Strategy idea for 20L sprint

Started by Okk, April 20, 2019, 04:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okk

I recently saw this map  side 2 wide on Jstris: https://jstris.jezevec10.com/map/3609
The map itself is not that exciting but the times are. The top players in this map all charge DAS to the right and spam cw+hd which lets them get >7 PPS (obviously faster than WR speed).
I don't know how likely this is to work, but you can definitely get it within a couple minutes of trying.
Could this theoretically be a viable strategy for WR 20L sprints? Clearing 1-3 lines korean style, building the side 2 wide, and then hoping for all pieces to line up in the well by spamming?
This would save the player 9-10 blocks which is about 1/5th of the sprint. I'm applying this to 20L only because I think the low chance of getting a good spamming bag twice is too low for this to be viable.
Any thoughts on this? Does it have any downsides I'm failing to see? Sorry if this has been posted before

Okey_Dokey

I think the best strategy for 40L is also the best strategy for 20L.

Quote from: Okk
The top players in this map all charge DAS to the right and spam cw+hd which lets them get >7 PPS (obviously faster than WR speed).
There's a fan-made game called Cultris and there you can edit the spawning orientations. The first sub 30 Sprint there was done by Jtadore who uses vertical spawning orientations and pretty much spammed the pieces in a 2-wide (you can hop on Cultris 2 and watch the replay, mode is called Maserati, 2-wide is a very common strategy in that game, with vertical spawning orientations you barely need to rotate in case of 2-wide spam, and there's also 180 degree rotate).

I think the following strategy works better: spam in the middle, then spam on the left and right walls, and then try to downstack. Only I pieces are problematic in that spam. Note that I wouldn't call a personal best legit, if it was achieved this way. 2 wide spam is OK though in my opinon. Here's me beating my personal best with this spam after only a few tries (vertical spawning orientations though, I come from a game that had vertical spawnings, and the spam I used uses some tricks like 2 frame lock delay and quick drop that are only possible in NullpoMino).

Okk

Oh I didn't even think of Nullpo or vertical spawning, it was meant more for guideline sprints. But I guess Jtadores sprint only proves that this could be a feasible strat?
The reason I think this idea is could be considered beside the downstacking strategy is that you can still play at full speed during the non-spamming phase, which compensates for the slower spamming

XaeL

Quote from: Okk
Oh I didn't even think of Nullpo or vertical spawning, it was meant more for guideline sprints. But I guess Jtadores sprint only proves that this could be a feasible strat?
The reason I think this idea is could be considered beside the downstacking strategy is that you can still play at full speed during the non-spamming phase, which compensates for the slower spamming

It's a feasible strategy. Spamming garbage everywhere was decided to be he best strategy, but i think teh community decided there should be at least one input per piece minimum (so you can't spam at 60 pieces per second 3x, you have to be quick on the hard drop key)

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.