TGM and T-Spins

Started by pumpupthejam, September 14, 2011, 08:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpupthejam

Why is it that on the majority of videos I see of people playing TGM  they are concentrating on getting Tetrises and not worrying so much about T-spins?

ManOfMiracles

because tspins are rewarded in that game
MiracleMan

pumpupthejam

Quote from: ManOfMiracles
because tspins are rewarded in that game

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense.

gif

sarcasm.

they are not rewarded in TGM. you can use tspins SOMETIMES to fix misdrops or to make your stack nicer, other than that (especially when it gets faster) there is no time for Tspin doubles not to mention triples. If someone performs these, its mostly to show off.

DAS44

Quote from: pumpupthejam
Sorry, but that doesn't make sense.
How doesn't it make sense? you get the points for clearing the lines in question (though TSTs are not possible), but there is no bonus for T spin in TGM. It is purely speed and stacking based. They're only used to repair mistakes, like gif said.

Of course small kicks are incredibly useful in game

gif

Quote from: DAS44
(though TSTs are not possible)

yes and no. you can play with SRS in TGM3, but... that's not a real TGM without ARS  but you CAN TST in TGM

DAS44

Quote from: gif
yes and no. you can play with SRS in TGM3, but... that's not a real TGM without ARS  but you CAN TST in TGM
Well, I was assuming the classic ruleset :/

gif

Quote from: DAS44
Well, I was assuming the classic ruleset :/

Well you should. thats the real TGM after all. just trying show that what i wrote wasn't really stupid...

"OMG IM SO DUMB, he is right, there are no TST in TGM :'c now the whole internet is making fun of me... oh wait... you can set the rotation system to SRS... of course ! thats what i meant in the first place ! HOHOHOHHOHO"

Wojtek

Quote from: pumpupthejam
concentrating on getting Tetrises and not worrying so much about T-spins
Isn't this what Tetris is about?
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

meow

They are rewarded with 'cools' in TGM3 and maybe bonus points as well.

TGM players usually prioritise grade and time. The main factors in achieving a high grade are speed and consistency. Tspins don't help much unless, like gif said, it is used to fix misdrops or for intentional hangs (20g technique).

I think the most common Tspins you will see are the Tspin zeros besides the right Tetris column. Tspins aren't special in TGM, they are just one of a number of twists every proficient player should know.

[fumen]110@RdB3jbH3hbH3hbG3ibH3hbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3qb?Nqc7eFFqcdqcAgbMqcEKBAAA[/fumen]

pumpupthejam

Quote from: Wojtek
Isn't this what Tetris is about?

It doesn't seem to be about that as much these days IMO.  I guess you're being rhetorical there.  Infact, last time I played you at Nullpo you kicked my a** using T-spins.

coolmaninsano

[fumen]110@hdE3kbF3jbE3ibA3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3qbNpc7?eBV+OZAVoo2AK4DWCZoo2Az7rSAS4twBHdUABmAAAAAwNAA?[/fumen]

zaphod77

TI (and only that game so far in the TGM series) does recognize t-spins, but it detects them in a very odd way.  if your last move was a rotate and the t piece clears a line, it is counted as a t-spin. Even if you spun it, then rotated it back to the way it was.  Even if there's no t-slot whatsoever and the piece is not immobile.

When you are playing with world rotation, ti does notice t-spin triples (they are possible then), and gives a big bonus in easy mode for doing them. I believe they are also worth a special cool if you pull one off in master mode (but special cools do nothing fro your grade).

XaeL

Quote from: coolmaninsano
[fumen]110@hdE3kbF3jbE3ibA3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3qbNpc7?eBV+OZAVoo2AK4DWCZoo2Az7rSAS4twBHdUABmAAAAAwNAA?[/fumen]
Hero fumen.

[fumen]110@hdE3kbF3hbA3gbE3ibA3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3qb?Npc7eAV+OZAVoo2AK4DWCZoo2Az7rSAS4twBHdUABmAAAAz?dAAmcAwNAA[/fumen]

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Amnesia

Voici un bon exemple de figures de style possible avec l´ARS, voici MOM, le meilleur joueur (japonnais) sur TGM3 EASY. Ici le tspin est un élément clé car il compte autant qu´un Tetris mais il ne mange que 2 lignes.

EDIT : sorry my brain was set in french  

Here a nice example of tricks we can do with ARS. Here is MOM, the best japanese player in EASY mode of TGM3 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceJQ0gY3x0A
We are introducing the ARS into HD like a virus. You can't escape neither resist, ARS will win.