riddles...

Started by michelle_o5, July 10, 2009, 11:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XaeL

Quote from: clincher
Nah, he probably means the ternary system, I thought my post made it too obvious

its ternary.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

zaphod77

A dog can run halfway into the woods. from that point, any direction is OUT of the woods.

As for behind the tree, that position is only defined relative to a point of reference.

If the tree is between you and the point of reference, then you are behind the tree with respect to that point of reference.  This point of references is usually another person or animal, but can be any arbitrarily chosen point.

This is an issue because trees usually has no "front of tree" reference point observable.   If you define what side of the tree is the front, then those who are on the other side are behind it.

Really, people.

Here's a hard one.

You have twelve coins, exactly one of which is counterfeit, and thus slightly heavier or slightly lighter than the other one. You have a balance that can only tell which side is lighter. Identify the counterfeit coin, and state if it is too heavy or too light, with only 3 weighings.

To prove you aren't looking it up, or at lest truly understand the solution, number the coins from 1 to 12.

I will give you a valid FIRST move.

place coin 1 3 5 and 7 on the left, and 2 4 9 and 11 on the right.

Generate the next two moves for all cases, assuming this first move.

Have fun.

A warmup, if the other one gives you trouble.

You have 32 coins. One of them is shaved. How many weighings does it take to identify the shaved coin? What about 64 coins?

clincher

I already know the answer to that cause I knew the riddle, I'm gonna let people that don't know it figure it out
BTW a spoiler option would be nice for this kinda situation
It's all about the love

jujube

Quote from: zaphod77
As for behind the tree, that position is only defined relative to a point of reference.

If the tree is between you and the point of reference, then you are behind the tree with respect to that point of reference.  This point of references is usually another person or animal, but can be any arbitrarily chosen point.

This is an issue because trees usually has no "front of tree" reference point observable.   If you define what side of the tree is the front, then those who are on the other side are behind it.

Really, people.
something tells me the answer is supposed to be "cuter" than that.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Here's a hard one.

You have twelve coins, exactly one of which is counterfeit, and thus slightly heavier or slightly lighter than the other one. You have a balance that can only tell which side is lighter. Identify the counterfeit coin, and state if it is too heavy or too light, with only 3 weighings.

To prove you aren't looking it up, or at lest truly understand the solution, number the coins from 1 to 12.

I will give you a valid FIRST move.

place coin 1 3 5 and 7 on the left, and 2 4 9 and 11 on the right.

Generate the next two moves for all cases, assuming this first move.

Have fun.
[/quote]
are all of these coins supposed to be the same type of coin? it doesn't seem like enough information. if you had a random mix of pennies, nickels, and quarters for example, i don't see how you could isolate any counterfeit coin from the group.

zaphod77

Quote from: jujube
something tells me the answer is supposed to be "cuter" than that.
are all of these coins supposed to be the same type of coin? it doesn't seem like enough information. if you had a random mix of pennies, nickels, and quarters for example, i don't see how you could isolate any counterfeit coin from the group.

Yes all the coins are supposed to look identical. otherwise it would not be a puzzle.

I decided to give the first step away, because it's no help if you don't understand the problem, and i made it different from all other first steps on the net to stop the googlers.

jujube

ok thanks. i won't be able to get online for a day or two, but i'll try to have the answer next time, unless someone else beats me to it.

Paul676

This is more a mathematical problem rather than a riddle.
               Tetris Belts!

XaeL

i probalby have the wrong idea, but i remember something about using thirds rather than binary splitting
for example/
if you have 3 coins
1 vs 2
1 vs 3
then you'll know which one is lighter/heavier

for 12, maybe something like
1234 vs 5678 (if their equal then u know that 9-12 has the counterfeit)
and then i didnt think that far ahead so now i'll shut up.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

caffeine

This one may be too easy. I'm not very good at these things.

Okay, there are seven of these, and many of us are familiar with them. They come in similar shapes, but have differences, which affects their usefulness. I know their names by heart, but I've seen some people mix them up. What am I talking about?

Paul676

Tetris Belts!

caffeine

Quote from: Paul676
Tetrominoes.
Nope--the seven dwarfs, of course. =]

Here's another: there are seven of these, which take great skill to manage them properly. Most of us would be very reluctant to go too long without coming back to them at least once in a while. You could say there's something mysteriously addictive in their nature.

Paul676

Tetris Belts!

caffeine

Wrong: the seven deadly sins. Another: there are seven of these. Concerning the medium on which these seven are presented, production happens in Hawaii, and there's a catchy theme song.

SecretSalamander

Paul676

Tetris Belts!