Tetris Friends name change?

Started by Wojtek, December 28, 2010, 12:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Tetris Friends have a different name?

"Yes"
15 (46.9%)
"No"
17 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

blazen_azn

solo2001

I wonder if it's possible to have a thread on HD that doesn't in some way bash tetris friends.
[15:40] DAS44: trolliest thread ever was solo's

Paradox

Quote from: solo2001
I wonder if it's possible to have a thread on HD that doesn't in some way bash tetris friends.

Some of it is intelligent discussion. If you want a forum that isn't realistic about strengths/flaws i'm afraid you will have to make one yourself, with only you on it.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

solo2001

Quote from: Paradox
Some of it is intelligent discussion. If you want a forum that isn't realistic about strengths/flaws i'm afraid you will have to make one yourself, with only you on it.
?  What did I say about intelligent discussion? I just said TF seems to get bashed on every thread. Even unrelated ones.
I've been on HD for a long time, and I can tell you it happens alot. I think you're looking into that post too much.

And for the record, it was a light-hearted comment.
[15:40] DAS44: trolliest thread ever was solo's

KeroKai

Quote from: Paradox
That shouldn't be the only condition to be top ranked imo. I think top ranked should be the top 5%. It would hold much more prestige that way. There are probably over 100 rank 20's on TF.

What sort of ranking system would you rather prefer instead then? Something similar to TOJ/Blockbox/DS?

I'll just bring up an argument that you have brought up in the past. One of the advantages TetrisFriend has over something like Nullpomino is the fact that it's name is catchy. The same could be said about it's ranking system. It might not be the most representitive at higher levels, but it sure does simplify things for most individuals and provide seperate boundaries for ranks (Bronze/Silver/Gold).

I'm confused to why you'd only want the top 5% represented as the top rank. The number seems a little arbitrary.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
Regarding the limitations I don't think it is improving their skill. I think DAS/AR brings all the top players down drastically and doesn't affect the noobs as much.

Say a there is a 130 TPM player on BB. When he goes on TF right after lets say it slows him down to 100 TPM (hes disadvantaged already). But a TF only player who goes 100 TPM will still be around 100 TPM if just switched to BB. Speed is a part of skill, having delay that you don't need only brings players down to the same level.[/quote]

I'm kind of skeptical about this idea. What's to say that the TF player who goes at 100 TPM won't be able to achieve 130 on BB. Others have argued in the past that speed in BB will eventually transfer over to TF, so it's more likely that you'd end up out performing that 100 TPM player if he really is just 100 TPM.

I don't really understand this idea of being disadvantaged tbh.
It's like playing tetris DS and then claiming that you are disadvantages because of the speed caps. When in reality, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the conditions are much more harsher because of the slower speeds. Sure, you won't be playing your fastest game, instead you'd be playing whatever game there is with those conditions.

It's for this reason that I don't really mind playing with 1/1 settings since it's got it's own challenges. While others here seem to constantly want the fastest setting avaliable.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]
If you think that just shifts the balance to downstacking, I wouldn't agree because speed is a part of downstacking. When two players downstack with equal efficiency the faster player end up better. If you forcibly lower the faster one's speed then the difference in overall downstack ability becomes slighter since their efficiency is equal.
[/quote]

Well... if the faster player has similar level of stacking then obviously he'd end up winning. That's the point though. Playing at a lower speed can end up forcing a player to play better in terms of attack/garbage and so fourth.

Sometimes I'd like to see people play at a slower pace so that they realise what they are building. It's the reason that people often have higher LPM than APMs. The better players reverse that situation.

Paradox

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]'m kind of skeptical about this idea. What's to say that the TF player who goes at 100 TPM won't be able to achieve 130 on BB. Others have argued in the past that speed in BB will eventually transfer over to TF, so it's more likely that you'd end up out performing that 100 TPM player if he really is just 100 TPM.[/quote]  

Thats not what I meant. If you take a bb player with their current traits and put then on tf, they are much slower. But when people first transfer over to BB from TF their TPM is the same as TF. The point is that the BB is capable of more yet his skill goes down on TF.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]What sort of ranking system would you rather prefer instead then? Something similar to TOJ/Blockbox/DS?  

