Tournaments

Started by Snadbad, September 13, 2009, 04:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snadbad

Hello everybody, I am Snadbad and I hail from the e-sports world. Games such as Starcraft, Warcraft-3, CS, the etc. I was wondering how a community such as HD would feel about tournaments. If we were able to publicize and gain sponsorship, would people be interested in playing them? Would people be interested in managing such tournaments? I really feel like Tetris has huge potential as a competitive game and it's not hard to understand in terms of observing as well.

Thanks for your time,

Snadbad

Stan

add tetris to gamebattles then we'll talk

lol jk
TetrisFriends Profile // Facebook
AIM: qgstkpnjtp // OS: Mac OS X 10.5.6

GOOBZILLA

Harddrop has already had an open tournamnet, and with the release on TF Live there are talks of a league and paid tournaments. You must understand that there isnt a huge playerbase such as Starcraft, War-3, CS etc, thus there are no professionally run tournamnets as it would be unprofitable for the companies to run.
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]

Goob's Money Crew[/div][div align=\\\"center\\\"]
[/div]

Snadbad

Quote from: GOOBZILLA
Harddrop has already had an open tournamnet, and with the release on TF Live there are talks of a league and paid tournaments. You must understand that there isnt a huge playerbase such as Starcraft, War-3, CS etc, thus there are no professionally run tournamnets as it would be unprofitable for the companies to run.

Ah, I see. Well the release of TF Live could definitely serve as a major playing platform but the whole idea behind marketing in e-sports is simply getting the 'name' out there. As for audience attention, I am 100% positive it is easier to commentate and watch tetris than it is to watch Warcraft 3, CS, or Starcraft. So under those premises, it should be a much more valid option for sponsors and the likes. But my question still stands, would there be interest among the community to arrange such events?

jujube

i don't think you'd have trouble gaining interest around here haha.

Anonymous

I would love to have (more) Tetris tournaments.
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

meow

Quote from: Snadbad
Ah, I see. Well the release of TF Live could definitely serve as a major playing platform but the whole idea behind marketing in e-sports is simply getting the 'name' out there. As for audience attention, I am 100% positive it is easier to commentate and watch tetris than it is to watch Warcraft 3, CS, or Starcraft. So under those premises, it should be a much more valid option for sponsors and the likes. But my question still stands, would there be interest among the community to arrange such events?

yes, it's easier to watch than those games because most people have played tetris at one point. its harder to commentate because the action is too fast and theres really not much to say. games range anywhere from 10 seconds to over a minute and you'd be repeating the same comments during a series.

from an entertainment perspective, tetris definitely falls behind. there are great matches to watch (blink vs samaf series) but the difference in skills between top players are far too great. this means that the only entertaining matches are those of the same top players. unlike other games, particularly starcraft, there's hardly any suspense or variability in tetris matches. the outcomes of a match are also too easily determined eg. oh it's blink vs <anyone>, is it gonna be 10-0 again, maybe 10-2?

people also tend to classify tetris gamers as a super geek or something much more extreme than other popular games (warcraft, starcraft, CS).

we've had some discussion of tetris as an esport in the past. check out the korean tetris videos / burger king tetris. i dont believe tetris can become a real esport (ill be happy if im wrong). if you really want to spread esports, i'd stick with introducing people to starcraft since that's the best game to watch by far.

EnFuego

Tetris has a crazy large casual community. It would be a successful esport if you could get all the people who play it on facebook or their cellphone to watch. It has a lot of potential. With tetris you can get non-gamers to watch. A lot of people would never watch (or even heard of) starcraft that might watch tetris.

Red_Star

Quote from: EnFuego
Tetris has a crazy large casual community. It would be a successful esport if you could get all the people who play it on facebook or their cellphone to watch. It has a lot of potential. With tetris you can get non-gamers to watch. A lot of people would never watch (or even heard of) starcraft that might watch tetris.

Personally, I find most of the actual TTC tetris games boring to watch. I am not saying people aren't playing with skill, but it doesn't change it from looking boring. Most of the games are slow and have easy to clear garbage. Not to mention a lot of casual players won't understand T-spins, which will be a good deal of the match if it is a TTC game.

I think fast block stacking looks cooler, but at the same time even that might not be enough. Some people are amused by people stacking fast, but would that be enough to keep people watching? I would love to see a tournament seen of tetris, especially since it could really produce some top notch players, but I am skeptical at how well it would work.
Play Cultris

iphys

Yeah, more Tetris tournaments would be sweet, and sponsorship would be amazing.  I wouldn't mind managing a tournament.

hienwa

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]But my question still stands, would there be interest among the community to arrange such events?[/quote]
We had our first open tournament awhile ago with about 60 participants. It was online though, I'm not sure how many of us would want to travel to some location unless the prize is good and the publicity is there. Can I ask you which company you work for? I'd like to see the previous tournaments you've held just to get an idea of how big it was.
http://www.freetoplay.org - for free online games and MMOs!

Snadbad

Quote from: hienwa
We had our first open tournament awhile ago with about 60 participants. It was online though, I'm not sure how many of us would want to travel to some location unless the prize is good and the publicity is there. Can I ask you which company you work for? I'd like to see the previous tournaments you've held just to get an idea of how big it was.

I don't work for any company, and I ran a prior warcraft 3 team that had some pretty large semi-pro names. I would search for sponsorship and I'm pretty sure there are a few companies who wouldn't mind doing it if the participants were there. And yeah, chances are it'd have to be an online tournament simply because gathering people is hard work and requires a lot more money than getting a few people to sign up online.

hienwa

I see, I don't know if we're ready for a sponsored tournament just yet. We are still focusing on website features and improvements right now. We do plan on holding one in the future and we were contacted by a few companies before who were interested.
http://www.freetoplay.org - for free online games and MMOs!

bigwig

Unlike SC or other RTSes that mostly focus on 1v1, I think watching Tetris could get fun only during Team games. Though there really hasn't been a developed team competition system, I could see some definite strategy coming out of 3v3 games, holding a defensive and attack item, trying to team up and eliminate players, having a tank trying to clear lines as fast as possible, a "caster" trying to t-spin, something like that. TF is considering teams (http://www.tetrisfriends.com/phorum/read.php?23,820) so, at that point, I definitely predict some cool games worth watching.

Snadbad

Well that'd certainly be very interesting, a tetris 3v3 tournament would certainly be able to delve much deeper than simply line clearing. If TF does implement a system like that, especially on tetris live, it could definitely be a next generation platform with the possibility of a presence in e-sports. I guess I"m goign to proceed to bombard them with the idea of it!