Explain to me what's your perfect DAS

Started by VienVong, October 21, 2011, 05:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

Quote from: DarthDuck
ok Paradox. I will try 5 DAS for a month. And if I don't kill myself in the process, I should enter December being able to handle 7 fine, and God knows, maybe 6.

you will probably have tons of trouble if you switch right into it, I did 1 at a time
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

ryanunban

I always thought  all the fast guys used really fast das.  Hence whenever I got the chance I would always push my self to use faster das.  I am at 5 now on null comfortably and still struggle to break the 3pps mark.  
After reading this thread it seems as if I use faster das then the fastest player know to man kind.
Therefore I have come to the conclusion that the reason i am slower than sh** is not from my use of slow das.  My controls on the other hand may be a different story...

Paradox

You are under 3 pps because you don't play enough. Everything else may be important but THE most important thing is grinding games out.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

XaeL

Quote from: Paradox
You are under 3 pps because you don't play enough. Everything else may be important but THE most important thing is grinding games out.
and make sure u dont just grind games dumbly. i think that was implied.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

stb

I'm a relatively slow player at 51s for 40 lines.

I use 5 DAS 0 ARR on NullpoMino with 60FPS, tried to go down to 4 but it seems I can't tap faster than 4 frames.

Since I haven't learned to play with correct 2-step finesse, having relatively fast DAS doesn't really seem to matter.

XaeL

Quote from: stb
I'm a relatively slow player at 51s for 40 lines.

I use 5 DAS 0 ARR on NullpoMino with 60FPS, tried to go down to 4 but it seems I can't tap faster than 4 frames.

Since I haven't learned to play with correct 2-step finesse, having relatively fast DAS doesn't really seem to matter.

u do realise 51s puts u in the 99th percentile of tetris players for speed right?

And yeah if u have good 2 step finesse, even at 10~ frame das u can hit 25 seconds (i believe mbison had the former world record using 10 frame das)

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

MarioThePhenom

interesting how the fastest player uses the same das i do yet hes twice as fast:P

and i dont think it really matters about how fats your DAS is, like previous pple have said, if your fast, youll play fast, pple have fatser 40L times then me on TF even though theyre playing at 3/5 and im playing 5/5(EDIT: and laspi lap, 21 secondes to my record of 43 secondes)
it all matters about how fast you can process the pieces

and even though this is highly off topic, what does ARE and AR stand for?

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

ohitsstef

Quote from: MarioThePhenom

and i dont think it really matters about how fats your DAS is, like previous pple have said, if your fast, youll play fast, pple have faster 40L times then me on TF even though theyre playing at 3/5 and im playing 5/5

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

XaeL

interesting how the fastest player uses the same das i do yet hes twice as fast:P

and i dont think it really matters about how fats your DAS is, like previous pple have said, if your fast, youll play fast, pple have fatser 40L times then me on TF even though theyre playing at 3/5 and im playing 5/5(EDIT: and laspi lap, 21 secondes to my record of 43 secondes)

and even though this is highly off topic, what does ARE and AR stand for?
ARE = entry delay
AR = auto repeat.

Entry delay = delay between placing piece to when you can drop/control the next piece. (usually 0)

Auto repeat = rate at which piece moves once DAS (delayed auto shift) kicks in. Usually this is set to infinity (instantly hit the wall) however some games use 60hz (moves once per frame, e.g. tetris friends)

Paradox

ZOMG-_- is it really so confusing?

MOST IMPORTANT:

GRINDING GAMES

important but far less than grinding:

fast das, finesse, etc etc etc

Don't say that das doesn't matter, try playing on 20 das if you think thats the case. The whole point of lower DAS is for optimization NOT so you can beat your 40L record by 20 seconds. BLARGH RAGEQUIT

myndzi

The thing that matters for playing with low DAS is accuracy in timing. If your keyboard sucks, your computer doesn't run the game smoothly/consistently, or you can't accurately distinguish between the transition point, then your DAS will be unreliable. Unreliable DAS is bad, and will cause misdrops - which will necessarily slow you down both by making it more difficult to play and by contradicting your expectations, which interrupts your flow.

Playing fast, as has been stated, depends more on the player's ability to perceive and queue actions than on the technical amount of frames it takes to execute those actions. The difference between 4 DAS and 8 DAS is 4 frames - .066~ of a second. The difference between moving your eyes to the top of the field to recognize the next piece, think where to put it, and act on that, is at least that long. Which, then, is the more useful skill to attack? Handling a 2 frame difference in DAS, or being able to take in the entire game and process it more readily?

