"Multiplayer (i.e mixed)"
12 (38.7%)
"Dig race (i.e. a bit of speed a bit of thinking)"
4 (12.9%)
"Dig challenge "
5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

XaeL

Ok so basically what is the best method for teaching someone really new to the game until they reach a point of around 60s sprint or say 30-40s dig race?

discussion plox.

my thoughts

60s+ sprint -> sprint
50->60s -> dig race/challenge
< 50s -> everything.

reasoning -> if u can 60s sprint ur using some previews. This helps when u try and pick up digging.

I personally think its a bit much to learn how to dig 90% garbage when u cant even read 2-3 previews.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Rosti_LFC

Until they get to 60s 40L they just need to be put in a cage with Nullpomino until they can use DAS properly and rotate both ways.

For the poll, it entirely depends on what their final goal is. If they want 40L world record, dig race is fairly useless. If they want to be sh**-hot at TetriNET, I would say they only play dig race.

XaeL

zomg rosti agrees with me.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Until they get to 60s 40L they just need to be put in a cage with Nullpomino until they can use DAS properly and rotate both ways.[/quote]

agree x 100000

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Paradox

multiplayer b best practice. with mostly dig race (going for fewest pieces) as supplemental practice
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

XaeL

more reasoning peoples. i like polls but i like discussion too.

caffeine

Honestly, if they're new, I think this is overkill. Let them just play and enjoy the game as any newbie would. This is the "play and learn" stage, not the "hardcore skill acquisition" stage. You don't want to burn them out before they've even had a chance for the game to work its charm.

I say let them play, sit back, and if they become truly enchanted by the game, then they'll break a minute in sprint--no problem. Elsewise, they might not really care to put in the time and effort required for all of this.

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: caffeine
Honestly, if they're new, I think this is overkill. Let them just play and enjoy the game as any newbie would. This is the "play and learn" stage, not the "hardcore skill acquisition" stage. You don't want to burn them out before they've even had a chance for the game to work its charm.

I say let them play, sit back, and if they become truly enchanted by the game, then they'll break a minute in sprint--no problem. Elsewise, they might not really care to put in the time and effort required for all of this.
This is real life not a Disney film :|

XaeL

Quote from: Rosti_LFC
agree.

when i started playing i played 40L only for like a month and got like 58.

Then i started playing other modes.

ohitsstef

when i first started playing i played.. 40 lines mostly. only single rotated.. but i moved to bb and learned how to double rotate. then started working on downstacking through driller/survivor.. but i learned the most from playing against others.

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

caffeine

Quote from: Rosti_LFC

This actually made me a little sad. You've never experienced the magic of Tetris? It's better than Disney!

Anonymous

Welp, I goofed. I voted before I read the thread.

The best training for beginners is playing/competing against your friends. I wouldn't necessarily constitute this as multiplayer though since there are other ways to play against your friends than just pure vs mode.

For instance, a few years ago on Facebook, a lot of my friends used to play Sprint, Marathon, and the other modes, and we would all try to beat each other. It was a lot of fun too. But the competition between friends is what made the game fun, not necessarily the game.

There are a lot of games out there that are stupid, but have a lot of competition between friends. Then these games become really popular, and people get really good at them, like Temple Run for iPhone and Android.
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

coolmaninsano

I really got into Tetris by trying to send more lines than my friend on TB Beta, then whoever was the fastest at Sprint, then first to sixteen matches on Live/Arena, then I was off on my own.

I think multiplayer is the best practice because it needs sustainable but not maxed out speeds and requires careful downstacking. For new players, I'd recommend the cage until sub-60, and then mostly multiplayer with a little sprint here and there. Maybe not until sub-45 would I recommend playing a tonne of sprint.

XaeL

Dear everyone who wrote "multiplayer".

90% of players in gold and below (tetris friends) are the people who "play multiplayer for training"

The majority of platinum people are people who spent ages in sprint before going to multiplayer and/or are combo people.

Please justify why multiplayer is the "bestest" training plz.

caffeine

Quote from: XaeL
Please justify why multiplayer is the "bestest" training plz.
The two posts above you justified playing multiplayer, and to a lesser extent other modes, by saying it was how they themselves learned. coolmaninsano said, "because it needs sustainable but not maxed out speeds and requires careful downstacking." Anonymous said, "the competition between friends is what made the game fun, not necessarily the game. There are a lot of games out there that are stupid, but have a lot of competition between friends. Then these games become really popular, and people get really good at them."

DarthDuck

I voted for dig challenge even though it takes a lot of persistence and determination to keep doing it. Definitely not dig race because that includes too many forced restarts after the first few seconds after realizing that you didn't get the perfect piece combination to nuke the whole stack.

I also did not vote for sprint considering how many forced restarts are necessary. Watching a live stream of Paradox he would force restart at least 1/7 times.

That kind of gameplay (perfection or nothing) is just going to frustrate beginners and burn them out.
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I