mzhang - Introduction

Started by mzhang, June 29, 2009, 01:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mzhang

Hi all,

I was first introduced to Tetris back in 4th grade when my parents bought me my first Game Boy, and Tetris came free. I played for a little in the car but soon became bored because I wasn't very good at it.

In my senior year of high school, many of my friends had "Ztris" installed on their calculators and played it during class. I tried playing but was terrible at it. I distinctly remember not understanding how people figured out the "right place" for each block.

A little while afterwards, I began playing N-blox online. With the advent of Facebook applications, specifically N-blox evil edition, I started playing tetris against other people and immediately became hooked. Now, I am glad to meet many of you who are so knowledgeable about Tetris because I still have much to learn.

I dislike t-spins (tetrises should be worth more), love the feeling of efficient stacking (it's beautiful), and use only the up key to rotate (atm refusing to learn to rotate both ways). My favorite modes are 40 lines/battle. I am 19 years old and a rising junior at Duke University. I don't know what I want to do with my life, but hopefully it will involve less tetris (it's too addicting!). I love travelling.

Corrosive

Quote from: mzhang
I dislike t-spins (tetrises should be worth more), love the feeling of efficient stacking (it's beautiful)

Amen. Dude I live in NC I go to High Point University. I'm gonna be a Junior in the fall too. How is Duke?? Rich mofo.
"私は高速ブロックとセクシーな女性が好き"
"Put some stank on those blocks."

Blink

Junior at Duke and barely 19 years old?  smart guy, welcome!

Rosti_LFC

atm refusing to learn to rotate both ways
You're going to have to eventually if you want to actually get good. No point delaying the inevitable.

jujube

using both rotations makes any type of player faster. if you ever want to pick up 20G it's going to be incredibly helpful, if not necessary for maneuverability.

good to see you mzhang.

clincher

WOW you don't rotate both ways? you're pretty good but you should learn  anyway welcome
It's all about the love

iphys

OMG, Ztris!  My friends and I all had those TI-85 Tetris clones and we used to link up our calculators and play when we were in undergrad.  I still have my TI-85 and TI-89, so I was thinking of reinstalling those games and playing them, but haven't got around to it.

lampi

I just battled him on Tetris Friends Live and came here to attest that he's a really skilled player (:
Never thought it was possible to be so good without using T-Spins and rotating in only one direction!
Tried lots of T-Spin openings only to have my a** kicked haha, had to resort to pure back-to-back tetrising to be able to beat this guy.

Shizi

everyone is playing tf now huh... bb seems empty whenever i go on

Rosti_LFC

Quote from: lampi
Never thought it was possible to be so good without using T-Spins and rotating in only one direction!

It's only possible in Tetris Live where they've nuked both the speed you can play at and the damage t-spins do.

SpawN

Hi all,

I was first introduced to Tetris back in 4th grade when my parents bought me my first Game Boy, and Tetris came free. I played for a little on the car but soon became bored because I wasn't very good at it.

In my senior year of high school, many of my friends had "Ztris" installed on their calculators and played it during class. I tried playing but was terrible at it. I distinctly remember not understanding how people figured out the "right place" for each block.

A little while afterwards, I began playing N-blox online. With the advent of Facebook applications, specifically N-blox evil edition, I started playing tetris against other people and immediately became hooked. I spent hours upon hours of my freshman year trying to increase my rating. After N-blox evil edition was shut down by the all-mighty TetrisFriends, I discovered Tetris Sprint. My obsession had moved on to constantly bettering my 40 lines time. In the spring semester of my sophomore year, I found TetrisConcept, and subsequently Blokkendoos, from the TetrisFriends application discussion board. After dominating all the Dutch fools haha, I was happy to find the English version. Now, I am glad to meet many of you who are so knowledgeable about Tetris because I still have much to learn.

I dislike t-spins (tetrises should be worth more), love the feeling of efficient stacking (it's beautiful), and use only the up key to rotate (atm refusing to learn to rotate both ways). My favorite modes are 40 lines/battle. I am 19 years old and a rising junior at Duke University. I don't know what I want to do with my life, but hopefully it will involve less tetris (it's too addicting!). I love travelling.

I`m on the exact same opinion about T-spins. Btw, I don't like TOJ for that reason. The T-spin is worth more than the tetris.The way you described it, I think you will like Tetron. No T-spins, no double rotation(except me) and btw double rotation in Tetron is not that much of an advantage since in that game it is impossible to reach for example 200 TPM. The randomizer will simply not let you do this. I mean, you can reach that speed, but you will have to sacrifice the beautiful stack, since there will be too many holes on it. Still, there are many games to choose from.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

nismo

Hurray for single rotation and no tspinning!  I think I can get down to the low 40's in 40L on bb using my crappy setup and single rotation.. one day soon I'll change it hopefully ;x  Anyway welcome mzhang :]

ohitsstef

. __ . you still single rotate.. LOLOLOL

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Maii04

DAS44

I just started rotating both ways :.

Yeh I still suck.