Team cancel 2v2 interest check

Started by myndzi, June 10, 2011, 11:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you play?

"Yes"
13 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 13

myndzi

OK. Team cancel won by a good bunch in my other poll, but there were only 10 voters. I need a few more than 5 teams to make this worth everyone's time. If you missed the other thread, team cancel would be a mode where your attacks cancel garbage from your teammate's garbage meter. The goal is to enhance cooperation, promote teamwork, and in general give 2v2 less of a 1v2 feel.

Since the next Nullpomino version is going to be a major internal revision, it is both far away and not necessarily going to include this option -- but it would be easy for me to just edit it into 7.6 and run a development server. The downside is that to participate, you would need to download a separate copy of Nullpomino to play on.

Vote if you (one vote per person, not one vote per team) would like to participate in a 2v2 team cancel tournament. Format is undecided yet, and may depend on participation.

Interest will determine whether I do it now or some other time.

coolmaninsano

Would this require moving between NullpoMino versions and servers during a match?

myndzi

No, no. This isn't like HDTL or anything. This would be a tournament dedicated to 2v2 - teams of 2 players would compete and one would win. It'd have to be held on an alternate Nullpo though, because the current one doesn't support the idea.

myndzi

Moar votes! Get your friends, your potential partners, etc.! GET HYPE

myndzi

Just to update you guys on the status of this, I think 11 is enough to have a reasonable competition, but there are some problems. The biggest one is that team cancel doesn't really work without ARE. We had some fun with 60 are, but I think that will probably change the interest numbers.

The other is that I had separate problems implementing it in 7.6 and 7.5. I managed to make it work in 7.6, but 7.6 fails to honor the custom room settings. I haven't got it to work in 7.5 yet.

Life's about to jump up on me too, so I'm going to have to put this project on the back burner. Of course, if anyone wants to step up and help get the code done, I'll be grateful... but I think 60 ARE will drive people off and smaller ARE will not bring out the implicit teamwork that I was going for. There's always tank mode, I suppose.