new setup?

Started by Fraaankie, February 09, 2010, 09:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shizi

no worries frankie iv used those same settings for a decade!

Fraaankie

jujube

Quote from: virulent

the optimal way to position your keys are to have rotations [left and right] on 1 hand and left/right/softdrop on the other hand. i think hold would also be best on the rotation hand.

i don't use that way either but whatever. it's also faster to have it in the middle of your keyboard instead of on the arrows...not sure why...i've just noticed over the years that people who have them around 'sdf/wer' and 'jkl/uio' are more pro

i think you're right, you want to divide the work between your hands. i have a setup similar to what you're talking about. but i wonder if you could mix the inputs around to take into account things caffeine has mentioned in the past, like using your index fingers the most, little fingers least, no thumbs at all, and trying as hard as possible to avoid using two adjacent keys in quick succession. it's hard to come up with a setup that satisfies all of these though. i wonder how this would work, assuming you shift more than rotate, which i think is the case:

(for a right-handed player)
J - hard drop (right index finger, used for every piece)
F - shift left (left index finger, probably used more than shift right because pieces spawn towards the right in most games, intuitive to use your left hand to shift left)
L - shift right (two keys away from hard drop, right hand to shift right)
S - rotate left (two keys away from shift left, left hand for leftness)
K - rotate right (would have to be used sometimes before/after hard drop or shift right, but using your right hand and not your little finger)
D - hold/halten/tenir (still not using your little finger)
A/; - soft drop (either little finger for the least used input, not sure which hand to use to balance the workload the most)

massi4h

Whoa jujube that looks really confusing. I'm pretty happy with wsad for HD/SD/L/R and numpad (450) for CW/CCW/Hold. You only need to be pressing one movement and one type of drop at a time, so 3 fingers on the left hand works, and I guess most people reverse it, but I generally find my left hand to be faster at tapping probably from all the guitar and guitar hero. But then my thumb is even faster for tapping so I'd much rather use a dpad.
☠ massi4h

jujube

weird that your thumb is fastest massi4h, but whatever works i guess heh. i still think that the thumb has the least potential for speed. if you used your index finger on the d-pad for a while, wouldn't you be fast with it?

i found something interesting:
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15381706

they don't mention the thumb, but say the order in velocity of the other fingers is index-middle-little-ring. if that's true then the setup i was talking about before is not so good haha. btw i said pieces spawn towards the right, which is wrong. don't know what i was thinking when i wrote that

caffeine

Quote from: jujube
i think you're right, you want to divide the work between your hands. i have a setup similar to what you're talking about. but i wonder if you could mix the inputs around to take into account things caffeine has mentioned in the past, like using your index fingers the most, little fingers least, no thumbs at all, and trying as hard as possible to avoid using two adjacent keys in quick succession. it's hard to come up with a setup that satisfies all of these though. i wonder how this would work, assuming you shift more than rotate, which i think is the case:

(for a right-handed player)
J - hard drop (right index finger, used for every piece)
F - shift left (left index finger, probably used more than shift right because pieces spawn towards the right in most games, intuitive to use your left hand to shift left)
L - shift right (two keys away from hard drop, right hand to shift right)
S - rotate left (two keys away from shift left, left hand for leftness)
K - rotate right (would have to be used sometimes before/after hard drop or shift right, but using your right hand and not your little finger)
D - hold/halten/tenir (still not using your little finger)
A/; - soft drop (either little finger for the least used input, not sure which hand to use to balance the workload the most)

Wow, jube. That's a hardcore setup there. If I were to learn a new setup, that'd be it (except I'd want both movement keys on either index or middle). I've wussified mine a bit.

I've adjusted my keys since last posting about this because my last config was cramping my hands up. My current setup just feels awesome when I play fast.

D & F move left and right.

J harddrop N softdrop (most used, fastest finger, moving down the index a little for soft drops seems to work great)

A holds (my pinky seems to be faster than my ring)

K/L/semicolon rotate ccw/cw/double rotate

My hands love this setup. Homerow FTW.

clincher

Quote from: caffeine
J harddrop N softdrop (most used, fastest finger, moving down the index a little for soft drops seems to work great)

J/K/semicolon rotate ccw/cw/double rotate
You sure this is right?
It's all about the love

caffeine

Quote from: clincher
You sure this is right?
Whoops, typo fixed.

jujube

it does make more sense to rotate with one hand and shift with the other, so you can easily do both at the same time. i wasn't thinking about that in the post i made. actually ignore that post altogether

your setup is really similar to the one i had been using up until yesterday. mine was basically reversed though, with my left hand for hard drop and rotation, and my right hand for movement and hold. it's a well balanced system i think, and i don't blame my slowness on this setup at all.

yesterday i changed my input method but i'm not ready to go into detail about it. still tweaking.

caffeine

Hahahaha. We must change our setups more than everyone here combined. It's the way of the tater tot!

jujube

yeah we'll figure it out one day heh. i like to think we're not going in circles  

like Sonic® perfected the tater tot, the tater tot will perfect tetris..or something.