of kicks.", is this something that is usually overlooked, or is it just rare to stumble upon in a normal guideline multiplayer game? Nevermind, I found it on the wiki!

I'm talking about moves like this:
[fumen]110@neB3ibE3pbaXpJAp7rSASIX3B3AAAA7eDaxqLAGOyG?EFbEmDy31CAy1qLAS3WeD0488Awk8BAyVPLATX/dEFbEmDy?31CAAAA[/fumen]
This can be done by holding CW and then, when the piece spawns, you alternate hands: firm, rotate, lock; it's pretty quick. The "basic" 2-step finesse would require tap left, firm, lock. Placing something inbetween firm drop and soft drop that uses the other hand is pretty effective, while up-down motions of a joystick can give problems with accidental shifts to noobs like me. This move makes the placement more reliable and slightly faster.

That's what I'd call "advanced" finesse.

When people around here use just the term "finesse", they are generally referring specifically to 0 gravity SRS 2-step finesse of the sort diagrammed on the wiki. Context may imply otherwise. Most of us don't refer to sub-optimal finesse as "finesse"

perfectclear

one example of "advanced" finesse in srs:
say, you have a piece that you want to place 1 slot left of the right wall, and the next piece full left wall. standard finesse would have you go full right, rotate-kick off of it, place, das full left, and place. "advanced" would have you rotate first, das full right, press and hold left, drop before it dases- the next piece will already have das charged and will fly to the left wall, saving a couple frames of charging.

there are other "advanced" techniques you might find in lapsilap's 40l games.

myndzi

^^ Frequently referred to [perhaps only by Kitaru] as "DAS preservation"

You can alter your whole stacking strategy to exploit that kind of thing, but I've never thought of it as 'finesse' since it involves a scope outside of placing a single piece.

You could probably also call the T-piece kick into TSD slot a type of finesse.

Barneey

Hmm, I see, thanks for the ironic lesson in finesse, hehe.
Would a moderator be so kind as to replace the word advanced with basic in the title?

myndzi

Okay.

vvv I don't care what the title is, it's the discussion that's interesting. But since users can't change titles, I'll do it since he asked

caffeine

I gotta show Barney a little love here. The "advanced" title personally doesn't bother me at all. If I had to break down finesse stuff into levels, here's how I'd do it:
  • Basic
    • Using both rotation buttons
    • Autorepeat, then tap-back for cases where you need to go one column away from the wall.
    • Rotating S, Z, and I the correct way in order to save taps (in cases when it doesn't go all the way to the wall).
  • Advanced (full 2-step finesse)
    • Autorepeat, then rotating off the wall (instead of rotate, then autorepeat, then tap-back; also instead of the I-piece's case of rotate move+move).
    • The tricky L, J, and T autorepeat to the right wall and then rotate and tap-back.
    • Knowing when to double tap instead of tap-backing when it avoids the need to autorepeat.
  • Supplementary moves
    • Taking advantage of DAS preservation.
    • In high gravity, taking advantage of floorkicks when it saves movements (or also used in near-topout situations).
    • Taking advantage of downward wallkicks when doing a soft drop in order to save a row descension (e.g. for T-Spinning).
    • Knowing when not to do normal 2-step moves in near-topout situations.

Paul676

Added to most useful threads list.

I think this should be in strategies/guides section of the forum so more people can find it.

Tetris Belts!

Barneey

Quote from: Paul676
Added to most useful threads list.

I think this should be in strategies/guides section of the forum so more people can find it.

Oops, you're totally right.
I'm sorry to bother moderators again, but if you could move this thread to the strategies/guides section, I would appreciate it. I'll be more careful next time!

braczdd

nice guide  something i can practice without forming brain bubbles. thx!