Strategy Talk: Placing The Gap

Started by Corrosive, January 21, 2010, 10:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jujube

i don't think it's that far off topic heh. the player's tapping speed could be a factor in deciding where to make the gap, or if it really matters where the gap is in a particular game with slow or fast DAS.

Someone2knoe

Well I think it varies from person to person and what version of tetris you play.

I play blockbox,  It feels like pressing two separate keys (das and tap) is faster for me, despite the delay before autoshift. When I have to press the same key twice, I'm not as fast. Especially because on the right side (where pressing movement twice) requires me to use my ring finger twice which is not as strong for me.

But I wrote a note anyway that I assumed DAS and tap was faster meaning it might be wrong.

I made an alternate place for a gap  if you feel that DAS and tap is slower than tapping one button twice.

*Both the orange and red pieces represent where you would have to DAS to wall and back

[fumen]105@WcbiwbZiobZimb8eob+eobYimbainb8enb+ehb9ejb?Zihb9ejbZigbG3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbB3pbAAA[/fumen]

I don't really like this way, there aren't as many pieces you can put on the right in initial orientation. Because you would have to rotate pieces to fit them on the right side most of the time, it would be slower. I prefer the previous way.

caffeine

A three split still looks decent here. In a forty lines game, it may save up to 10 keys, which is good, but easily eclipsed by needing to rotate more. Btw, only the O-tetromino requires a DAS-tap on the left side.

Someone2knoe

What do you mean by three split? A gap in the 7th column?

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Btw, only the O-tetromino requires a DAS-tap on the left side.[/quote]
That is true, I didn't know it was better to tap twice in that case until I checked the wiki.
This means that it would be better to keep the gap on the right side in this case.

What do you mean by needing to rotate more? As in you won't be able to place a lot of pieces in initial orientation on the right side? If so I agree.

caffeine

Quote from: Someone2knoe
What do you mean by three split? A gap in the 7th column?
That is true, I didn't know it was better to tap twice in that case until I checked the wiki.
This means that it would be better to keep the gap on the right side in this case.

What do you mean by needing to rotate more? As in you won't be able to place a lot of pieces in initial orientation on the right side? If so I agree.

Right, I should've said 3/7 split. My reasoning behind more rotations is that more contiguous spaces make initial orientation placements more likely, because it's easier to stack flat.

Someone2knoe

What do you mean by 3/7? Do you mean 6/3 aka 7th column(6 columns of stacking, 1 gap, then 3 columns of stacking)?
It's easier for me to just say what column the gap is in (7th).

I agree with the stuff about rotations though.

caffeine

Ahhh, yeah. That.