Tetris Ultimate nominated for Kuso Game of the Year (クソゲーオブザイヤー)

Started by farter, August 04, 2015, 02:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farter

original page (in Japanese)

anyone to make a translation?
though i can roughly get the general idea, but i'm not confident about details.

----
update: TU was beaten by the other (and the only) opponent:
アジト×タツノコレジェンズ

2015年 次点
2015年 総評

---
another update: here comes another chance for TU, to compete for the Steam Awards:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/316750 (open for nomination on Nov 23 - Nov 29, 2016)
it's the only tetris on steam.
it's strange.
it's buggy.
it has lost KOTY 2015, it's even not the worst.
how will you nominate it?

i've chosen the one named the “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” award.
as always,

---
more update
it's just like the steam awards disappeared in sudden..

Kevcel

As much as I like this nomination, I think that...

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i.memeful.com/memes/M2N4YqM/Too-Damn-High.jpg\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"500\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i.memeful.com/memes/M2N4YqM/Too-Damn-High.jpg\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]
Day One Member of harddrop.com

VitoKing

I can't really provide a great translation, but it does point out several failings of the console versions of the game, including BGM, glitches, modes, hackers in the leaderboards, etc. Appropriate, considering what "Kuso" means.
This is a signature... enjoy.

XaeL

Quote from: farter
updated.
sad story, TU lost the 2-nominant contest........
well tbh although it is an utterly disappointing game, it is definitely not the *worst* game ever made last year.

QuoteLike many setups here, it is useful if your opponent doesn't move and you get 4 Ts in a row.

farter

Jaymod

Whats exactly the problem with Tetris Ultimate for PC? I'm just a noob so don't take this to rude, but in my eyes the "negative talking" about TU is not true:

- You can change DAS and repeat delay and other delays too (in PC and DS)
- You can change key map/schema layout in extra (only PC)
- If you need to start marathon before you can play other modes because it crashes then change compability mode to windows 7 (I have win 8.1 and it works this way; it starts with admin permission too which is bad)

The only thing I wish is an autosizable window

Okey_Dokey

Quote from: Jaymod- You can change key map/schema layout in extra (only PC)
For a long time (many months) you couldn't. All official PC games have that feature, so that's not a plus point.

Quote from: Jaymod- You can change DAS and repeat delay and other delays too (in PC and DS)
Still, with maximum tuning the game feels pretty slow. Majorly because of the long line clear delay. All inputs are ignored during that delay. If you press Hold or Rotate a little too early, then nothing happens. This doesn't happen e.g. in Tetris Friends with IHS & IRS enabled (Initial Hold/Rotation System).

Quote from: Jaymod- If you need to start marathon before you can play other modes because it crashes then change compability mode to windows 7
Those crashes also happened to me in Windows 7. They pretty much stopped after I unlocked all modes. I also think that this point is rather unimportant. Most people who wrote negative reviews played only for an hour before they refunded. For them, it was one of the major issues so it's understandable that they pointed it out.

Quote from: JaymodWhats exactly the problem with Tetris Ultimate for PC? I'm just a noob so don't take this to rude, but in my eyes the "negative talking" about TU is not true:
There's a whole thread where people explained their reasons. Here's a link to my post.

Let's start with the history. Ubisoft acquired an exclusive Tetris license.  They assigned SomaPlay for the job, a small, young mobile phone company that had never made multiplayer or puzzle games for all those platforms before. The game designer was also not experienced in this genre. Also, I have the feeling that less money was spent in development than in acquiring the license. There were massive delays in the releases. 3DS released later than expected, then a too early and bugged release for PS4 and XBOne for the sake of Christmas sales, a half year later PS Vita and another half year later Steam. IIRC they used Unity for all platforms but 3DS which simplifies crossplatform development, so I can't understand why porting the game to PC took so long. The only explaination I have is that a single person worked on the ports and that only part time.

I think there are some points where you can recognize that Tetris Ultimate was just a low budget production:
  • a very short soundtrack (which is too classic and depressing for my taste)
  • bugs that broke multiplayer and caused lags
  • other smaller bugs involving coop and stats
  • not balanced multiplayer rules
  • dumb bots (I heard they assigned an external company for that poor job)
  • resource demanding (didn't really work on my 5 year old laptop, even on lowest settings)
  • on Steam, disappearing lines on lowest graphic settings
  • on Steam, no real 16:9 resolution support (in 4 player rooms the fields are unnecessarily downsized)
  • on Steam, no real local multiplayer support (only 1 person on keyboard, no input option for third player)
Because of the bugs (and because the Steam version doesn't have features you would expect from a multiplayer PC game), multiplayer was never a real option. So you can only evaluate it as a singleplayer game. It doesn't shine there but it isn't too bad either. My major singleplayer issue is the lack of interesting modes. You have the modes that are included in every official release, no real reason to buy Tetris Ulimate just for them (Marathon: just a pain in the ass with SRS, Sprint: TU is a litle too slow to be enjoyable, Ultra: if you want to score high, then you have to use looping techniques such as ZT stacking or Infinite TST). Then you've got:
  • Time's Up: It's some kind of a longer Ultra challenge. I can play that mode forever. I gain more time than I lose.
  • Landslide: Blocks spawn randomly everywhere except for the top 4 lines. Basically, it's about making T-Spins in the top 4 lines. Not that exciting and definitely not a downstack mode that TU lacks.
  • Haunted: Play invisible Tetris. For me, invisible Tetris is not fun. Every 5 pieces or so, you'll see your field for some time. So not that hard to survive for experienced Tetris players.
I think some criticism from HD folks was too harsh. Sometimes, we lack the point of view that casual Tetris players have. I find it a bit problematic that most people here didn't buy Tetris Ultimate or refunded it. Why should anybody develop a Tetris game for us when we are not willing to spend even 10 bucks (now 5 in sales) for the only Tetris game you can really buy on PC?

Jaymod

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

PS: I spent 50CHF for that game :/ and for the 2ds 30CHF or 20 I dont remebmer anymore. Life is a bitch.

Okey_Dokey

Oh you meant the 3DS version. I was rather referring to the other versions. The 3DS version is indeed the best version. It didn't suffer from those bugs that broke multiplayer (PS4 & XBOne: opponents fields desynchronize or start flickering, 2 players are searching for a match but aren't connected with each other, before the patch a big friend list caused massive lags). Multiplayer in 3DS was also balanced although switching the garbage column every 4 lines is rather boring in my opinion (I tetris you and you tetris me). Still, multiplayer died pretty much about 2 or 3 weeks after the release. The 3DS version was also the most expensive one. PS4 and XBOne were sold for 15 Euros iirc, and PS Vita for a similar price. And the 3DS version also had different modes (I don't own a 3DS so can't tell if good or bad).

Qiato

I agree about the 3DS version garbage being too easy. And it's like they feel the need to change the garbage pattern with every game. Tetris party deluxe seemed to work on a timer if I'm not mistaken, and until it expired every hole was in the same column. I wish they would stick with either % hole change like 30 or 40, or change on attack.

The extra modes you're referring to in the 3DS version might be Rotation Lock, Invisible, Escalation, and Master. They're okay I guess, although Invisible mode isn't nearly as challenging as TF Survival.

Jaymod I'd be glad to play sometime if you want. Just send me a PM.
Tetris Ultimate 3DS FC 2939-0883-2584