I'll just bring up an argument that you have brought up in the past. One of the advantages TetrisFriend has over something like Nullpomino is the fact that it's name is catchy. The same could be said about it's ranking system. It might not be the most representitive at higher levels, but it sure does simplify things for most individuals and provide seperate boundaries for ranks (Bronze/Silver/Gold).  I'm confused to why you'd only want the top 5% represented as the top rank. The number seems a little arbitrary. [/quote]

The 5% was arbitrary. I just meant that the top rank should be just what it says, it shouldn't be 100s of people. It should only be the best players. I don't know much about ranking systems but it just needs to be more strict. I like the way that it is formatted though so I agree with you there.

Its the progression system in the game. In other games you don't want people to reach lvl 99 (for example) so easily. You would want them to keep playing a long time, and make lvl 99 have a lot of value. Rank 20 on TF means nothing really, and a lot of TF players recognize that. I understand it being easy for 1-10 maybe.  If the rating system is a bit more harsh (not too harsh) as you rank up it makes people think they need to try harder. Which causes them to play more. If they reach above 10 in a more strict system then most likely they are pretty active players anyway.
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

larrytetris

On topic: The name "tetris friends" captures the social aspect of TF that is not present in NP, BB, TOJ, etc. very well. The room chat with spectators and all combined with a huge player base is really quite undeniably good.

With the digressing discussion: I think it's meaningless to be talking about how BB players transferring over to TF will be disadvantaged. If the 130 TPM BB player can only reach 100 TPM on TF, well in my eyes he's just as good as the 100 TPM player who starts on TF. Skill is relative to other players on the same platform. Everyone knows Blink and Hebo are the best players on TF and TOJ, but their game on TF may be worse than TOJ. That doesn't make their skill any more or less. The 100 TPM TF player can probably reach 130 TPM on BB: the contrapositive (correct usage? idk 4am whatever)

With regards to ranking systems, I like BB's the best, though TOJ comes close. TOJ reminds me of Social Cohesion because the net change in rank is always positive.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

Zircean

I'm pretty sure TF's net rank change is always positive too. It's how they put more points into the system (sort of like inflation). As a result, everyone and their grandmother (even the ARS purist!) is a rank 20.

Solution: Make more ranks and don't inflate the ratings.
[div align=\\\"CENTER\\\"]Dev Blog | | Google Code[/div]

larrytetris

Quote from: Zircean
I'm pretty sure TF's net rank change is always positive too. It's how they put more points into the system (sort of like inflation). As a result, everyone and their grandmother (even the ARS purist!) is a rank 20.

Solution: Make more ranks and don't inflate the ratings.

It's the Arena Challenge crowns. Otherwise plat rooms = 0 net change.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

Paul676

Solution: Make Platinum negative net change
               Tetris Belts!

caffeine

I don't understand. Why does everyone have a 19999 rating in TF, again? Crowns?

coolmaninsano

I am surprised this thread is still going.

When I was over at a friend's[/i][/u] house, he introduced me to Tetris Friends[/i][/u]. When I signed up for Live Beta, my friend[/i][/u] showed me how. I then played Arena in school with my friends[/u]. I competed for the best scored on Tetris Friends against my friends. However, when I sent the same friend the link to the Nullpo site, he said "meh, sounds too difficult."

Can you not see why the name is Tetris Friends?

Pikiwedia

@cool:

You forgot to underline the last "friend"
[div align=\\\"center\\\"][/div]

coolmaninsano

Quote from: Pikiwedia
@cool:
You forgot to underline the last "friend"
No I did not, red text with a black underline looks bad.

Pikiwedia

Meh, I said "friend" not "friendS"
[div align=\\\"center\\\"][/div]