If you want to play fast, the two components are reading the piece sequence and executing the placements. You can do a lot of things to refine "executing the placements", but it's proven out that many of the fastest players get their scores without taking advantage of every available refinement. That says a lot about what really goes into fast play.

DarthDuck

and even though this is highly off topic, what does... AR stand for?
ARR is Auto Repeat Rate. DAS is how many frames need to go by while you hold down your left or right key before it starts sliding automatically, and ARR is how fast it slides once it starts to slide.

On nullpo, DAS delay is the ARR. Most people keep that on 0 because they want to be able to bounce a piece off a wall instantly if they are going to be committing to DAS. There are a couple people who use slower ARR, but have not yet shared why they do this.

But as Kitaru also has pointed out, poor programming on TF means that 3, 4, or 5 ARR* are all logical equivalents as far as the code is concerned. So as long as your DAS on TF is at least 3, then you're good. That will still be slower than the 1 DAS delay that some of our players choose to use.
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

MarioThePhenom

Quote from: XaeL
ARE = entry delay
AR = auto repeat.

Entry delay = delay between placing piece to when you can drop/control the next piece. (usually 0)

Auto repeat = rate at which piece moves once DAS (delayed auto shift) kicks in. Usually this is set to infinity (instantly hit the wall) however some games use 60hz (moves once per frame, e.g. tetris friends)

i could have figured out what they did just by knowing what they stood for:P but thanks for the definition anyways!

and idk how to multi quote yet, so this ones at darth ducks latest message:P
i know what ARR and DAS stand for, after a year of TF who wouldnt?

but i didnt know about the 3/4/5 thingy, cause when i was increasing my DAS (keeping in mind ARR is at max for TF) when i would go from 3 to 4, and 4 to 5 it'd take me a bit of time because there was a speed increase, or so i thought?

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

DarthDuck

but i didnt know about the 3/4/5 thingy, cause when i was increasing my DAS (keeping in mind ARR is at max for TF) when i would go from 3 to 4, and 4 to 5 it'd take me a bit of time because there was a speed increase, or so i thought?
You're mixing DAS and ARR up. DAS will make a difference at 3/4/5, but not ARR. Here is my source: http://kitaru.1101b.com/writings/tetris5.html

i know what ARR and DAS stand for, after a year of TF who wouldnt?
You might be surprised how many capped rank 20s have no idea about the upgrades or don't care (I'm guessing 80% of them).

and idk how to multi quote yet
As far as I know, multiquotes need to be done manually. [spoiler]
If you want to respond to multiple parts of the same quote, such as how I am in this post, then just copy/paste the entire quote a few times, then edit out the relevant parts. If you want to bring in a quote from a different post, just control-A, control-x, then go to the other Post. Type control-v at the beginning of the post, and then you have everything you just wrote plus the new quote.

You can also just manually type something like this:
[quote] blahblahblah [/quote]

[quote="Mario"] itsa me! [/quote]

or

[quote="Mario @ Oct 22, 2011"] itsa me! [/quote]

[/spoiler]
Pyrrhonian disclaimer: If I use assertive language, then I only do so as a manner of speaking. I might say "the sun will rise tomorrow", but deep down, like anything else, I can never really know that. So if I

MarioThePhenom

Quote from: DarthDuck
You're mixing DAS and ARR up. DAS will make a difference at 3/4/5, but not ARR. Here is my source: http://kitaru.1101b.com/writings/tetris5.html
You might be surprised how many capped rank 20s have no idea about the upgrades or don't care (I'm guessing 80% of them).
As far as I know, multiquotes need to be done manually. [spoiler]
If you want to respond to multiple parts of the same quote, such as how I am in this post, then just copy/paste the entire quote a few times, then edit out the relevant parts. If you want to bring in a quote from a different post, just control-A, control-x, then go to the other Post. Type control-v at the beginning of the post, and then you have everything you just wrote plus the new quote.

You can also just manually type something like this:
[quote] blahblahblah [/quote]

[quote="Mario"] itsa me! [/quote]

or

[quote="Mario @ Oct 2011, 2011"] itsa me! [/quote]

[/spoiler]

lol thanks for that:)

and im not mixing up DAS and ARR, i just dont pay the most atetion to what is being read sometimes:P

or to my sspelling....