BlockBox on linux + Firefox: error

Started by alex_tetfor, May 30, 2010, 02:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex_tetfor

Apparently everyone here is crazy with BlockBox; what's too bad is I'm having an error while trying to play it under linux. If anyone has an idea how to fix this, it would be a big help!

details:

when trying to play the game, I get "gamepoint is checking your java installation"; then the java itself launches and immediately give an error. Clicking then asking for "details" gives me the following java error:
"load: class games.blokkendoos.client.BDClient.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: games.blokkendoos.client.BDClient.class"
And some more info.

uname -r :  Linux debian 2.6.32-trunk-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jan 10 22:40:40 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

java -version:
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8) (6b18~pre4-1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)

firefox version 3.5.9

solo2001

the same thing happens on macs, our java just doesn't support it!!

Unless you get the new mac OS "snow leopard", but i'm not paying 30 effin' dollars just for blockbox!
[15:40] DAS44: trolliest thread ever was solo's

Wojtek

Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

alex_tetfor

Thanks for the answers!

solo2001: I'm running linux, not mac OS X

Wojtek: I have indeed installed sun's java (package sun-java-plugin, sun-java-jre, in particular).

Wojtek

it works now? If not, you probably need to make sun your default java.
This is how you do it on Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java .
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

alex_tetfor

Woktek:

I tried doing that, but apparently I was already using the right java. I can confirm that I still can't play the game, with sun-java-jre and sun-java-plugin packages intalled, and with sun's java selected as default java machine. (tried the other one too, of course; got the same error). Rats. It works on windows, but I'd hardly call that optimal....

As a completely different question, is it possible to play Blockbox offline? I know I often save flash games (adblock gives me the url of the swf, then I wget it; alternatively, Ctrl-S will save the page with the flash game if the page is simple enough). This has the great adventage of stilll working if the game is removed for whatever reason; and as I understand, this could happen to blockbox someday. Of course, it's also nice to be able to play on the train. Or is blockbox's multiplayer the main appeal to you guys?

Wojtek

stange, i remember having this error in other situation, blockbox jar file is packed with pack200 thing and this may cause some problems. do you know update-java-alternatives has --plugin switch? maybe your plugin still use openjdk. i don't play blockbox and i don't use linux so i may not be best person to help you.

it's not possible to save blockbox and play it offline. it's not even possible to save it on disk and play it online, because of some security restrictions i think.

have you tried nullpomino yet? I works very well on linux and has some good single player as well as awesome netplay.
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland

Anonymous

Actually, not that many people play blockbox ;( but it's still an awesome game .

Try playing it on spelpunt (the dutch website)

http://www.spelpunt.nl

and then click on the blokkendoos one. If it works, click on option 2 to sign in as a guest or option 1 to create an account.
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

Wojtek

btw, i just booted my linux and blockbox works fine:
wojtek@charlotte:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_15"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode)
wojtek@charlotte:~$ uname -a
Linux charlotte 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 04:38:19 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
wojtek@charlotte:~$ firefox -v
Mozilla Firefox 3.5.9, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2010 mozilla.org

must be something wrong with your java or firefox
Recommended games:
NullpoMino
Tetris Online Poland