Player Ranking System Discussion

Started by Corrosive, March 07, 2015, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perfectclear

Quote from: myndzi
this is a prime candidate for a logarithmic scale.

agreed. but if I am to develop some formula which is even somewhat accurate I need more data. I haven't taken classes like response surface methodology and im not about to lean on some phd-level friends for something like this lol

Antifate

Can we resubmit?

Turns out I am very bad at single player and managed to break my PBs in all 3 categories in a day :3

Aaron

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
Quote from: AlexandraI don't really know much about hot dogs but I do know Aaron is the greatest moderator ever.
[/div]

jkwon23

I think a score of 450-500+  is easily attainble for speedy comboers. Comboing doesn't require much thinking. Plus, a fast combo in dig challenge doesn't guarantee better guideline/hangame skills because someone will send a quick TSD,perfect clear, or tetris.

Here is my highest dig challenge score. In order to achieve my highest score, I had to do a lot of combos.

Ravendarksky

All I have to add to this really is that measuring peoples top performance doesn't really give you an indication of how consistent they are which is IMO much more important.

Sure on a good day I can hold my own against many people here... but on an average day I'd get wiped across the floor. My performances are very inconsistent.

I don't think it would be a workable system but basically an average of 10 games would give a much better indication of skill. I don't see any problem with this since we are working based on a system of trust anyway so there is no need for judging.

I'm not sure if I'd want to make that 10 games of dig challenge or 20. How separate are you wanting to treat scoring and survival length?

jkwon23

Quote from: Ravendarksky
All I have to add to this really is that measuring peoples top performance doesn't really give you an indication of how consistent they are which is IMO much more important.

Sure on a good day I can hold my own against many people here... but on an average day I'd get wiped across the floor. My performances are very inconsistent.

I don't think it would be a workable system but basically an average of 10 games would give a much better indication of skill. I don't see any problem with this since we are working based on a system of trust anyway so there is no need for judging.

I'm not sure if I'd want to make that 10 games of dig challenge or 20. How separate are you wanting to treat scoring and survival length?

This was my first 500+ game. Combos are too powerful for dig challenge, esp when starting from the beginning when garbage comes once every 5 seconds. I refrained from using combos until that run because they were not fun to do/watch.

Ultra + gives better ranking for hangame/guideline skills.

*Player can change the garbage setting so garbage rises much slower. This is my run at its fastest pace.

jkwon23

Dig challenge's garbage rise speed increases exponentially. That means player has to be much better at downstack to pass on to the next level.

I think cheese mode (longer dig mode) indicates downstack skill  more precisely.

Video: 100L downstack with Bag.

Video 2: 100L downstack with dory (memoryless).

jkwon23

i believe that koreans can break the 600 score barrier. i can't beat them all the time on nullpo hangame.

Alexandra

Quote from: jkwon23
i believe that koreans can break the 600 score barrier. i can't beat them all the time on nullpo hangame.

lmfao jkwon come in 2weeks and you might be able to see some of the best players come online

Corrosive

Any more feedback on this? I want to make it official soon
"私は高速ブロックとセクシーな女性が好き"
"Put some stank on those blocks."