t-spin single/mini?

Started by Shizaru, November 06, 2010, 06:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shizaru

In videos I've watched I see a lot of people open with a t-spin single and it confuses me. Why choose to clear only one line in your opening?

I read the openings guide and browsed the wiki, so I apologize if this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find anything on it

[spoiler=Additional content from thread]
Here's a video of Blink vs Samaf from a few years ago

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4786709993386080267#

Times he used t-spin single to open (stopped watching around the 20minute mark):

Every time he had a Z or S as first piece he opened t-spin single and went into various follow-ups. If he did not get an S or Z as first piece, he used a different opening.
[/spoiler]

DAS44

Not exactly sure what you mean, it wouldn't make sense to me either, but I haven't seen it done (often).

Honestly in nullpo or other games where I'm bound to get the sh** kicked out of me I just stay simple and start with one of these. Not much of a secret

[fumen]110@7eGSgIMeBDfBxlBmaBHcBAAA[/fumen]

Honestly never seen someone start out with a tss when they could just do one of these real quick. :/ Maybe once, but yeh.

crzy242

[fumen]110@7eAkYIheC3gbB3kbE3pbAAA7eCN/c1kBAAA[/fumen]
like that?
its a tspin mini single, people use it because its a quick opening for if you have s or z starts and also starts the b2b for your next attack.

it could lead to
[fumen]110@oeF3gbB3pbA4G7eBveBifBgeC33bAAA7eBliBAAA[/fumen]
so its not bad actually.
☠  crzy242

XaeL

[fumen]110@7eGTXIhlB2nBVDd9TPaACSg/DFbEcEvoo2AiSg/DFb?c9BOStVCl2AAAMKPAAOQBjdB3obG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ib?F3jbC3gbA3rbAAA7eKNhc1mcdRBAwNTAMOprDzoo2AzIReE?lsCSASY2AANwc11cdgBNvqUAMOprDzoo2AzIReElsCSASo2?KB1kBAwNUAMOprDzoo2AzIReElsCSASo+UBAAA[/fumen]

A common setup where tss is useful. (TOJ garbage)

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

crzy242

Quote from: XaeL
[fumen]110@7eGTXIhlB2nBVDd9TPaACSg/DFbEcEvoo2AiSg/DFb?c9BOStVCl2AAAMKPAAOQBjdB3obG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibG3ib?F3jbC3gbA3rbAAA7eKNhc1mcdRBAwNTAMOprDzoo2AzIReE?lsCSASY2AANwc11cdgBNvqUAMOprDzoo2AzIReElsCSASo2?KB1kBAwNUAMOprDzoo2AzIReElsCSASo+UBAAA[/fumen]

A common setup where tss is useful. (TOJ garbage)
you forgot to add the +1 line at the start, for doing the tspin mini itself, and toj garbage b2b tspin mini is 2 lines, not 3

fixed:
[fumen]110@7eGTXIhlB2nBVDd9TPnAxno2AsOprDFbcRASk1uATJ?2JEFbcEEJGeTASIT5DurkrDFr4AAMKPAAOQBjdB3obG3ibG?3ibG3ibG3ibG3ibF3jbC3gbA3rbAAA7eKNhc1mcdRBAwNmA?4no2AsOprDzoo2AFbmfDSz88AQu8QEJG98AQeS5DQDVTAyl?AAANgqAA11cdgBNvqmA4no2AsOprDzoo2AFbmfDSz88AQu8?QEJG98AQeS5DQDVTAylAAA1UPAAAwNuALr78AQC2JElN98A?wnoRBC8MTASYFbEwOpTASoF5Du+88AwM2JEHDVTAylAAAAw?NcAU3WeDsoo2AsOprDzoo2AzIReElsCSASo+UB[/fumen]
☠  crzy242

Shizaru

Quote from: crzy242
[fumen]110@7eAkYIheC3gbB3kbE3pbAAA7eCN/c1kBAAA[/fumen]
like that?
its a tspin mini single, people use it because its a quick opening for if you have s or z starts and also starts the b2b for your next attack.

it could lead to
[fumen]110@oeF3gbB3pbA4G7eBveBifBgeC33bAAA7eBliBAAA[/fumen]
so its not bad actually.
Yeah something very similar to that if not just like it.

I didn't realize a t-spin single doesn't break a back to back, can you t-spin without clearing anything and set up and back to back that way?

crzy242

Quote from: Shizaru
Yeah something very similar to that if not just like it.

I didn't realize a t-spin single doesn't break a back to back, can you t-spin without clearing anything and set up and back to back that way?
no the tspin has to clear lines start/continue back to back
☠  crzy242

Paradox

[fumen]110@7eKycIPiBWoBtAdVmBLjBJaBEdBufBtAdlgBsexNsb?AAA[/fumen]
[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zqx63k.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

virulent

i'm with crzy on this one..i think people do it cause they have a z/s start n don't wanna waste time holding, although i don't think it's worth it since tspin double only takes a few more pieces n adds 4 as opposed to [1 i believe?] on toj tspin minis don't add unless they're connecting b2bs [i tested it..but i could still be wrong]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
[/div]

ZeroT

I open with the TSS as much as anyone, its starts the b2b and who knows some times that one hole of garbage it sends could be under a big stack and be hard to clear.

When the hole is on the side, I tend to stack up for tetrises after the TSS; if its one of the others, I Tspin.

[fumen]110@de1lhbRpgbIwhb1libRpKwpbA4GJe8eob8ejbkzhb1?loUMRgbQpgb0lkzgb1loUMRhbQpgb0lsbAAAJeEYobEYibk?zcDhbNREYgbQpgb0lgbcD4GNREYhbQpgb0l4GWKpbAAAXec?DmboUwNcDMRQpgb1laixNcD1lZipbAAAJe8eob8egbQpmb8?eQpYilzxNIwNREYYisskzhbwNYi1lpbAAA[/fumen]

Went through a couple bags and these are some I tend to do.
☠ ZeroT

chopin

Yeah, many players depending on the type of game will have different strategies. Most of the time players want to send the messiest garbage so that the garbage sent doesn't come right back. They also want to make every line count which is also a form of efficiency. A TSS clears only one line leaving more lines or attack potential to send other things.

A lot of Japanese players do use TSS openings. In essence you're not really wasting any time by choosing TSS over TSD though because you have no real trouble yet. TSS is super important to learn on TOJ, it's super useful and fun too.

Ravendarksky

Quote from: chopin
TSS is super important to learn on TOJ

Why?

Shizaru

Quote from: virulent
i'm with crzy on this one..i think people do it cause they have a z/s start n don't wanna waste time holding, although i don't think it's worth it since tspin double only takes a few more pieces n adds 4 as opposed to [1 i believe?] on toj tspin minis don't add unless they're connecting b2bs [i tested it..but i could still be wrong]
From what I've seen it tends to lead to a fast t-spin double follow up. Making it a back to back might be worth it? That would be what? 7 lines total?

I'm curious about this because the openings guide mentioned to do faster setups if you're a slower player, which I am at the moment, and I was getting crushed by 4-wide combo play earlier today

Here's a video of Blink vs Samaf from a few years ago

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4786709993386080267#

Times he used t-spin single to open (stopped watching around the 20minute mark):

Every time he had a Z or S as first piece he opened t-spin single and went into various follow-ups. If he did not get an S or Z as first piece, he used a different opening.

larrytetris

Usually if I get a Z or S start, I C-spin. :/
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]www.hrlarry.com[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
~Martin Luther King Jr.
[/di

XaeL

wow, the speed blink plays in at that video is like.. slower than most of the top 50 in HD now...

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.