tetr.js development thread

Started by simonlc, March 17, 2013, 10:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barneey

Love it!!!
What kind of game modes do you want to add?

simonlc

Quote from: Barneey
Love it!!!
What kind of game modes do you want to add?
Right now the ones going in for sure are Sprint, Marathon, Survival, Ultra, and Dig race.

MarioThePhenom

the orange shadow and red shadow apear to be the same color  same with purple and thenblue one, i suggest making the orange one more orange and the purple one more purple

Quote from: PandaLol no, that's ludacris. I have a sentence generator, Blink....

Barneey

Sounds good, but also sounds boring in a way. Getting tired of the same old. Was hoping for some variety like the plethora of modes and challenges Cultris II has. We already have so many of these standard guideline types. I encourage you to try something unique or new, maybe that'll get some interest.

simonlc

Quote from: Barneey
Sounds good, but also sounds boring in a way. Getting tired of the same old. Was hoping for some variety like the plethora of modes and challenges Cultris II has. We already have so many of these standard guideline types. I encourage you to try something unique or new, maybe that'll get some interest.
I'm a developer, not a game designer. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Anonymous

Quote from: simonlc
I'm a developer, not a game designer. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Hi, I created a thread a long time ago that I thought would be a cool concept for a new tetris game. It's in my signature (or you can click the link here: my tetris idea).
My awesome downstacking guide, last updated (Jan 29, 2013): Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tired of the same old Tetris games? Read my idea for a revamped Tetris game! The Next

Integration

The only other thing which comes into my mind is "Do as many perfect clears as possible within 40 lines". But that's rather lame.

PetitPrince

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
Neon TGM Evangelist :: "Tetris the Grand Master is the best (single player) Tetris ever"
I wrote TeDiGe-2 (Github | Bug/suggestion tickets | [url=http:/

farter

amazing!
but in the settings of controls...
by default, the following is displayed:
hold is X
spin right is C
spin left is Z
but it actually is..
hold=C
spinL=Z
spinR=X
......something wrong i guess..

and another.. when adjusting the "theme" option, everything changes except the background of the play field.. which only changes when the window is resized..

another.. when ARR=0, holding left/right beforeit starts, when countdown ends, it spawns 1 cell left by the original position it should be at, and "DAS" time later, it moves to the left instantly.

....the last....
when gravity / soft drop is set to more then 1G, the actual gravity is 1G less... eg. 20G=19 blocks/frame....
btw i don't think so many levels of speed is needed...
orz

simonlc

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm now keeping a list of things people want, and when I'm bored I'll probably put some in occasionally.

Farter, thank you very much for you post. I had found all those bugs before, but I'm very happy that you investigated them and shared the results.

I was gone all of last week, and haven't had time to work on the game at all. Before that I implemented the screenshot I posted earlier, fully working, scales, and did some improvements on it. But after coming back, I don't really like it anymore. I'll probably scrap it all and start again. I'm also reworking the menus, but that's been very unrewarding, so I've side tracked and started implementing new rotation systems. As I said to others before I've really been into NES Tetris, so I've implemented the left and right rotation systems from Nintendo. None of this is live yet of course, I really want to have a new design before I commit any changes.

The code base is starting to get really big now, so after the design I'm probably going to split it all into files, main, view, and gametypes.

All the UI stuff makes me wish I was designing for a fixed screen size, but I have to make sure it works on all types of devices, and screen widths, ratios, etc. Makes this a lot more complicated than I'd like, it's more of a pain than anything.

farter

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm now keeping a list of things people want, and when I'm bored I'll probably put some in occasionally.

Farter, thank you very much for you post. I had found all those bugs before, but I'm very happy that you investigated them and shared the results.

I was gone all of last week, and haven't had time to work on the game at all. Before that I implemented the screenshot I posted earlier, fully working, scales, and did some improvements on it. But after coming back, I don't really like it anymore. I'll probably scrap it all and start again. I'm also reworking the menus, but that's been very unrewarding, so I've side tracked and started implementing new rotation systems. As I said to others before I've really been into NES Tetris, so I've implemented the left and right rotation systems from Nintendo. None of this is live yet of course, I really want to have a new design before I commit any changes.

The code base is starting to get really big now, so after the design I'm probably going to split it all into files, main, view, and gametypes.

All the UI stuff makes me wish I was designing for a fixed screen size, but I have to make sure it works on all types of devices, and screen widths, ratios, etc. Makes this a lot more complicated than I'd like, it's more of a pain than anything.

yeah i understand this  keep up this good work  

simonlc

FelipeMayrink

New colors
These are actually pretty nice. Any news on sound, though?

simonlc

Quote from: FelipeMayrink
These are actually pretty nice. Any news on sound, though?
Well I tried making my own but that didn't work out well. If anyone is or knows someone that can make sounds, please contact me.

simonlc

Been a while since the last update. I'm still working on the design, and as I said, I'm not doing anything else with the game until I finish that. I've still made slight improvements here and there to get the game to look right with the new design.

I'm really struggling with the new design right now. I'm trying to get a mix of simplicity, but at the same time have the game feel like a real game, and not some crappy javascript clone. Either way, I thought I'd share a none final of the current version of the design:

[!--ImageUrlBegin--][a href=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/YZBICs5.png\\\" target=\\\"_new\\\"][!--ImageUrlEBegin--][img width=\\\"400\\\" class=\\\"attach\\\" src=\\\"http://i.imgur.com/YZBICs5.png\\\" border=\\\'0\\\' alt=\\\"IPB Image\\\" /][!--ImageUrlEnd--][/a][!--ImageUrlEEnd--]

I know it's very light, but don't worry if I make a light theme I'm always going to have a dark version. I know the contrast is pretty low, and that's what I'm going to try and dive into now. I really like the look of Cultris 2, it's pretty minimal, yet it looks like a game you'd find on PS2. I might sway more in that direction.