The Four And A Half Year Challenge: BEATING BLINK

Started by solo2001, October 23, 2009, 09:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think that I can do it?

"Yes, I BELIEVE IN YOU FORD!"
32 (28.1%)
"Nope"
61 (53.5%)
"Perhaps, considering your personal score vs. the allotted period of time its plausible that... wait! no, there's no way."
21 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 115

solo2001

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone and one we intend to win." – John F. Kennedy[/quote]

In Brief: For those of you who don't know, the One Year Challenge Is my personal challenge of focusing all of my time and energy into Tetris Sprint in a vain attempt to beat Blink's TF sprint time of 37.24 seconds by Halloween of 2010.

I've been playing tetris for the better part of the last two years (last 6 months on TF) and the one game that has seemed to captivate me the most is the Sprint variant which I have played to no end. Its a great game, but after awhile becomes a little dull. So I decided one day that I need a challenge. A ONE YEAR CHALLENGE.

My current time is 53.6 seconds, vs. Blink's time of 37.24 giving me a goal of cutting down 16.38 seconds. To the untrained eye it doesn't seem like a lot to overcome in an entire year, but I think fellow sprint players can sympathize with me on its difficulty. (One to two seconds every four weeks IS challenging).

I'm making this public to keep me on track: Player of the month (maybe even YEAR) if I Succeed, Banished from HardDrop if I fail. Plus, I will be updating all my records on THIS topic!

Post your questions, comments or the pending onslaught of insults. And JOIN THE CHALLENGE if you don't think that 2010 is a good enough year for you to actually do anything productive in it.

P.S. If Blink beats his own time on TF. I'm not making any promises about beating them. I'm only one man.
[15:40] DAS44: trolliest thread ever was solo's

hurtchow

Good luck. I've recently been bit by the sprint bug, myself. I like it. Probably my favorite of all 1P modes.
Tetris DS Friend Code: 485942 003301
My Music: http://www.myspace.com/bettergangway

GoldPlatedDish

Cool, I'm behind you all the way
But, isn't banishment from HD a bit harsh in case you fail?

iphys

Hmmm, it's important to have goals, but what are you doing to train yourself to surpass Blink's super speedy fingers?  I don't know if practicing sprint over and over is going to be enough, and even all the training in the world might not be enough if it comes down to a physical limitation.

Someone2knoe

Maybe its a better goal to improve, and maybe eventually beat blinks score. But a year? haha.

Shizi

one year?
yeah right, we've been playing for over a decade

GOOBZILLA

Quote from: GoldPlatedDish
Cool, I'm behind you all the way
But, isn't banishment from HD a bit harsh in case you fail?
don't you mean "when"
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]

Goob's Money Crew[/div][div align=\\\"center\\\"]
[/div]

ohitsstef

lololol gl ~  
so uh i guess i won't be seeing you next year

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

heretic

not happening bro.

it's good to set high goals, though.

solo2001

well, at least you guys are honest.

if you have any tips or strategies to help me improve that'd be a warm welcome.
[15:40] DAS44: trolliest thread ever was solo's

Blink

It's possible, and even if you end up not reaching your goal , I'm sure you will have cut your time down a considerable amount.  I don't want to ban you if you don't reach your goal though, we love you on here solo.  

As for tips - go for all tetrises and only use DAS to reach the wall, because of TF's slow settings and line clear delay.

Someone2knoe

Make sure you practice it everday, train your fingers to be able to tap really fast. I think if you did it everyday for 3 hours you would beat or get really close to his record. But thats only if you work really really hard.

caffeine

Consider the chain method. A year's worth of a more-or-less unbroken chain of 30 minutes a day, and you'll be beating blink in 40 lines and multiplayer.

clincher

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Consider the chain method. A year's worth of a more-or-less unbroken chain of 30 minutes a day, and you'll be beating blink in 40 lines and multiplayer.[/quote]
I remember that you gave me that advice when I was starting to play on BB, didn't follow it I can't just play 30 minutes
It's all about the love

iphys

Several times you triple rotated, so I don't know if you're only rotating one way, or just went the wrong way a few times, but you could be more efficient with your rotations.