Tetris League (of Denver)

Started by cubixcreature, March 30, 2016, 11:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubixcreature

Hey HD Community!

I just got back from a tetris tournament here in Denver, Colorado that meets once a month (every second to last wednesday) at a place called Grandma's House on South Broadway. I imagine that this has been posted here before, but thought i'd do another shoutout for them. The format is SNES Tetris (the one with dr. mario on the same cartridge) and the tournament is double elimination. There were roughly 25 people tonight, but it sounded like more people usually attend.

If you use facebook you can find more information about it here ---> https://www.facebook.com/tetrisleague?fref=ts

The place has a bar so drinks are available if you choose. I'm not even sure if there are any HD people left that live in Denver, but thought i'd reach out!

[quote name='cubixcreature' post='87816' date='Mar 31 2016, 12:01 AM']

KurisuKaatsu

If you're into casual tetris play who doesn't mind the host stealing a majority of the pot, go for it.

If you're a higher level tetris player, don't go to this. Unless you want to play a 2 minute single line race on an old tetris game while having drunk people scream Tetris every time in your face, just stay away from this "league".
(Feel free to come to the anime conventions in Colorado! I always set up Puyo Tetris ^^)

cubixcreature

Quote from: KurisuKaatsu
If you're into casual tetris play who doesn't mind the host stealing a majority of the pot, go for it.

If you're a higher level tetris player, don't go to this. Unless you want to play a 2 minute single line race on an old tetris game while having drunk people scream Tetris every time in your face, just stay away from this "league".
(Feel free to come to the anime conventions in Colorado! I always set up Puyo Tetris ^^)

It certainly appeals to all levels of tetris players, however it could be cool to get more competitive tetris players out to it... I just went to my first one, i'm not hosting it or anything. I just thought it was cool to be in a room of other tetris players.

Where are the conventions held?

KurisuKaatsu

Quote from: cubixcreature
It certainly appeals to all levels of tetris players, however it could be cool to get more competitive tetris players out to it... I just went to my first one, i'm not hosting it or anything. I just thought it was cool to be in a room of other tetris players.

That "league" only appeals to casual Tetris players. It's literally a single line clear race as every line of garbage gives your opponent an extra 2.25 pieces (9 blocks) for clearing. If there was no time limit, this wouldn't be an issue but the stupid 2 minute rule with 30 second overtime completely ruins any competitive play.

I know you don't run it, but I'm still bitter that over the owner taking 1/2 the pot for personal gain. Also as a personal opinion, I don't want to be in a room full of those kinds of Tetris players. As I said before, getting screamed and yelled in my ear every time there's a Tetris and casuals believing they're experts critizing your moves behind your back is just way too much of a toxic community to associate myself with. (No pun intended)

I have no problem with using the SNES tetris to bring in casuals, but when they act like its the most pure game for experts, I won't waste my time arguing with that.

From what I know, the 2 experts known in Colorado are me and DDR_Daniel. There could be more but we both compete on a 7dan level for Puyo Tetris. (DDR_Daniel is a god at puyo and swap also.)

I don't know the next anime convention I'll set the game up unfortunately. I think I'm going to try "Anime Southwest" but nothing is set in stone.

caffeine

Unless you want to play a 2 minute single line race on an old tetris game while having drunk people scream Tetris every time in your face, just stay away from this "league".
That actually sounds kind of fun. What happens if you top out your opponent? Does that count as a win?

Sisu

Quote from: caffeineThat actually sounds kind of fun. What happens if you top out your opponent? Does that count as a win?
yes

jixsoo

cubixcreature #1 Tetris player
go cubix!!!!

caffeine

This is interesting! I'm not convinced "singles only" is the best strategy... There's line clear delay and risk of topping out to factor in. Definitely weird rules, but kind of interesting too.

XaeL

Quote from: caffeine
This is interesting! I'm not convinced "singles only" is the best strategy... There's line clear delay and risk of topping out to factor in. Definitely weird rules, but kind of interesting too.

singles only is definitely the best strategy for their dumb rules. its "highest llines cleared at x minutes".

every line you send to the opponent means they get 2.25 pieces for free.

Its only good to tetris if they are near the top, which they wont be unless they are bad.

If the rules were more proper, like top out your opponent, tetris's would be the go.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

caffeine

Quote from: XaeL
Its only good to tetris if they are near the top, which they wont be unless they are bad.

Say player A only makes Singles while player B only makes Tetrises. Player A will need to break down the deep wells into Singles, which eats up line clear delay as well as creates more upstack per downstacked row (it requires blocking the well and then unblocking again and again). I'd imagine player B can quickly churn out Tetrises while player B is going through this process. It seems like it would be fairly easy to push player A near the top. If player A returns a Tetris, then player B wasn't punished at all (since he now gets back in garbage what he put in). Maybe Triples/Doubles are better for breaking down the well. But then there's the consideration that being up higher allows faster TPM. So, maybe it would be a gambit.

Maybe if one player starts an attack, the other player will react and ditch the Single only strategy. At that point, the person who started the aggressive play could be behind. If that were the case, then neither player would attack. On the other hand, maybe 2:30 minutes is enough for a player to finish any game with the strategy of "I'm going to top you out and disregard Singles." In which case, it could be the Singles-only player who has a disadvantage.

I'm not saying Single-only isn't the best way, but I do think it's complicated and interesting.

cubixcreature

Quote from: cubixcreature

That "league" only appeals to casual Tetris players. It's literally a single line clear race as every line of garbage gives your opponent an extra 2.25 pieces (9 blocks) for clearing. If there was no time limit, this wouldn't be an issue but the stupid 2 minute rule with 30 second overtime completely ruins any competitive play.

I know you don't run it, but I'm still bitter that over the owner taking 1/2 the pot for personal gain. Also as a personal opinion, I don't want to be in a room full of those kinds of Tetris players. As I said before, getting screamed and yelled in my ear every time there's a Tetris and casuals believing they're experts critizing your moves behind your back is just way too much of a toxic community to associate myself with. (No pun intended)

I have no problem with using the SNES tetris to bring in casuals, but when they act like its the most pure game for experts, I won't waste my time arguing with that.

From what I know, the 2 experts known in Colorado are me and DDR_Daniel. There could be more but we both compete on a 7dan level for Puyo Tetris. (DDR_Daniel is a god at puyo and swap also.)

I don't know the next anime convention I'll set the game up unfortunately. I think I'm going to try "Anime Southwest" but nothing is set in stone.

Well I would love to come play Puyo some time, i haven't played it before but it sounds like fun. If it's happening near Denver i'd be able to join.