Turn-based tetris?

Started by DrPete, August 31, 2010, 07:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maii04

blockbox garbage with this game is screwing people over. that garbage is more for speed and not skill.

chopin

Also... this didn't count as a J-Spin Double for me... Just a Double.

Edit:
[fumen]105@XdA3obA3obA3obA3hbH3ibI3gbH3hbH3hbH3gbG3pb?A4G7eDurcWxc+bBAAA[/fumen]

Maii04

Quote from: chopin
Also... this didn't count as a J-Spin Double for me... Just a Double.

[fumen]v105@XdA3obA3obA3obA3hbH3ibI3gbH3hbH3hbH3gbG3pb?A4G7eDurcWxc+bBAAA[/fumen]

fail fumen

meow

[fumen]105@XdA3obA3obA3obA3hbH3ibI3gbH3hbH3hbH3gbG3pb?A4G7eDurcWxc+bBAAA[/fumen]

that's because it's not immobile. the piece can freely move up one cell.

chopin

Oh... interesting. That still counts? I figured it would count since it literally can't move up one cell, you know what I mean? In most games that counts as a JSD though...

Someone2knoe

And also... maybe there should be some sort of way to balance the advantage of starting first. In the game of Go, the player who goes second gets a few points added to his/her score.

I posted this 2 times, 1 in response to you .

Garbage needs to be added after the 1st turn of both players, so that the person going first doesn't have a 7 piece speed advantage. I think that is a better option than having a tetris komi lol.

Also it would be possible to tie if both players top out.
'
I think that the area above where you top out should be visible, and you should only lose if the garbage reaches where you will top out. That way if you go first you won't lose from dropping a piece.

meow

Oh... interesting. That still counts? I figured it would count since it literally can't move up one cell, you know what I mean? In most games that counts as a JSD though...

It counts in 4 point corner recognition of spins because the corners are all filled but does not count in immobile. Most games use 4 point (guideline), Nullpo has both.

One of the advantages of immobile spin detection is that it doesn't reward spins like these which can clearly be hard dropped into their positions. I believe we call these EZ or mini spins (I forget again).

[fumen]105@deD3lbE3hbC3pbs5jheRpobRpsbAgbheRpobRphbAA?pbSDdbeZiobYiobYipbAgbbepUoboUoboUpbVDdcessnbts?obsspbAgb[/fumen]

Of course, you could view it as a drawback as well. This is why there is no perfect spin detection algorithm, for all spins at least.

chopin

Oh okay, I see now. And S2K... how do you know what a Komi is?!?!! Lol. Nice.

Someone2knoe

Because I know how to play Go.

chopin

I'm only like a 10 Kyu and I haven't played in ages...

zaphod77

The term for a "spin" that could have been reached without twisting is an EZ-Spin.

A Mini is a spin where part of the 3x2 box containing the piece has a hole in it (with a few exceptions)

myndzi

The hidden space at the top is actually a mistake, I assume it will be fixed. DrPete misunterstood the wiki's description of the invisible area, so it is actually 5 high with pieces spawning at the top of it. Making it visible would be silly, then you wouldn't be playing on 10x20 anymore.

I kind of like it, though - you get to play a little bit of invisible and can make some clutch moves sometimes.

New people coming to the thread should read or skim it, the same things have been suggested over and over... there just hasn't been an opportunity to get it done yet.

Someone2knoe

Are you saying that once it gets fixed you will die once the piece spawns if there is no room on the field?

chopin

I actually like the 2 above as well.

chopin

I've played about 50 games in the last three days. I need more. People challenge me please.