What do people play more? Tetris DS or Tetris Party Deluxe DS?

Started by Gillz, October 01, 2010, 11:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gillz

Quote from: mathilde
Without a doubt, more people still play TDS. Even if your opinion is that TPD is a better game, the online player base is sparse at best, and in a few months will be totally non-existent. Rating in TPD is worthless, it's more like 'experience points' rather than an actual indication of how strong you are. In TDS, rating does actually mean something, and it's far far easier to get matchups against players that are similar to your skill level.

This is exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for.

Can anyone attest to this? Agree or disagree? Does TDS house the better players?

jujube

Quote from: EnFuego
Who cares about rating anyways? The only point would be to use it to find more accurate matches.
well that is a good reason for there to be a sensible rating system. when players are randomly matched there are more mismatches, which makes strong players bored and new players frustrated. that's not going to help make the game successful.

a lot of people do care about their ratings anyway. and when two high rated players run each other's ratings into the ground it sucks. a few months ago i was #1 in 2p no items and i played against the #2. i lost 500 points and he lost 900. so if i cared at all about my rating and the amount of time it took to achieve it, i had every incentive to never play world battle again, and i haven't. the last time i checked the leaderboard i saw he hadn't played either. there's also the issue of not gaining points when your opponent disconnects.

of course you can just play and not worry about your rating, but you can do that in any game. the difference is that in TPD there are enough people turned away by the faulty rating system to make a negative impact in the player base. i still think the popularity of both games will come down to the number of copies in existence. if TPD remains in print long enough and enough people buy it, it will surpass TDS in every way imo. but for the time being i think you'll find at least as many players on TDS, including most of the players who care about ratings, and they are generally strong players.

the multiplayer in each game is pretty different so i don't know if one is objectively better than the other. i'd gladly play TDS worldwide or TPD (friend match or vs cpu). in TDS you have less ways to send lines, the line clear delay is longer and there are no combos (so you should only make a single to shape your stack for a T-spin or tetris), and the garbage is more random, so there's a more exact way you have to play, which i like sometimes. sometimes i like the more extreme attacks and faster pace of TPD.

single player is much much better in TPD. i could name 30 reasons why but i won't

Beastin_Shen

Quote from: jujube

single player is much much better in TPD. i could name 30 reasons why but i won't

TDS 1 player had some fun modes! its been a while though. mission, catch, and push come to mind. puzzle too forever to complete

i havent bought tpd, but im considering it now
<div style="overflow: hidden; background-image: url(http://harddrop.com/design/pic/badges/bg_black.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 285px; height: 80px;position:relative;"><span style="width:60px;height:80px;float:left;overflow: hidden;margin-top:10px;margin-left:10px;"><a href="http://hard

Imperatore_Magia

Quote from: Beastin_Shen
TDS 1 player had some fun modes! its been a while though. mission, catch, and push come to mind. puzzle too forever to complete

i havent bought tpd, but im considering it now

Puzzle was a great mode, but I found that there weren't enough puzzles in it and they didn't require enough steps.  They usually only took a couple of tries to figure out.  They also should have been randomised, since after a puzzle has been solved once it's too easy to remember what order to play the pieces in.  

So, something along the lines of the B-type in the NES and Gameboy Tetris games.  The goal would be to complete as many as possible in as little time or within a limit.
I imagine that would be difficult to code, though?  Something that could determine random configurations that would have a definite solution requiring specific pieces in a certain order.

An alternative would be a confluence of both approaches.  Solve for example; 10, 25, 50, 100, or 200 puzzles determined from a pool of thousands of predetermined arrangements.

I just recently acquired Tetris Party Deluxe, but my current internet service provider won't allow me to configure my DS for netplay, even though I have the Wi-fi adapter.

EnFuego

Quote from: jujube
well that is a good reason for there to be a sensible rating system. when players are randomly matched there are more mismatches, which makes strong players bored and new players frustrated. that's not going to help make the game successful.

a lot of people do care about their ratings anyway. and when two high rated players run each other's ratings into the ground it sucks. a few months ago i was #1 in 2p no items and i played against the #2. i lost 500 points and he lost 900. so if i cared at all about my rating and the amount of time it took to achieve it, i had every incentive to never play world battle again, and i haven't. the last time i checked the leaderboard i saw he hadn't played either. there's also the issue of not gaining points when your opponent disconnects.

They rating system falls apart the higher you get in TPD. But, if you wanted a most accurate measure of skill it won't be the spot you are at on the leaderboard in rating. I think there comes a time when I would rather challenge the best players and set-up something not-rated to see how good I was. In neither game does the rating system reflect precisely how good you are, but only a poor estimate.