training spinning both ways

Started by yougosplat, October 01, 2009, 08:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yougosplat

I have a horrible tetris sprint/40L/etc time (1:33 on TF i think...)

I think part of the reason is cause i dont use the counterclockwise spin at all, i just spam the clockwise button.

What are your thoughts on this? does it make you faster? on sprint? multiplayer? etc.

I guess theres no real way to learn spinning both ways other than practicing. But any tips would be nice =].

SiRTeTRiS

Quote from: yougosplat
I have a horrible tetris sprint/40L/etc time (1:33 on TF i think...)

I think part of the reason is cause i dont use the counterclockwise spin at all, i just spam the clockwise button.

What are your thoughts on this? does it make you faster? on sprint? multiplayer? etc.

I guess theres no real way to learn spinning both ways other than practicing. But any tips would be nice =].

Well spinning both ways definitely helps because as expose to spinning a piece 3 times...6 if u miss.  It's just 1 click.  I made the change a month or 2 ago now and haven't looked back...definitely much cleaner play.  I'd recommend using BB cause it's easy to customize controls and solo practice.  The best advice I can give is to commit to it fully and then just practice it daily.  As much as you'll want to use your old way just try and forget it and as the days roll by you'll continue to get more and more used to the new button configuration or at least the usage of both rotates.  I made the switch from ARS to SRS and changed my whole configuration other then Left/Right so my change may have been more drastic but sometimes it's what you need.

Best of luck.

meow

look at this chart to get an idea of the center of each piece. that should help you with determining which way to spin.

another tip is to remap your keys if your clockwise and counterclockwise rotations are far apart such as up arrow and ctrl. most people find it easy to set these keys next to each other. i would suggest using the key on the right for clockwise rotate and the left rotation key for counterclockwise rotate.

advantages for using two spins:
-allows more T-spins
-allows more twists to fix your field
-sometimes you need to rotate in a certain direction to move a piece to some place which is only possible with one rotation direction
-less keystrokes required

hurtchow

The SRS requires for a T Spin triple shouldn't be possible if the T block moves in the middle like that.

Either that or I need an explanation.

Basically I see T Spin triples as a wall kick.... BUH its just weird, okay?

I think Tspin doubles are better
Tetris DS Friend Code: 485942 003301
My Music: http://www.myspace.com/bettergangway

iphys

I found it helped to learn ISZ separately from TJL, and think of ISZ rotations as left/right and TJL as counterclockwise/clockwise.  It probably won't save a huge amount of time, but it will save you some.

The point of SRS is it allows for super rotations of the pieces about positions other than the normal centre of rotation when the wall/stack is in the way, so that's why you can do TSTs in SRS.  Some TSSs use super rotations as well.

azn_papirus

hmm, i dont rotate both ways, but wen its for a Tspin, its as -reflex- as my other moves, but other than that, im all clockwise u.u
What a cloudy day!
No ees not ._.

hurtchow

you gotta do it both ways. it undoubtedly will cost your game if you're in the top 3 lines of the field.
Tetris DS Friend Code: 485942 003301
My Music: http://www.myspace.com/bettergangway

WhiteTigerShiro

Spinning both ways is something that I eventually just kinda picked-up, and you know something?  I honestly couldn't tell you which button spins the pieces which way.  It's like my fingers have little brains in them that do the thinking for me.  I wanna flip a piece a certain way, and my fingers do the work for me.
"Not all who wander are lost."  -J.R.R. Tolkien
http://whitetigershiro.blogspot.com/

tepples

I was clockwise-only until I started playing Dr. Mario. That might help you too.