Bad sprint habits?

Started by kb1900, October 28, 2015, 06:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb1900

Quote from: Kewra
Quote from: Aluce
From my experience, playing Cultris primarily has a strong influence on the way you upstack and downstack (but for me, mostly upstack). Sometimes, before starting a sprint session in Nullpo, I'd play Cultris. Sometimes it makes me feel as though it enables me to stack flatter and more efficiently.

I don't think learning Finesse will have a great influence on your times right now. But if you intend on getting very good, it's of course never a bad idea to learn it at any time, the sooner the better. I think it doesn't matter that much until other components (such as "thinking speed" and the ability to actually physically move/rotate/drop quickly enough and not mess up) are better as well -- but I might be biased as well since I only started learning Finesse when I felt I got stuck (and then it greatly helped me, putting me from about 48 seconds down to the 36 today).

100+ finesse points is a lot, though, so perhaps for you it's a different story, and learning Finesse might already have a strong impact on your times.

Also, I usually try to play around the fastest speed that I can handle without constantly messing up. That often means I do mess up at some point during most runs, but it also means that runs I do complete are generally fast, and I think if you play at your desired speed, you'll gradually make less mistakes until you get there. (The greatest limiting factor for me at the moment is the occasional moment where I "stutter" and don't immediately know what to do, causing me to lose like half a second or even a full second over just one piece.)

I'm having problems in sprinting as well. So learning finesse won't impact your time as someone who's moderately better?

From what it seems, finesse is one of those things that help you only in the long run or if you are already feeling like you're plateuing

XaeL

I'm having problems in sprinting as well. So learning finesse won't impact your time as someone who's moderately better?
What is your current 40L? Learning Finesse when your time is 2:20 isn't going to help much.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

Kewra

Quote from: XaeL
What is your current 40L? Learning Finesse when your time is 2:20 isn't going to help much.

Nah I actually improved when I used the new keys. The lowest I've gotten was 1:18. I just want to get sub 60 haha.

XaeL

Nah I actually improved when I used the new keys. The lowest I've gotten was 1:18. I just want to get sub 60 haha.

Just play more if you are at 1:18. Maybe learn the other rotation (you only have to learn it for three pieces - T, J and L).

tbh i got to 60s in around 1 month of playing. Many members here got to 60s in far less time than that.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

kb1900

Just play more if you are at 1:18. Maybe learn the other rotation (you only have to learn it for three pieces - T, J and L).

tbh i got to 60s in around 1 month of playing. Many members here got to 60s in far less time than that.

got 56s today  exactly 4 weeks from when i started sprinting at least 5 games a day (up to 30+). huge thanks to everyone in this thread who offered advice!! so happy right now. time to move on to learning how to downstack/spins/upstack differently and play multiplayer now!

XaeL

Quote from: kb1900
got 56s today  exactly 4 weeks from when i started sprinting at least 5 games a day (up to 30+). huge thanks to everyone in this thread who offered advice!! so happy right now. time to move on to learning how to downstack/spins/upstack differently and play multiplayer now!
Congratulations mate.

kb1900

first time i've even looked at one of my replays and oh my is it ugly....

despite naturally getting faster w/ time i need to definitely improve my stacking going forward

kb1900

new record

my cultris time is faster tho..

XaeL

You rotate most pieces once in those replays. Notice in the youtube thumbnails how all the pieces are rotated and few are in a neutral orientation.

You could reduce your keys per piece by 0.7-0.8 by simply learning to stack with more pieces in the neutral orientation. This should get you to sub 40 with minimal effort

kb1900

You rotate most pieces once in those replays. Notice in the youtube thumbnails how all the pieces are rotated and few are in a neutral orientation.

You could reduce your keys per piece by 0.7-0.8 by simply learning to stack with more pieces in the neutral orientation. This should get you to sub 40 with minimal effort

Hmm. I had this feeling as well that this was a habbit i was developing when i play c2 a lot but I am a little confused. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that im trying to stack 2 wide rather than saving line pieces for tetrises? (keeping more holes on the right = less 3 wide placement spots?)

On celerbe it says that my total rotations is around 70 on average and i see that the WRs are still around 70-80.

Should i note a decrease in my "total moves" on celerbe instead? Where I am up at 160 while the WRs are around 110-120?

Or would the statistic to monitor for maximizing native orientation be ekpt and kpt (which I thought were more about finesse faults)?

kb1900

dont mean to spam but i feel like this is my personal progression thread
so happy to have gone from 39 to 35seconds on c2 (no preview no hold)

yotipo91

Quote from: kb1900

dont mean to spam but i feel like this is my personal progression thread
so happy to have gone from 39 to 35seconds on c2 (no preview no hold)
That's some insane improvement man. Congrats!
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]

Sprints: Nullpo-26.78 (4/0),  TF-35.97, TOPW-29.461 (065-15), C2-36.58 (4.5/0)
[url=http://tetrison